aRandomBoardGamingDude

Recomended Points for limited expansion use?

I bought the core game, played it, loved it, then I went back to my FLGS and bought all the expansions they had.  Problem was, they didn't have very many.  I bought the TIE phantom, two M3-A starfighters, and a G-1 Starfighter.

With these limited expansions, I feel like a good point allotment to set it at is 40 points, but I am not sure though, I feel like if I field two M3-A fighters with 4 dice canons it would just be too strong, and there wouldn't be anything that could take it for 40 points.  I don't know if a tricked out POE or a tricked our Phantom could take them...

27 minutes ago, aRandomBoardGamingDude said:

cross-faction mixing does not interest me.

Too bad, so it looks like the only serious answer is to just play with the core for while and forget about the other stuff entirely.

No one is suggesting cross-faction mixing. The OP was trying to figure out what to do with his limited resources.

34 minutes ago, aRandomBoardGamingDude said:

the core was really fun and balanced so if expansions are something that easily unbalance this game I'm totally fine with just limiting my involvement to the core.  

The expansions are what make the game even more interesting and fun. Each expansion adds to the overall game. They generally won't unbalance the game on their own. What you need to do is collect expansions that will increase your forces. Buying two M3-A interceptors isn't going to help an Imperial or Rebel force at all, but the upgrade cards that come (the cannons and Stealth Device) can be used by ships other than the M3-As. 

Each expansion will add to your available options and make the game more challenging. You only have 3 Imperial ships and 3 Scum ships, so you should probably look ad purchasing some more of either of those factions. TIE Fighters are always handy and the Most Wanted pack will add three more ships to your Scum collection, not to mention a swag of upgrades.

Most upgrades are usable by any faction unless stated otherwise. So mix things up a bit and see what you can create.

17 hours ago, digitalbusker said:

Super-Poe against two HLC Heavy Scyks could be an interesting fight, but it'd be extremely skill-dependent.

Until you can get some more stuff (particularly a copy of Most Wanted), you may want to experiment with faction mixing.

9 hours ago, Parravon said:

No one is suggesting cross-faction mixing. The OP was trying to figure out what to do with his limited resources.

I was, as a way to make use of his Scum purchases.

With what you have I really think you should be more open about faction mixing. 

Take the T-70 and the M3-As VS 2 Tie FO and Tie Phantom. Should be a decent and fun match.

Why are you against faction mixing anyways? Scum mixing with Rebels feels more thematic then Rebels and Imp mixing. Plus this did happen in the movies Luke and Obi would never have gotten off of that desert planet if the didn't mix with a scum smuggler named Solo.

Edited by AdamGATX105

I'm just not very open to faction mixing because I know that the game wasn't play tested that way. 

I bought a second x-wing off the interwebs, this time a classic one.  At 60 points, the factions are all pretty balanced.  three scum ships vs. three imp ships or three imp ships vs. two tricked out x-wings or two tricked out x wings against three scum ships.

Now when I buy stuff for x-wing, I just have to make sure I buy in sets of three-ish (one ship for each faction) so that the armies keep pace with each other.