Alryon

Ideas form making Long Arm of the Hutt canon-friendly

So, I run Escape from Mon Shuuta and I want to follow it up with Long Arm of the Hutt. I've read the adventure and I really like it. However, all of it's Geonosis stuff is contradictory with the current canon. I'd like to hear some ideas to adapt the LAotH to be canon-friendly. What species/planet could replace the Geonosians? Any other interesting ways to make it canon-friendly except replacing Geonosis/Geonosians in the adventure? I'd love to read your thoughts.

Cheers,

4 hours ago, Alisair Longreach said:

Instead of Geonosis you could visit the Roche Asteroid Field where the Verpines live. Both are described in Strongholds of Resistance.

Interesting. I'll have a look about it. Thanks a lot!

Edited by Alryon

4 hours ago, Desslok said:

Give not two craps about continuity?

It certainly is an option. But I actually want to consider other options, the ones that give at least some amout of craps about continuity.

10 hours ago, Alryon said:

It certainly is an option. But I actually want to consider other options, the ones that give at least some amout of craps about continuity.

My point is that by simply picking up dice you've already changed continuity. Go with whatever you want to do, not what the Story Group dictates.

Geonosis has 15 moons, most of which are uninhabitable. However, I don't think it would break canon too badly to say that there is a surviving queen that has taken up a lair on one of the moons and has a small, growing colony with a few hives. The Imperials have learned about it, but Harkin has decided that the Empire gains nothing out of eliminating it. That fits with the location, given that you want to be so close to Tatooine and Ryloth for the story. 

In my campaign I had the two dukes as being absent when the sterilization took place (working off world)... A few years after the sterilization they returned to Geonosis and took over some of the old manufacturing camps. These are the dukes the PCs interact with... I actually turned it into further adventures, as the Empire found out that they were there and sent an "Extermination Team" (pun intended) to Geonosis to take them out once and for all. The PCs ended up protecting them, and transporting them off world - and fighting elite Stormtroopers as they did so.

On 24/03/2017 at 10:44 AM, Desslok said:

My point is that by simply picking up dice you've already changed continuity. Go with whatever you want to do, not what the Story Group dictates.

I agree that by picking up dice I run the possibility of changing continuity, but I may choose not to. The fact is that I like the story arc about sterilizing Geonosis, I think it makes sense and I'd like to keep it. The same way I can change that in my game, I can also change the use of Geonosians In LAotH... I just need to figure out how much work it is and if I consider it worth the trouble. That's why asked for options, to share ideas. What I'll actually end up doing is a mystery, even to myself, :P

On 24/03/2017 at 11:25 AM, coyote6 said:

I'm not aware of any canonical statements that Geonosis had no colonies or other settlements, so you could just make up a planet and say it was settled by Geonosians, and put Long Arm of the Hutt there.  Or set your game before the Empire scours Geonosis.

Those are two of my main options so far, the colony one being the easiest, since I have already stated in my game that its after BY.

On 24/03/2017 at 11:55 AM, aclarkbr90 said:

Geonosis has 15 moons, most of which are uninhabitable. However, I don't think it would break canon too badly to say that there is a surviving queen that has taken up a lair on one of the moons and has a small, growing colony with a few hives. The Imperials have learned about it, but Harkin has decided that the Empire gains nothing out of eliminating it. That fits with the location, given that you want to be so close to Tatooine and Ryloth for the story. 

Hummm, I had forgotten about Geonosis moons... I like your idea very much.

On 24/03/2017 at 2:15 PM, Desslok said:

Plus there was that Rebels episode were a crazy Buggy had the queen's egg and went off to repopulate the species.

Yes, but in the Darth Vader comics, which are also canon, we learn that the queen born from it is sterile and cannot produce offspring. Anyway, it is a good option too, accepting Rebels, but ignoring the comics. In fact, I just had a couple of ideas about integrating that into the adventure itself... hummm

On 24/03/2017 at 5:22 PM, lecudas said:

In my campaign I had the two dukes as being absent when the sterilization took place (working off world)... A few years after the sterilization they returned to Geonosis and took over some of the old manufacturing camps. These are the dukes the PCs interact with... I actually turned it into further adventures, as the Empire found out that they were there and sent an "Extermination Team" (pun intended) to Geonosis to take them out once and for all. The PCs ended up protecting them, and transporting them off world - and fighting elite Stormtroopers as they did so.

I like that! Oh, I like that! Specially because I'm also looking for side quests to extend the adventure. I have been seriously considering not sending the PCs to Geonosis (or whatever) just after New Meen, as I want to develop Oskara's sister arc a bit more first.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, A7T said:

Pablo Hidalgo confirmed that the two were canonically the same on Rebels Recon, but it's the GM call whether or not that's canon to their game.

Actually, he hadn't.  They purposefully left that open for further exploration at a later date.

That's the Episode review.  Unfortunately, the next two episodes don't have their Recon review up.  #3.12 had the fan question about the egg and whether it was connected to the Vader queen.

1 hour ago, Sarone said:

Actually, he hadn't.  They purposefully left that open for further exploration at a later date.

That's the Episode review.  Unfortunately, the next two episodes don't have their Recon review up.  #3.12 had the fan question about the egg and whether it was connected to the Vader queen.

Looks like there's a problem with the Recon numbering. Recon covered both parts of "Ghosts of Geonosis" in on episode (just like the season premiere). But "Ghosts" was episodes 3.12/3.13 of Rebels, so it looks like the Recon episode numbers reflect which episode of Recon it is...

...until we get to "Warhead," which was episode 3.14 of Rebels and of Recon.

In the segment with Pablo, he states that the idea is that the egg seen in "Ghosts" does indeed have the queen seen in the Vader comic, but he "doesn't want to connect too many dots, because that may be a story for another time," then reconfirms that they currently hold that the Queen in Vader hatched from the egg in "Ghosts."

On 23/03/2017 at 7:35 PM, Alisair Longreach said:

Instead of Geonosis you could visit the Roche Asteroid Field where the Verpines live. Both are described in Strongholds of Resistance.

I had the same idea independently, but instead of using the Roche Asteroid Field I'm using an asteroid belt called the Obana Belt that lies just between Tatooine and Ryloth.  Just reeskined the two geonosian leaders as two Verpine business partners that are in the middle of a crisis because of their divergent ideas about a certain crime boss financial aid and how much they want to be involved with an open rebellion against the empire. (They escaped the blockade of Roche Asteroid Field in the first place and are currently hiding) - I decided to make it all a big scene at the party. Show that they are divided. Show that the Teemo buisiness is the reason and give players a chance to reunite them or play both sides as they see fit. Also makes the interactions with the various NPCS at the party more meaningful as they also can choose sides. 

Another decision was to keep the Ryll business integral to the LAotH campaing instead of inserting the "remaking B1 droids hook". Sivor was a bioengeneering genius and not some random droid repairman. He was using the Ryll to come up with new stronger military grade stimpacks. Because of the Hive mind thing the Verpine have the thug's plan did not work as Sivor just went "drone mode" in order to protect his species secrets. (that will be the holo conversation they can find inside Drombbs apartments in new meen.) After that Sivor was taken to tatooine by Trex. This way integrates all 3 acts of LAotH and Escape from Mos Shuuta nicely and we keep it all about smuggling spice. Hutts don't need droid armies.

Another change that I made is a  simple hidden hook: I said the Astromech parts inside the Krayt Fang are actually a J9 worker drone ( A verpine design - It belonged to Sivor ) - The same one that would be later introduced as the translator at the "geonosian duke" party. If the players do not fix the droid I can just make the Bothan or the twi leks do it off screen and give them the hook. - Deliver this droid back to the Verpine brothers inside Obana Belt. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Obana_Belt

Edited by Blackharp
misspelled word