Sign in to follow this  
AdamGATX105

How different from X-Wing?

Title sums  up. Looking at getting into Armada but already have a ton of X-Wing stuff.

What's the average price point I'm looking st spending for a rebel fleet?

How long is a match?

How new player friendly is it?

Any great learn to play videos?

Really very different from x-wing. While obviously coming from the same general school of game design, the two games don't really have much in common mechanically. Armada is a much bigger picture game than x-wing. It plays longer, you need to plan and think ahead more, list building is more involved. It's a really good game, but is definitely more involved. "Axis and allies" to x-wings "Risk". 

As for price point, hard to say. Initial buy in is probably higher for Armada, but long term the two games will likely be comparable because you don't really need several copies of a lot of armada ships, also, there aren't as many expansions for armada, do easier to collect, but as time goes on that difference will not matter much. 

12 hours ago, AdamGATX105 said:

Title sums  up. Looking at getting into Armada but already have a ton of X-Wing stuff.

What's the average price point I'm looking st spending for a rebel fleet?

1 of every expansion for Rebels bumped to 2 of the first fighters pack and 2 rebel transports is aprox. $370 online retail. But you don't need all of that. A core set, Home One, Mc30, Rebel Fighters, 2 Rebel Transports is aprox. $200. Your best bet is to plan on getting the core and two of the first fighter squadron pack and then look for a fleet you like and getting those additional ships. It really depends on what you'd like to fly.

There are upgrades in the not your faction expansions like X-wing but also playing X-wing I don't think Armada is as bad. There certainly isn't a Starviper/Autothrusters thing. 

How long is a match?

Aprox. 2 hours depending on speed of play, fleet or what have you. 

How new player friendly is it?

It depends on the new player. If you've played X-wing you'll be familiar with the idea of upgrades making combos and being sure to do things in the right order but there aren't "You need a flow chart" interactions like in X-wing. The order of play is straightforward. Like all these sorts of games there are a lot of rules but the concepts are again straightforward. Unlike X-wing players alternate activating a ship and the ships then shoot and then move so that requires and adjustment in planning and thinking. 

Any great learn to play videos?

I'm sure there are but I can't really point you at them. 

My responses in Bold. 

42 minutes ago, Alzer said:

The other big thing armada has is the Commander. Having a buff that applies to all of your ships and helps guide the theme of your fleet is great.

Probably only a matter of time before x-wing gets squadron upgrades that will perform a similar function. 

On 3/24/2017 at 6:13 PM, Forgottenlore said:

Probably only a matter of time before x-wing gets squadron upgrades that will perform a similar function. 

Yes but until those exist it is a major difference.

Armada is definitely worth getting into, the models are top notch, fleet strategy and combat is amazing.

X-Wing is like a knife fight on a dance floor where Armada feels more like 1000 guns at 1000 paces while sipping tea.

The community here is cool too.

That said... be prepared.... It's not all about the ships.

Be prepared to spend a 1/3rd of your efforts and time on squadrons....

sRA3uNH.png

Objectives are what makes Armada a superior game (I've played X-Wing since wave one!). My first few games of Armada were played without them and I was a little 'on the fence' as to whether to buy in or not. I then played a game using objectives (I'd just booked a spot in a local store championship) and I absolutely fell in love with the game. If I could I would play Armada solely and never pick up my X-Wing ships again... Well maybe apart from my TIE swarm! ;):D