Tirion

Rebels Season 3 finale spoilers

1 hour ago, Tirion said:

bendu stuff was weird and that character is lost on me. Wishing it wasn't Sabin that came back glad they didn't kill thrawn.

Bendu seemed rather indifferent, I mean, that A-Wing didn't do anything to offend him....

Interesting how even Kanan was genuinely afraid of the Death Troopers.

Went the way it should, with a small fleet escaping.  I think they nailed the fragility of Neb-B's.  The Bendu will be lost on me, but whatever.  More importantly, was that the Dornian gunship in the fleet?

13 minutes ago, mcworrell said:

Went the way it should, with a small fleet escaping.  I think they nailed the fragility of Neb-B's.  The Bendu will be lost on me, but whatever.  More importantly, was that the Dornian gunship in the fleet?

Frequently, throughout the entire episode.  And it escaped.  A good sign for wave 7

There were two Dornian Gunships. One goes down earlier on.

I enjoyed it. Bendu was kind of good but honestly not a strong part of the show, though had a couple good episodes. This was not one of them. The middle way of the Force is easily antagonized into having lightning fit? Weakest part of the two parter for me.

Glad the Rebellion took some significant losses. It made the episode hit a lot harder and give the show some gravitas.

So the losses seemed to be approximately... Btw, before reading further the spoilers are only going to get more spoilery!

Empire: 2 Interdictors and some TIEs and some ground forces (who cares about those, this is Armada) and Konstantine.

Rebels: 3 Nebulon Bs, Quasar Fire, At least 3 CR90s, 1 Hammerhead, 1 Dornian Gunship and all GR75s, all but 3 Y-Wings, looks like only 2 A-Wings made it out, loss of a base and no more Sato.

Sounds like a 10-0 win for the Empire

So, when do the Rebels pick up "Fulcrum" as an officer card in Armada? Maybe when we get that Dornian Gunship flotilla?

Good pair of episodes I thought. Thrawn winning, loss of some major side characters, though at this point I wonder if it wouldn't have been a good idea to kill of Kanaan. He seems to have served his purpose. We get an explanation as to why the carrier wasn't in Rogue One.  Another very powerful force user off the playing field. Lots of set up and movement towards Rogue One. Wonder next season if we do get to see some Admiral Raddus in fleet action and Saul Gerrera getting excommunicated from the alliance.

Edited by Spectre8174

Good summary of possibilities for next season @Spectre8174. I thought there were a few more side characters that could have/should have gone. Kanaan is certainly one, Rex and Kallus were both ones who could have exited the show permanently.

Well they are headed to Yavin...so that can only mean we're getting closer and closer to Rogue One. I'm pretty sure we're going to see the Mon Calamari next season for sure as the big reveal. 

Not gonna lie...Rebels with Mandalorian squadrons would be nice. 

I was expecting to see that MC80 pop up and provide some cover fire whilst the Rebels escaped, but I think the Mandalorian commando route was fitting, and I agree Sato had to go in order to start molding Rebels into the timeline, I have no doubt we're going to see General Syndulla as a fleet admiral soon. Dodanna is going to get ALOT more screen time in the future, and I have little doubt Admiral Raddus is going to pop up.

My predictions:

Kallus joins the crew to fill the spot Sabine left, he becomes something like Command Kallus. The Ghost crew are integral into bringing the Mon Calamari into the fold (maybe we get to see the system where they begin converting city ships into capital ships. Thrawn ultimately loses big in season 4 and gets exiled to the Unknown Regions (or flat out dies). 

Ultimate prediction, Rebels continues after Rogue One...the galaxy is a big big place, and the show is proving to be a real popular source...it's keeping starwars fresh in between the movies (which I think is a big deal.)

Edited by Gottmituns205

I agree with others that this should have been kanans last episode. I hope Sabin is still gone for a while. I like her character but it diminishes her leaving if she is back already. While there are some good stories to be told still with kallus they should have dropped someone else to make room for him. Visually the show is looking great and has come a very long ways. I enjoyed the bendu until this episode angry mufasa lighting cloud was really dumb I thought. 

I really enjoyed this season's finale. Thrawn was satisfying and I felt the payoff was good enough after seeing him play the long game for the whole season. This finale was big on action, especially the space battle, and it delivered but in terms of raw emotion and character development the previous 2 season finales felt better. I feel they could've addressed it by killing off Kanan but I guess they're not ready to off him just yet. Kallus surviving and defecting I did not foresee but I'm okay with it.

Some observations of the battle which I thought was great overall:-

1) Finally seeing Thrawn show off his tactical prowess was great. Thrawn's phalanx deployment made a lot of sense as it made full use of the strengths of the ISDs and kept them facing forward towards the Rebel fleet where they can present the most threat, while the Interdictors and Arquitens filled the gaps and covered the flanks.

2) Sato's sacrifice and Konstantine's death was great. Maybe it's just a coincidence but I thought it was rather appropriate that Konstantine commanded an Interdictor given what he does in Armada.

3) The Bendu's reaction and subsequent involvement in the battle worked for me. He's like a force of nature that take's no sides but will rouse to anger if you threaten his home and his being. The way he uses and becomes a force storm was interesting(not sure about the glowing eyes though). It caught Thrawn off guard but I'm glad he was able to recover quickly and take down the Bendu. The foretelling of the manner of Thrawn's demise was pretty cool, although I've also read that the Bendu might be referring to the Empire as a whole. Could be a dual meaning thing but I'm inclined to believe that it was directed at Thrawn himself.

4) The destruction of the second Interdictor felt too easy. I don't buy that a handful of Mandolorian commandos can take the whole ship out with small arms fire. They could've just have easily left the ship intact as a whole but destroy the gravity well only. That should be enough to create an opening for the Rebel feet to flee.

A very powerful season finale especially given it's target audience.  I called Kallus defecting to the Rebels last season, glad it finally happened.  I absolutely love Thrawn's character in this episode, displaying his tactical genius.  Though I do not care for him getting his hands dirty!

I'll second what has been said by several others. 

-They move operations to Yavin 4

-Dodonna is more prevalent

-Raddus makes an appearance or two or more

-the crew goes to Dac to convince the Mon Calamari to back the Rebellion

My own thought is this:

Ezra has his own ship now The Gauntlet, I think that we'll see more independent missions, maybe Ezra/Kallus, Zeb/Kallus

6 hours ago, Wraithdt said:

buy that a handful of Mandolorian commandos can take the whole ship out with small arms fire. They could've just have easily left the ship intact as a whole but destroy the gravity well only. That should be enough to create an opening for the Rebel feet to flee.

well we know the ship is still experimental, we also know they have to remain mostly immobile to use their grav generators since it requires alot of power, a group of commandos packing rockets under the shield would likely cause all that power to go back into the reactor and overload it, so id believe it 

Main thought of the moment: Thrawn has to be played carefully, as a credible antagonist. To do otherwise means he'll end up like Kallus: comically ineffective at stopping the Rebellion and realizing they were right in the end. Thrawn couldn't win entirely because that would end the path of the protagonists, but making him lose dramatically would undercut his coolness factor. So I considered his plan, and where it went wrong. Two key areas:

First, gloryhound Konstantine decided to take his Interdictor out of position and get it destroyed. There goes redundancy for hyperspace interdiction, and a semi-capable commander able to autonomously deal with Rebel stragglers that get past the destroyers. Konstantine (rightly) resented this role, but it's one Thrawn needed him to do so Thrawn could see and command the bigger picture. It got Konstantine killed...maybe, since Titus came back from a similar near-death situation. Thrawn hoped his blunder wouldn't be the end of what should have been a perfect plan, but it suggests even Thrawn knew this loss risked his success of the mission.

Second, the power of the Bendu was unknown to Thrawn and completely outside of his planning. In essence, Bendu represents the weather on the battlefield turning sour. Like a sudden tornado, Bendu's unpredictable appearance struck rebel and Imperial alike and totally surprised Thrawn, disrupting the battlefield and taking out some of the Imperial heavy armor simply because they were bigger and more spread out over the battlefield. Thrawn lost his heavy armor and air support because of that storm, so he couldn't completely shoot down the fleeing rebels. Thrawn dealt with it only in the way he could by shooting the Bendu down, but by then it was far too late. I doubt he'll be sidestepped by such trickery again... Thrawn is an enemy who learns from his mistakes.

In the end the Empire ended up gutting the majority of the Rebel fleet that arrived at the system, but did not capture their leadership. The Empire will have to be content with destroying a Rebel outpost and the majority of the Rebel's capital ships. Only general Tagge, of the other joint chiefs, will probably join with Thrawn in considering the free rebel leadership as a problem. Let's see what the Emperor makes of Thrawn's performance in the field, and whether he'll bedevil the Rebels for the forseeable future. Hopefully "Defeat" is not "Death," since I'd very much like him to live longer than his Legends counterpart. The showdown is still going to be on Lothal, whether or not Scarif comes sooner or later.

49 minutes ago, TerrorScream said:

well we know the ship is still experimental, we also know they have to remain mostly immobile to use their grav generators since it requires alot of power, a group of commandos packing rockets under the shield would likely cause all that power to go back into the reactor and overload it, so id believe it 

I think it was more to cause Imperial losses, the creators probably felt bad that Thrawn ROFLstomped the rebel scum so hard...

Edited by Gadgetron

16 hours ago, Swusn said:

I was hoping X-wings would show up to save the day but that was done by the Mandalorians.

Over all great episode and exactly what I want to see from Star Wars for this period in the GCW.

The new Rebels Recon episode has indicated that we "might" see X-wings in season 4. Dave Filoni has also indicated he wants to be very careful about how he introduces them - he wants this epic arrival moment.

My guess is that X-wings will be a climactic moment in a season, rather than an episode introduction like the B-wing. I think they will scream in to save the day, providing a thrilling point in the story. I'm excited for it, but I don't feel like it needs to happen too quickly - the X-wing is meant to be what really tips the scales of the fighter battle back towards the Rebels, and so it needs to have that feeling of turning disaster into success.

13 minutes ago, Irokenics said:

I find it strange that Thrawn is all hyped up to be this brilliant tactician and Hera throughout the episode correctly predicts his next moves.

Perhaps she is the real brilliant strategist!

I think Hera is definitely the brilliant strategist: I'd like to see her become a general at some point, and maybe even turn up on the Armada board as a commander. They've set a precedent with Leia and Vader.

I think the point with this episode is that Thrawn came up against his ultimate weakness (at least within the TV show), which is the unpredictable. Throughout the forty minutes, Thrawn had total command of the situation, got a victory by the Empire's standards, and came within inches of crushing the Lothal rebels once and for all. He even continually tried to account for the Rebels' unorthodoxy; ordering the Interdictors stay to the rear, probing the Rebels' shields, testing their ground defences. What he could control, Thrawn dominated.

What robbed him of the total victory (which, in Thrawn's eyes, no doubt made his mission a failure), was what he couldn't control. It was the fact that he couldn't plan for the Bendu. Right at the point when he had the Rebel officers at gunpoint, his plan was undone by the arrival of the storm. Bendu was nothing other than an element of chaos, shown when his thunder struck down A-wings and AT-AT alike, but Thrawn's reliance on logic and order is one that cannot accomodate such chaos. I think that's why the Bendu was so important to this series, and why that final face to face between him and Thrawn was so powerful; if Bendu is the pure embodiment of the Force, then it is always that element that Thrawn cannot predict, cannot account for, and that costs him in despite of his superiority in every other regard.

TL;DR: If Thrawn had been playing chess, he'd have won hands down. But Thrawn's an Armada player, and in Armada the unpredictability of the dice can always undo the best conceived plans. The Bendu's the dice.

16 hours ago, Grujav said:

So, when do the Rebels pick up "Fulcrum" as an officer card in Armada? Maybe when we get that Dornian Gunship flotilla?

I'd love to see Fulcrum show up; I think it'll be during or after next season, when we see how Kallus will fit into the Rebels. He's a fantastic and complex character in the series, he deserves a second card, and by using his code name they could get around the possibility of both sides having him on the board. I'd even love the picture on his card to be his call sign.

As for what he'd do, some kind of intelligence based upgrade? The Rebel Isard (aka let you look at command dials), but one you might actually take?

And I think the Dornian gunship is an inevitability, having been in both Rebels and Rogue one, and will come in as the Rebel equivalent of the Raider. It's quite a bit shorter, but fills the same role in the Rebel fleet. Could see it as an anti-squad flotilla, but my hunch is that, if Hammerheads have made it in as a small-base ship, the Braha'tok will as well.

25 minutes ago, ceejlekabeejle said:

The new Rebels Recon episode has indicated that we "might" see X-wings in season 4. Dave Filoni has also indicated he wants to be very careful about how he introduces them - he wants this epic arrival moment.

My guess is that X-wings will be a climactic moment in a season, rather than an episode introduction like the B-wing. I think they will scream in to save the day, providing a thrilling point in the story. I'm excited for it, but I don't feel like it needs to happen too quickly - the X-wing is meant to be what really tips the scales of the fighter battle back towards the Rebels, and so it needs to have that feeling of turning disaster into success.

I'm betting the X-wings are going to be the fighter-bombers that enable the destruction of the Defender factory.