Gibbilo

Let's make Cassian Andor great again!...

I used Cassian Rey a lot and I really like the build a lot. Cassian does not trigger a lot, but he is a great insurance policy to keep Rey stress free. I think over two tournaments I've flown the combo I've used Cass's ability twice. 

The benefit to Cassian is the EPT slot. if the lower skill pilots had an EPT I'd never fly him. but I like throwing Snap Shot on him and Sabine with mines. it's a lot of fun and works very well. 

After using the U-Wing a lot, here are my concerns with it:

- The dial isn't terrible, but it isn't great. Engine upgrade helps it a lot. Having to telegraph the turn around is annoying. 

- Cassian's ability does not work on himself. If you build him as a stress reliving support ship I feel like your sinking a lot of points into the mechanic/combo and I don't think it's as smart as providing either tank support or flying offensively.

- The chassis is so balanced that it makes it either too expensive or too cheap for what it provides. Outfitting a BSP with just FCS is a nice 25 points, but the dial holds it back and it's not as effective as other 25 point filler options. Load it up and you can easily burn 45-55 points in a U-Wing!

I like this ship a lot, I really do. I want it to be a tier 1 ship, but I haven't found a way to do that yet. 

Has anyone tried this build?

Cassian Andor (27)
Daredevil (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Hera (1)
Inspiring Recruit (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Pivot Wing (0)

39 points.

This would give Cassian the ability to make a 1 turn, flip the title, turn around with a 0-stop and flip the title again.  Inspiring recruit would let him clear both stress from the 1-turn s-loop, or clear two stress off a friendly ship using his ability.  There's not much else to the build, but it sounds like it could be fun to fly.

Edited by joeshmoe554
fixed points

Seems like ideally you never want to use the 180 turn or the landing wings. It's quite a big disadvantage , against more nimble ships anyway, that your opponent knows that the ship will be lower agility, stationary and stressed. 

I'm not very experienced but that's my feeling so far. 

How about this:

Cassian Andor — U-Wing 27
Expert Handling 2
Advanced Sensors 3
Inspiring Recruit 1
Kyle Katarn 3
Experimental Interface 3
Pivot Wing 0

Ship Total: 39

A bit more (ok a lot more) than I'd like to spend on a U-wing, but can TL, barrel roll, green move and get 2 focus from kyle. Also could be used to fortress if that's your cup of tea.

How about a 32 pt Raging Keyan Farlander with Hera Crew?  Too expensive?  Do you even other with a system slot, maybe just collision.

Cassian with Inspiring  Recruit and Adaptibility to get him to PS7 puts them right at 60 points.

Whats a decent 40 pt closer with those 2 ships?

or even a Stresshog + PS1 A-wing would fit

Edited by piznit

51 minutes ago, piznit said:

How about a 32 pt Raging Keyan Farlander with Hera Crew?  Too expensive?  Do you even other with a system slot, maybe just collision.

Cassian with Inspiring  Recruit and Adaptibility to get him to PS7 puts them right at 60 points.

Whats a decent 40 pt closer with those 2 ships?

or even a Stresshog + PS1 A-wing would fit

I think on this list, hate to say it, biggs is mandatory to make sure keyan doesn't get plhown up intitially. But then youd have quite the team for mid-late game!

Here's a fun to play Cassian centered build:

Cassian Andor (38) 

[Cassian Andor(27), Advanced Sensors(3), Tactical Jammers(1), Rage(1), Finn(5), Inspiring Recruit(1), Pivot Wing(0)]

Biggs Darklighter (28)

[Biggs Darklighter(25), Integrated Astromech(0), M9-G8(3)]

Braylen Stramm (34)

[Braylen Stramm(25), Gunner(5), R3-A2(2), Alliance Overhaul(0), Vectored Thrusters(2)]

Cassian is effectively a 4 die primary with the reroll/focus from Rage, but he is restricted to Greens....Biggs is pretty tanky with the tac jammer and M9G8 reroll...Braylen does his stress thing, and Cassian help him clear it for the next round.  This is definitely  frustrating to fly against.

3 hours ago, Gibbilo said:

I think on this list, hate to say it, biggs is mandatory to make sure keyan doesn't get plhown up intitially. But then youd have quite the team for mid-late game!

So how bout Biggs with IA and StressBot, then you can spend points on FCS on Cassian and Keyan, Intel Agent, and you'll still have points left, hmm

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, ayedubbleyoo said:

Seems like ideally you never want to use the 180 turn or the landing wings. It's quite a big disadvantage , against more nimble ships anyway, that your opponent knows that the ship will be lower agility, stationary and stressed. 

I'm not very experienced but that's my feeling so far. 

In my experience with the U-wing the flip around ability is more of an insurance policy in case it survives long enough to need it.  I basically fly it like a Lambda (keep it cheap and make sure its not the scariest thing to shoot at).  If you put something else in the list that draws attention like Norra Wexley or Keyan Farlander, it will likely survive to the mid or late game and then you'll be really thankful that it can pull off the 0-k turn.

Lambda's (without palp) tend to be ignored until the late game because you can get behind them and kill them at your leisure.  Whereas the U-wing can still be a threat.

My favorite build is Blue Squadron Pathfinder with hera crew, gunner and FCS.  Basically it's a buzzsaw shuttle that can sit still indefinitely.

On 5/4/2017 at 2:52 PM, Lampyridae said:

Yup. It is a big Wave I X-Wing. It has an extra three hitpoints and one third the manoeuvrability. The 0-k is rubbish and almost never useful, the 0-stop is somewhat useful if you can park it where you can blaze away. The only useful thing about is it is a cheap large base. Bodhi is good in Epic. That's it.

Bodhi is amazing even for an alphastrike without spend the EPT for deadeye.

I'm not sure I understand all the hate for the 0k maneuver.  Yes, you telegraph your maneuver, but it allows you to stay in a fight.  You can't have the maneuver blocked.  Hera is great on the ship as you can do multiple turns, esp. combined with Inspiring Recruit to cancel the stress.  You can also change your mind and NOT make a turnaround for the penalty of 1 less green die.  I've personally had a blast flying the U-Wing.  Heff is my favorite of the pilots... bump for days!  If only he had an EPT, I think he'd actually be good.  I don't think it'll make its way into any tournament lists, but it's a fun enough ship.

Question for the 0k haters... would you all like it better if you didn't have to telegraph the maneuver?  Say, you simply declare that you're making a 0k-turn in exchange for a 1-agility penalty the turn you perform that particular maneuver?

8 hours ago, mkevans80 said:

I'm not sure I understand all the hate for the 0k maneuver.  Yes, you telegraph your maneuver, but it allows you to stay in a fight.  You can't have the maneuver blocked.  Hera is great on the ship as you can do multiple turns, esp. combined with Inspiring Recruit to cancel the stress.  You can also change your mind and NOT make a turnaround for the penalty of 1 less green die.  I've personally had a blast flying the U-Wing.  Heff is my favorite of the pilots... bump for days!  If only he had an EPT, I think he'd actually be good.  I don't think it'll make its way into any tournament lists, but it's a fun enough ship.

Question for the 0k haters... would you all like it better if you didn't have to telegraph the maneuver?  Say, you simply declare that you're making a 0k-turn in exchange for a 1-agility penalty the turn you perform that particular maneuver?

I am not a 0-k "hater." It's simply not a particularly useful move. As for the 1-agility penalty, would you like to telegraph your 4-k like that? As it is, a 4-k is your "get out of jail almost free" card. A 0-k comes in most handy when you are already at your most vulnerable: ie almost point blank range. I find the 0-stop is more useful.

Frankly, the ship is costed too high for such a situational move.

I've also been looking at running Cassian. Like others I've looked at Rage as an option with a couple of other pilots I haven't flown, but think could work out alright. Cassian Rage Squad. A more hit and run squad looking to utilize their Boost action to get in and out for hit and run attacks. In the rounds of hitting, they're Raging. 

There's a really cool Rage list using Cassian that I saw on Thrawn's youtube channel.  It's Keyan w/Rage, Nien Numb w/Rage, and Cassian.  It's good stuff, maybe not tier 1 but effective and fun.

Tried Cassian again tonight.

Engine Upgrade doesn't seem to make all that much difference since he often wants another action. 

Jyn Erso crew is also one I'm going to drop, hardly ever use it in game. Does anyone use it? Seemed really good on paper but generally it's just better to focus yourself. Maybe I've missed something.

Removing stress from Nien Numb was all I managed to get working, that was good. But I'm still no good with the U-Wing! 

1 hour ago, ayedubbleyoo said:

Engine Upgrade doesn't seem to make all that much difference since he often wants another action. 

Jyn Erso crew is also one I'm going to drop, hardly ever use it in game. Does anyone use it? Seemed really good on paper but generally it's just better to focus yourself. Maybe I've missed something.

Removing stress from Nien Numb was all I managed to get working, that was good. But I'm still no good with the U-Wing! 

Jyn Ersa works great on Heff, since he gets free actions when enemy ships bump him.

I'd put Hera and Inspiring Recruit on him and call it a day.  Put him in a list that takes lots of stress.  Done.

I'd love to see some upgrades in the future that allow door gunners to fire out-of-arc or something thematic.

Ditto on Heff, btw... that guy is great, hands down my favorite U-Wing pilot..  Put Zeb, and a Tactical Jammer on him and fly him with Biggs.  Ram and/or block guys.  They'll have to shoot through you (and Tac Jammer) at Biggs and you can unload with a 4-die shot.  If you put Jyn on him you can use your free actions to dump focus tokens on yourself or Biggs.  All those Focuses plus R5-P9 on Biggs is good too.  But I digress, since this thread is about Cassian.

Edited by mkevans80

This is another one of those ships that either should have been a "large" small ship, a la the ARC, or that would have benefited from getting a medium base. The large base with that dial is just too ungainly.

Alternately, add the following text to the "Landing" title:

"When you reveal a (Hard Left) or (Hard Right) maneuver, you may treat the speed of your maneuver as though it were a 1."

So if you're slow, you can at least turn around pretty fast.

Edited by PhantomFO

So I'm a few games in and the expert handling/experimental interface build I posted above is actually surprisingly good considering it's a 39 point U-wing. It gives you a lot of reposition and it really helps with the U-wing's turning around problem. 

17 hours ago, ayedubbleyoo said:

In the case for putting Engine Upgrade on Cassian, I planned on putting FCS and Rey crew on him. That way it frees up my action a bit more for Engine or even allows me to be double focused in the mix of the fight. For action upgrade cards, Heff is THE way to go for UWing pilots. 

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:24 AM, Ebak said:

I've had some great success with this list:

Cassian Andor (27)
Intimidation (2)
Enhanced Scopes (1)
Inspiring Recruits (1)
"Zeb" Orrelios (1)
Pivot Wing (0)
Tactical Jammer (1)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Corran Horn (35)
R2 Astromech (1)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Rage (1)

Yes it involves Biggs, but with careful flying it keeps Cassian alive for longer and of course protects Corran. Cassian makes a fantastic blocker and doesn't care if he is bumped because as long as he has someone in arc he can still shoot at them. You can see me fly the list in this video:

Seems like a list that could put out some good damage to the unsuspecting opponent. Then when Biggs is dead, tough choices. Does tactical jammer do much here or do did you just kinda tack it on?

I tried the following build the other day at open play for fun: 

Cassian Andor (35) - U-Wing
Expert Handling (2), Advanced Sensors (3), Hera Syndulla (1), Rey (2), Pivot Wing (0)

Poe Dameron (44) - T-70 X-Wing
Push The Limit (3), R5-P9 (3), Pattern Analyzer (2), Black One (1), Autothrusters (2)

Ahsoka Tano (21) - TIE Fighter
Veteran Instincts (1), Sabine's Masterpiece (1), Captured TIE (1), Inspiring Recruit (1)

Barrel-rolling into a hard stop is so much fun, as is barrel rolling into a green maneuver to clear stress. I was able to get a ton of use out of Ahsoka's ability, and inspiring recruit let me get double actions on T-rolls with Poe. I had trouble keeping all the timing and combos straight, but this was seriously fun to fly. 

2 minutes ago, WAC47 said:

I tried the following build the other day at open play for fun: 

Cassian Andor (35) - U-Wing
Expert Handling (2), Advanced Sensors (3), Hera Syndulla (1), Rey (2), Pivot Wing (0)

Poe Dameron (44) - T-70 X-Wing
Push The Limit (3), R5-P9 (3), Pattern Analyzer (2), Black One (1), Autothrusters (2)

Ahsoka Tano (21) - TIE Fighter
Veteran Instincts (1), Sabine's Masterpiece (1), Captured TIE (1), Inspiring Recruit (1)

Barrel-rolling into a hard stop is so much fun, as is barrel rolling into a green maneuver to clear stress. I was able to get a ton of use out of Ahsoka's ability, and inspiring recruit let me get double actions on T-rolls with Poe. I had trouble keeping all the timing and combos straight, but this was seriously fun to fly. 

Seems really interesting. Did you have any trouble keeping ahsoka alive? After she exploded how did your list do?

20 minutes ago, Gibbilo said:

Seems really interesting. Did you have any trouble keeping ahsoka alive? After she exploded how did your list do?

She survived until the last round in both of my games. Captured TIE helped, even though I popped it rather early to get shots, it was late enough that my opponents had to commit at least partially to another target first. (Edit: I should mention that she had some crazy good luck evading 2 TLT y-wings in the first game).

Inspiring recruit on her is key though, because then either she or Cassian can go down and Poe can still manage stress  

And the first 3-4 rounds are where she helps the most with action economy (I castled Cassian and Poe for 1-2 rounds and Ashoka helped load up Rey with focus, and then she helps Poe get into position with boost+focus+TL). 

Edited by WAC47