Sign in to follow this  
NicotineHell

The games are great, but you run into a wall should you lack people to play them with

Now I'm pretty sure I looked at about 30 various posts on this, and I know I've seen variations on the rules of some games to allow for this, but I have to ask why more games aren't coming stock with an option to play solo. Now I grasp that board games + solo = madness/blasphemy, but hear me out on this. Being a somewhat odd person who has tons of video games here, I found myself rather bored with them at one point, and started to search the web for something else to play, that would hold my interest.

That was when I discovered Arkham Horror, and upon playing that a few times I immediately bought ALL of the expansions, and also got several other games as well. Now while Arkham was fun for me, my friends were near impossible to drag to the table, and even then a pain to get motivated to spend 3-4 hours having a few drinks and doing something not related to Xbox Live.

After said gaming night, or disaster if you want to put it bluntly, I realized that my few friends are not willing to even attempt to play anything that requires any logic, dice, or thinking. They have gotten lazy due to video games...and here I ran into a major wall. When I purchased the expansions for Arkham Horror, I also picked up four other games, and did not actually look at how many players were needed for these games.

This is where you hit the wall. You have these amazing games, that are a ton of fun to play, but that can only really function well with other people. A game like Chaos in the Old World just seems amazing, but I'll never know because not noting it was designed for 3-4 players, and lacking any such, has pretty much killed all chances of it even seeing play at all(least for the time being anyway). Now I understand they are designed for interaction, choices, and strategy, but at the same time I feel they should at least have some way of doing it solo.

Now I don't know how popular these games are in other places, but in New York? I had to litterally hunt down a shop that sold them, and after that finding a group that plays has been impossible at best. Judging from other posts in various game threads here and on BGG about this, and people making variants on rules for less players, I would say this is actually the case with a lot of people.

Playing these games solo seems odd, especially if you actually have a local shop, or something close enough that sets up tables and does events and such, but if you lack this, and you lack people who are willing to give anything a shot in this range, then you are somewhat out of luck. So it probably wouldn't be such a bad idea to consider more solo options for future games, or even currently released games. I could be wrong, but I think one of the main reasons I kept hearing so much about Arkham Horror was in fact that it's totally playable solo, and Runebound was also constantly mentioned in the same space to a degree(though it's not originally designed for this, least I've read that much).

Anyway this post is huge, and my first, but I figured I'd just throw this out there, since I figure I'm not the only person who grew bored with PC games and console games, and migrated back to older mediums, ones that have stuck around for reasons that become very clear, when you sit down to play something like Arkham Horror or Runebound(which works pretty well solo actually).

World of Warcraft - The Boardgame can be played solo as one faction without changing any rules other than ignoring cards that involve the opposite faction, but you should play with 2 characters atleast.

Anyways, i'm in an similiar situation, my friends indeed became lazy, mostly because of the mmo games. They are good in lasting 4 - 8 hours for one session, but they are lazy when it comes to learn something new, a new boardgame. They always play just the old stuff like Risk for example, not really wanting to try something new. Which is sad, because there are many of awesome games on the market, expecially FFG games.

Then i have some other friends who would like to play games, but they basically don't know how to read or talk english (i'm from germany). I just hate our language, so i buy english copys of the boardgames. In no way i'm gonna buy german versions for (sorry but i have to say this) dumb people who were lazy in school to learn some english which is an important worldwide language nowadays. I realize that my grammar etc. is not perfect either, but atleast i can read and understand a rulebook and even explain it in english if wanted/needed. Besides, if i own english copys i don't have to wait an half year until the german version arrives.

Well, i'm in an similiar situation, the only plus i have is my GF. She plays with me almost all games like WoW, Descent, Arkham Horror, Civilization, Starcraft and she even enjoys all of them. But sometimes it would be nice to have more people on the table.

Depending on where you are in the world, you can always find people who play boardgames.

I found a board game group via Meetup.com. I live in Orange Country, California and finding people in a suburban setting was rather difficult, if you don't actually look. Once I found them, they are rather fun to play with.

I also have a friend who lives in the San Diego area and has a similar problem finding people to play games. Aside from the advice I gave above, I told him that he could go to board game night at the local game shop, or he could organize one himself, with the shop owner's permission of course.

I don't know what the atmosphere is like in Europe or in other non North American location, but I'm sure these solutions may apply as well.

Have to agree with OP.  Solo rules as a standard attachment to the game would make me more inclined to buy them without having to make 'em up myself or wait for others.   Working on night shifts doesn't make it easy find other gamers who are available in the morning during the work week.  So, solo games having a higher play rate than "regular" games.  And before someone says it, "No we can't play at work.  Our workstations are too spread out or filled with equipment.

I understand the point of this thread is that games should have good 1 player variants and rule sets but the main thing I picked up from the first post was that you tried a first gaming night playing AH.  Some people love board games, some people hate them, but most people need to be brought into the fold.  I would suggest if you were to do a gaming night again go for a gateway game (or two) that can bring people in, that is lightweight and can be finished within 45min/1 hour so you could play something else if people weren't into it or could be replayed if people were.  I think going from nothing straight to AH is a difficult sell.  You need to get your friends hooked on the gateway and then into the hardcore stuff later.

This is a very true post. I run into the same problems and it would be nice if the games had versions for fewer players or even solo.

NicotineHell said:

Now I'm pretty sure I looked at about 30 various posts on this, and I know I've seen variations on the rules of some games to allow for this, but I have to ask why more games aren't coming stock with an option to play solo. Now I grasp that board games + solo = madness/blasphemy, but hear me out on this. Being a somewhat odd person who has tons of video games here, I found myself rather bored with them at one point, and started to search the web for something else to play, that would hold my interest.

That was when I discovered Arkham Horror, and upon playing that a few times I immediately bought ALL of the expansions, and also got several other games as well. Now while Arkham was fun for me, my friends were near impossible to drag to the table, and even then a pain to get motivated to spend 3-4 hours having a few drinks and doing something not related to Xbox Live.

After said gaming night, or disaster if you want to put it bluntly, I realized that my few friends are not willing to even attempt to play anything that requires any logic, dice, or thinking. They have gotten lazy due to video games...and here I ran into a major wall. When I purchased the expansions for Arkham Horror, I also picked up four other games, and did not actually look at how many players were needed for these games.

This is where you hit the wall. You have these amazing games, that are a ton of fun to play, but that can only really function well with other people. A game like Chaos in the Old World just seems amazing, but I'll never know because not noting it was designed for 3-4 players, and lacking any such, has pretty much killed all chances of it even seeing play at all(least for the time being anyway). Now I understand they are designed for interaction, choices, and strategy, but at the same time I feel they should at least have some way of doing it solo.

Now I don't know how popular these games are in other places, but in New York? I had to litterally hunt down a shop that sold them, and after that finding a group that plays has been impossible at best. Judging from other posts in various game threads here and on BGG about this, and people making variants on rules for less players, I would say this is actually the case with a lot of people.

Playing these games solo seems odd, especially if you actually have a local shop, or something close enough that sets up tables and does events and such, but if you lack this, and you lack people who are willing to give anything a shot in this range, then you are somewhat out of luck. So it probably wouldn't be such a bad idea to consider more solo options for future games, or even currently released games. I could be wrong, but I think one of the main reasons I kept hearing so much about Arkham Horror was in fact that it's totally playable solo, and Runebound was also constantly mentioned in the same space to a degree(though it's not originally designed for this, least I've read that much).

Anyway this post is huge, and my first, but I figured I'd just throw this out there, since I figure I'm not the only person who grew bored with PC games and console games, and migrated back to older mediums, ones that have stuck around for reasons that become very clear, when you sit down to play something like Arkham Horror or Runebound(which works pretty well solo actually).

Well, it took me some time too to get some people to play with, and even now there are not as many as I would have hoped for, but still I would never think of playing the games solo. This would take all the fun out of most of the games. (After all I play boardgames because I want to spend my time with other people...)

@Himmelweiss: If you ever make it down to Austria give me a call, maybe we can meet up for a game or two...

Greetings from Hell

Lucifer