HammerGibbens

Mistakes you made when you were learning

The more egregious the better.

Straight up when we started, my friends and I thought you moved every ship, THEN did actions with every ship in the same order as you moved them. Then we did combat correctly. We played this way for probably our first dozen games before I finally watched a youtube video of people playing the right way and we started to play right.

When moving ships we would move the entire base along the path of the template. If any part of the base along the path overlapped an obstacle, we suffered its effects.

We thought having a stress at all in any point during a round meant you could take an action that round, even if you cleared it with a green maneuver that round.

I had thought for the longest time that when you Barrel Rolled, that it had to be corner to corner to corner with the template. Didn't realize that only when you placed the template did it have to be touching a corner.

And, we always forgot about mutually assured destruction too.

55 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

I thought spending a focus or evade only changed one die.

I get the Focus error but the Evade error???  Evade never changed dice but only ever gave you one result.

Thinking Evade Tokens could be used to cancel a crit from Ten or a hit from an Autoblaster.

Looking at maneuver templates any time except from when performing a maneuver.

2 minutes ago, NH Gunsmith said:

I had thought for the longest time that when you Barrel Rolled, that it had to be corner to corner to corner with the template. Didn't realize that only when you placed the template did it have to be touching a corner.

And, we always forgot about mutually assured destruction too.

BR doesn't need to touch any corners unless I'm missing something.  It can go anywhere on the side and touch any part of the side on the other end.

MAD = Simultaneous Fire??  When it comes to tournaments it seems that mutually assured destruction can no longer happen.

21 minutes ago, AdamGATX105 said:

I always some how flew Kath off the board. Constantly miss judge how much a large ship moves. Heck sometimes I still do

Also thought ID tokens where used to kept track of activation order

THIS. I flew Firesprays off the map like clockwork in the beginning. To this day, I think I still fly overly-conservative with them, not taking certain maneuvers that are totally safe but my brain tricks me into thinking it's too close.

48 minutes ago, StevenO said:

BR doesn't need to touch any corners unless I'm missing something.  It can go anywhere on the side and touch any part of the side on the other end.

MAD = Simultaneous Fire??  When it comes to tournaments it seems that mutually assured destruction can no longer happen.

Apparently it's something I am still doing wrong. Just checked the rulebook, you are correct on the Barrel Roll haha.

I thought Focus tokens only let you reroll Focus results (why I thought this, with TL being a thing, I have no idea).

I thought you could take the same action twice, if you wanted to (like with Darth Vader).

I thought BR was middle-middle, in other words, no forward or backwards movement, only lateral.

Cancelling crits before hits ... or 'I'll take the crit on shields and the hits on hull'

moving a ship then barrel rolling him to slip arc before revealing next ship manoeuvre and realising you just barrel rolled into the spot that the second ship would go. 

I started the game directly partecipating in a store championship, thanks to the shop owner borrowing me 3 interceptors to fly.

Somehow I was doing good (I was just setting up in a corner, starting with 2 straight with all of them and then switching to 5 + boost. It seemed to took everyone off-guard) and got paired with a very good player.

My opening worked again, and I was in a great position to indefinitly chase a Dash inside his donut hole. The issue was that at that poin, my interceptors were flying toward me. I dialed the wrong turns, so instead of chasing Dash I went to the other side. Game was soon over.

Somehow I still managed to reach top. In the semifinal I was facing a nasty list which also involved a Decimator with Vader crew. I had no idea that moving through rocks won't allow you to do actions: I ended up at r1 of that Decimator while being actionless. Game over.

Doing red maneuvers even with stress and just getting another stress token, AND thought I could do the same action twice in a turn... running Jake for the first time I focused, did a free BR and then PTL attempting to do another BR. That's when I got caught out. 

7 hours ago, SirCormac said:

I thought you could take the same action twice, if you wanted to (like with Darth Vader).

I don't believe Vader can do the same action twice: "During your "Perform Action" step, you may perform 2 actions."