Sign in to follow this  
AdamGATX105

Star Trek instead of Star Wars

Simple question would you still be here if FFG had the Star Trek licenses instead of Star Wars?

Personally I think there would not have been a X-Wing format type of game at all and it would just be Star Trek Aramada and maybe a Star Trek version of Imperial Assault called Away Team.

Which with FFG attention to detail I would be a uber nerd and all over Star Trek Armada 1-2 of every ship.

Why not both? JJ Abrams can have hands in both cookie jars; FFG can do the same. I would buy a Star Trek game if FFG made it. I would be shocked if it happens. There are some interesting politics in Star Trek's licensing; largely to blame for the decline of that franchise.

Armada would be a more appropriate scale for Star Trek. Scale is the #1 reason Star Trek Attack Wing will never get my money.

Had FFG done Star Trek Attack Wing, btw thats a thing, it would have been better.

There already is an xwing style startrek game and it sucks. Scale is ludicrously off, models are hideous, and the rules are wonky.

Though i admit i think it would be better in an Armada style format. Not the same exact thing though since Startrek doesnt have anything that would correlate to squadrons but same general idea: perhaps add in the ability to attack specific systems since in Startrek often you have to cripple the ship horribly before you can even attempt to destroy it

To be honest with things like the Defiant and the big Romulan ships or even Borg Cubes you will never have a non sliding scale and the core rules for Star Trek Attack Wing aren't bad it's just horribly unbalanced and I like that every ship comes with a mission some of them even fitting for said ship like the Kobajashi Maru for Kirk's Enterprise, but yes the ship models are bad and as already said the ship/equipment balance is really bad.

would FFG make a good Attack Wing/Stat Trek Armada I surely would play it but I would also continuing playing X-Wing because I like both settings.

Edited by Iceeagle85

If FFG did ever get there hands on Trek and Star Trek Armada came out I would probably sell my entire X-Wing collection and buy into Trek Armada.

Attack Wing just surfers from being the wrong format before anything else. Sure I agree that even if Trek Armada was a thing we would still see some scale sliding with the Borg but I feel FFG could balance the whole game more.

Plus a Trek Armada would have more factions which would equal more sales. Another attack wing issue is probably too many factions keep it simple, Federation, Klingon, Romulan and Borg. Launch without Borg add at a later date maybe add Dominion after that.

Actually i remember doing the math because i had an urge to make the ships myself (space limitations prevented that) for ship sizes.

If the Enterprise-D was brought to scale with Armada models, it would be slightly larger than the Gladiator atm (620ish meters vs 500meters)
The D'Deridex class Romulan Warbird would be just shy of twice that, making it ISD size. Against popular opinion the Warbirds arent utterly dwarfing Galaxy class ships, theyre about 1050m in length. Romulans do have a few ships that are larger but theyre incredibly rare.

Borg shouldnt be playable, in ANY game, so the scale of their ships is meaningless.

The big issue of being an Armada format is none of the major 3 factions have a fighter craft. Closest we'd have is the smallest variants, which for the Feds would be the Saber-class starships, which are STILL 190m lol. Unless im missing something obscure they dont have anything smaller than that except maybe a science vessel.

Edited by Vineheart01

I know that the Romulan Warbirds don't dwarf the Enterprise D, I looked up their length when I bought the core but Attack wing also has the Defiant which is already dwarfed by the Enterprise so the Romulan Warbird would,be really big and doesn't have Attack Wing that Romulan ship from Nemesis, if I remember right that was a really a big ship.

Yes the ship from Nemesis was gigantic, also far as i know its only appearance or even mention (the time i played STO i dont recall ever seeing it mentioned, but given how much obscure stuff they pulled for that game i wouldnt be surprised if i just missed that mission).

Defiant would definitely be a Squadron in an armada format, but iirc isnt that a specially made craft for DS9 and not a mass produced thing? i could be wrong.

59 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Actually i remember doing the math because i had an urge to make the ships myself (space limitations prevented that) for ship sizes.

If the Enterprise-D was brought to scale with Armada models, it would be slightly larger than the Gladiator atm (620ish meters vs 500meters)
The D'Deridex class Romulan Warbird would be just shy of twice that, making it ISD size. Against popular opinion the Warbirds arent utterly dwarfing Galaxy class ships, theyre about 1050m in length. Romulans do have a few ships that are larger but theyre incredibly rare.

Borg shouldnt be playable, in ANY game, so the scale of their ships is meaningless.

The big issue of being an Armada format is none of the major 3 factions have a fighter craft. Closest we'd have is the smallest variants, which for the Feds would be the Saber-class starships, which are STILL 190m lol. Unless im missing something obscure they dont have anything smaller than that except maybe a science vessel.

I think the solution is shuttle craft. Both the Federation and the Romulen/Reman do have a fighter that is the size of a shuttle craft. If you get into ship lore both the Akira and the Constellation class ships had a large hanger deck/shuttle bay

If FFG ha the license and put out Star Trek Armada style game, I'd be all over it myself. There is so much potential with Star Trek that I feel FFG would have an unlimited amount of waves to put out because if they did it right, they can make campaigns to keep the game interesting for a long time. Plus there are so many ships from previous games (like Starfleet Command PC game in the 90's) that they could almost make anything they wanted and really build an amazing fleet among all the factions. 

If only that could happen..........

Pretty much.

Federation ships are largely very similar to each other in design, but what they do is usually completely different.

The only thing that FFG could do that would bug me in terms of what ships they put into the pool is allow TOS era ships. In Starwars at least we have little evidence the tech changed so much that prequel ships should be useless piles of scrap, but in StarTrek the tech jump from TOS to TNG is ridiculous, not to mention scale. Enterprise-A would melt the first time a D'deridex looked at it, let alone actually fired lol.

Thats why it bugs me that so many games DO do that. Heck, even Voyager pointed out the tech difference in that episode they came across a Klingon ship thats been on a spiritual journey for a long, long time. Long enough where they were used to Feds = Kill On Sight still. That ship fired on the Voyager and didnt even phase it's shields, if that doesnt give an indication how strong TNG tech is compared to TOS i duno what would.

edit: also, prequel ships vs trilogy is only a few decades or so. TOS/TNG is a century apart. LOT of things happen in 100 years

edit2: though i fear that if FFG did do this, they would be making it with the new movies in mind, not the well established TNG era. Horrifically limiting what they can do, but its current stuff.

Edited by Vineheart01

Well the Federation probably upgrades their ships look at how many Constitution Class ships (that was Kirk's Enterprise right?) you can spot in TNG's episodes and if I'm not mistaken there were at least two Defiant Class ships (yes the name of the first seems also to be the name of the ship class)if not more.

@Braxton

Starfleet Command was an awesome game.

Edited by Iceeagle85

5 hours ago, Iceeagle85 said:

Well the Federation probably upgrades their ships look at how many Constitution Class ships (that was Kirk's Enterprise right?) you can spot in TNG's episodes and if I'm not mistaken there were at least two Defiant Class ships (yes the name of the first seems also to be the name of the ship class)if not more.

@Braxton

Starfleet Command was an awesome game.

Only Constitution Class you see in TNG is the wreckage of one at the Battle of Wolf 359. Pretty much it was a blunt message of 'Kirk's ship wouldn't be able to handle this but watch the Enterprise D' which was then repeated in DS9 for the Galaxy when the Odyssey was KO'd by a Jem'Hadar fighter. In any case, there's the odd Oberth science vessel, quite a few Mirandas which serve primarily as cannon fodder (seriously they might as well have been made into suicide drones instead of wasting the lives of the crew) and Excelsiors which took maybe 1-2 hits and then became cannon fodder. Other than that, not much in the way of TOS ships.

Edited by flyboymb

Ah well then i probably mixed the Constituion with the Mirandas and Excelsiors or made a mistake, but thinking how long some Tanks/Fighters are in use today i could imagine the all Star Trek forces to upgrade their old ships (perhaps for guard duty instead of frontline duty). Do we see old Klingon ships in TNG?

14 minutes ago, Iceeagle85 said:

Ah well then i probably mixed the Constituion with the Mirandas and Excelsiors or made a mistake, but thinking how long some Tanks/Fighters are in use today i could imagine the all Star Trek forces to upgrade their old ships (perhaps for guard duty instead of frontline duty). Do we see old Klingon ships in TNG?

There are K'Tingas (seen in ST I and VI) that are around for DS9. The B'rel Bird of Prey (ST III-VI) seems to still be the standby for Space Vikings wanting a quick trip to Sto'vo'kor (although it did pick off the poor Enterprise D).

The Dominion War was likely a bit of a perfect storm for using old ships in combat. Starfleet was still recovering from the decimation of Wolf 359 and all of the sudden there's a conflict involving probably 3/4 of the galaxy's major powers and they were short on ships. Add to that the fact that the Dominion had rather advanced and novel weaponry compared to the Alpha/Beta quadrant players and you have to think that they decided to take out maybe a few of the Cardassian ships with century old destroyers which would be annihilated soon afterwards. Otherwise all firepower focuses on their Galaxies/Nebulas/Sovereigns and the Federation is knocked out of the fight rather quickly.

Given how at least some of the SFB ships were mentioned in the movies (Saladin class, Federation class at least) one would have to wonder if FFG would eventually take SFB into the future by starting to add these ships into the lineup? Federation class may be the dorkiest looking dreadnought ever, but I'd still buy an FFG model of it in a heartbeat.

It would really depend on how decent the game play and game group is in my area.  If it played like SW Armada then "No."  (That system doesn't appeal to me personally)

Edited by hey_yu

21 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

I miss Star Fleet Battles.  Kzinti drones and Hydran PFs with Phaser Gatlings were so much fun.

Kzinti 4 lyfe. I too wish there was even the remote chance of encountering a SFB player anywhere, or finding someone with the attention span and time on their hands to be taught the rules.

3 hours ago, Bike Stunts said:

Kzinti 4 lyfe. I too wish there was even the remote chance of encountering a SFB player anywhere, or finding someone with the attention span and time on their hands to be taught the rules.

Where are you located?

On 3/27/2017 at 5:45 PM, Hawkstrike said:

I miss Star Fleet Battles.  Kzinti drones and Hydran PFs with Phaser Gatlings were so much fun.

And Gorn anchors. Nothing like tractor beaming an enemy ship and pasting it with Plasma torps.