Sign in to follow this  
DanteStorm

TLT and Baze

While thinking of uses for Baze Malbus I came up with a question, which is, if I perform a tlt attack with a ship with Baze and the first tlt attack hits and destroys the opponent, can I perform the second attack of tlt, even if the first one destroys the enemy? And does can Baze trigger only my missing one of the tlt attacks? If so, then you can try and purposely miss the second one and activate Baze to attack another ship. If so it might be a cool interaction, but extremely situational in any case.

If you look at the Attack Timing Chart I think you'll find that both attacks need to miss in order to trigger Baze. 

You can complete the second TLT on a destroyed ship. The destroyed ship isn't removed until the entire attack sequence is completed because there are things that trigger on "after defending" even if the defending ship is destroyed.

It's a good idea to print the Timing Chart out and sleeve it. It answers a lot questions regarding "perform this attack twice" weapons, and the timing of such things as "after attacking" and "after defending".

Finally, welcome to the forums!

@Stoneface is correct that Baze only triggers if both TLT shots miss.

As for whether you can perform the second TLT attack if the first one destroys the ship, you can. In fact, it's required. It's also irrelevant, though, because you can't switch targets and your first target is already on its way out. But PTAT weapons go back to Step 2 from Step 7 (or 6, if you didn't deal any damage), which means they don't get to Step 10 (which is when destroyed ships are removed from the table) until after both attacks have happened.

Most of the time we wouldn't actually roll dice for the second TLT attack on an already-destroyed ship, but the second attack is still happening according to the rules. There might be occasions where you'd want to go through the physical process anyway.

4 hours ago, digitalbusker said:

@Stoneface is correct that Baze only triggers if both TLT shots miss.

As for whether you can perform the second TLT attack if the first one destroys the ship, you can. In fact, it's required. It's also irrelevant, though, because you can't switch targets and your first target is already on its way out. But PTAT weapons go back to Step 2 from Step 7 (or 6, if you didn't deal any damage), which means they don't get to Step 10 (which is when destroyed ships are removed from the table) until after both attacks have happened.

Most of the time we wouldn't actually roll dice for the second TLT attack on an already-destroyed ship, but the second attack is still happening according to the rules. There might be occasions where you'd want to go through the physical process anyway.

There are corner cases where it could be relevant, albeit rarely.  For instance simultaneous fire where the target hasn't fired yet and has a Major Hull Breach so the second shot could give you a crit on them that affects their shot.