silverthorn

Best Two-Player Investigator combo.

Wendy + Rex is very fun and powerful.  Wendy has an amazing ability to draw a different token making her a very powerful wild card, and with rouge cards she can refill her hand and play well.  Surviver + Rouge is a strong combo allowing her some very powerful attacks and dodges.  Rex can bring in a very strong investigation and with his ability to take level 0 cards from any type.  I would give him some fire axes to help with combat when he needs.  Getting double clues pays off really well when he gets magnifying glasses and Dr Milan.

Edited by shosuko

My favourites so far:

Roland and Ashcan

Roland and Daisy

Daisy and Zoe

you could easily substitute Rex in for Daisy, but I really like Daisy,s free tome ability.

i have not really got to grips with Rogue, or Mystics yet, so I've started a new Dulwich campaign with Jim and Skids, the house always wins, went ok, but I'm yet to be convinced!

Wendy and Rex sounds surprising! Can they take down a big 12hp monster?

Honestly, I think that most teams are okay.   There are a few that seem like they would not work well together, like Rex/Daisy, but other than that really most of them are quite good.  It's hard to think of a particularly potent team in the sense that it is superior to other teams you could pick.  Since each character has their strengths, each team does too.

If I was forced into choosing though, I would probably go with Rex + Anybody except Daisy.   Rex is super powerful in most missions, so as long as you can have him not die, you've got a good thing going.  I wouldn't probably gravitate towards Pete or Wendy with him either, but I havent tried it, and shosuko seems to think it works, so maybe it does!

My other "combo" if you can call it that,  is Jenny + Literally anyone.  Jenny is the most versatile character IMO,  you can build her any way you want and it works.  She can be your impromptu seeker, slayer, whatever.   Twin .45s and switchblade** keep her well defended no matter what route you go.   You can pair her with anybody you want because you can always build Jenny to cover the other character's bases no matter who they are.    That, and Double-or-Nothing is a very handy teamwork card.  

So, I guess the logical conclusion is Rex+Jenny?  I've played it,  it's good.  Is it better than anything else you could have?  Probably not,  not significantly anyway.  but it's 2 solid characters together,  I guess that's about as good as it gets right now.

I gave a Rex/Zoey combo against The Gathering and it went okay (I think I had some really bad token draws). I'm going to make a few changes (add in some of the cards from Miskatonic Museum and the Essex County Express for one and make a few other changes). 

12 hours ago, Daft Blazer said:

I tried Rex and Jenny, couldn't get it to work, maybe my decks were rubbish! ;)

Jenny is 100% about deck building, and fitting to the scenario.  Her 5 non-rouge cards are crucial.  imo she makes the most use of Adaptable and Charisma.  She can pair with anyone, and fill any role, but she can be very weak if you fail to draw the appropriate cards.  If you want to use her agility, try adding pete sylvestre and cat burglar to the deck.  If you want her to be solid for combat add beat cops and baseball bats.  Remember you can double up her followers so you can fit both pete and cat burglar, or 2x beat cops to really help.  I wouldn't advise it, but you could even fit her for gaining clues with dr milan and magnifying glass.  

I think Jenny's biggest problem is just sharing the collection with others...  The 5 non-rouge cards she wants are likely to overlap with others in the game who are actually of those classes.

I didn't do well with Jenny at first, and had some false starts with her...  But after playing some on my own (running 2 characters together) I realized it was just competition over the collection - and knowledge of the card base to know which level 0 cards are the BEST to grab from other classes to fit the scenario / party.

Playing Jenny + Rex should be great though, because he wouldn't overlap cards with her much for combat.  She could use pete or beat cop freely because he would probably want dr milan in the ally slot.

Edited by shosuko

My combat Jenny build I made was 1 core (that's all I own, and I shared with Rex, so I dont think she has problems sharing IMO), so obviously that affected my deck, but I believe my 5 choice cards were  (I'm not saying these are the best 5 cards,  just what I picked at the time when I had success pairing her with Rex).

1x Physical Training:   Again, I was 1 core, so I couldn't take 2x Hard Knocks.  I find this absolutely essential, because it lets you funnel Jenny's resources into combat bonuses.   You really need to have either 2x Hard Knocks or import Physical Training.

1x .45 Automatic:  You could use the Machete.  I had the ultra-annoying Conglomeration of Spheres in mind when I built the deck.  Machete probably better though.

1x Rabbit's Foot:  Jenny lacks card draw, so I put this in there.  Truth be told I didn't fail enough checks to make it worth it.  If I did it again I might replace it with Lucky! or Look what I Found

1x Bandolier:  I wanted an extra hand slot, but probably not as helpful as if I had put in Beat Cop here.  Still, it's not bad

1x Dynamite:  This was out of left field, but I have to say, I like it.  The biggest problem with Dynamite has always been its cost, which is easier for Jenny to pay than others.  This card was very helpful in multiple games, and I really recommend it.  

-----

Once you get some experience,  I definitely recommend adding Hot Streak**** (yes, more money), and Switchblade**, maybe even Switchblade** x2.  I did still pick up Charisma***, and some Hired Muscle*, thinking it would be a decent substitute for Beat Cop.  It is, but maybe it's easier just to play Beat Cop.

If you think about it, typically there are two main purposes of players. 1. Kill monsters 2. Investigate.  So with this in mind, this typically is the combo you want to go for. Your best monster killers in the game are Zoey (Physical), and Agnes (Spell). Your best support/Investigation characters are Daisy and Rex. I like Wendy in certain situations as well. I find when I run Zoey or Agnes with Daisy, I own the board in most situations. Daisy and her encyclopedia is incredible as a support card and she has a 5 for Investigating. Zoey and Agnes bring the heat and keep the herd thinned down. The new Shriveling Spell with Agnes and a Holy Rosary and she is brutal. Get a Book of Shadows down even better. Agnes really is a monster killer. 

This is what I run and find it hugely successful. :)

I generally think of Guardians as dedicated killers (although Roland brings decent investigation) and Seekers as dedicated investigators.  Survivors, Rogues, and Mystics I consider generalists.

For a pair, I'll do one of two things - either a Guardian/Seeker pair, or any two from the other three.  Mystics get a little wobbly in smaller games, IMHO, because they're pretty reliant on their spells to really step up and cover the hard parts of a role.

Yes, Guardian/Seeker would be the standard class combo as many here state. However, I've been playing Rogue instead of Guardian for some time now.

Skids can use plenty of the better Guardian cards, making short work of foes with his arsenal of Rogue/Guardian cards. That, and he can evade like a boss. Evasion should not be underestimated. And Jenny is just a beast. Add the .45 to her deck and go in guns blazing. She can also reliably pay for dynamite, which works great with cat burglar.

So I'd say try Rogue/Seeker if you want something different.

On 4/2/2017 at 10:34 AM, Noccus said:

And Jenny is just a beast. Add the .45 to her deck and go in guns blazing.

Personally, I prefer the .42 - it leaves more room for other non-rogue cards in her deck, and it still works very nicely. The new Switchblade is pretty interesting too. Basically, a fast, unlimited-uses .42.