Jump to content
Epixca

Is This Viable?

Recommended Posts

After my recent defeat in the game of X-Wing, I completely scrapped my squads. I want to run a 3 small ship scum build. Here is what I came up with!

 

-Fenn Rau (28)

Expertise (4)

Autothrusters (2)

Concord Dawn Protector (1)

 

-Guri (30)

-Lone Wolf (2)

Autothrusters (2)

-Virago (1)

Sensor Jammer (4)

 

-Palob Godalhi (20)

Trick Shot (0)

Autoblaster Turret (2)

Cloaking Device (2)

Stygium Particle Accelerator (2)

 

-100 Points-

 

Is it viable in a tournament? Is there something better? I still want to use 3 small ships, if so.

 

Also, 2 notes.

 

1. I don't want to use Mindlink. I like the option to stress Guri or Fenn at any time, if needs be.

 

2. My friend was using TLT and it was doing insane damage, how do I avoid this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stay On The Leader said:

You're still missing 3 copies of Mindlink.  It doesn't stop you stressing your ships, it just stops you stressing more than one ship at once.

Your biggest problem is that Palob's loadout is garbage.

What should I use on Palob then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TLT is a bit of a problem, your only bet right now is to make that your #1 target and wipe it out first. Here's a suggestion:

 

Palob Godalhi (20)
Trick Shot (0)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Dengar (3)
Cloaking Device (2)
Stygium Particle Accelerator (2)

Fenn Rau (28)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Concord Dawn Protector (1)

Guri (30)
A Score to Settle (0)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

 

Palob is going to be your "STUN" ship. His job is to steal as many tokens as possible before he dies, allowing Guri and Fenn to nail some damage. Take a cloak action if you feel you are going to get shot at by 2 or more ships. If you do not, shoot with TLT and you have Dengar for up to 2 free re-rolls on both TLT shots.

 

Guri can be built a little different, though autothrusters are almost necessary. Though Guri may go down a bit quickly, you might want to substitute her out for something else?

 

I run Fenn with push the limit. Push the limit can wiggle you out of bad positions or help with arc dodging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to work that out.  I want to rip the Sensor Jammer off Guri to scrape points for Palob to get better gear, but then I guess you're aiming for a Palob/Jammer combo - it works but you're burning like 30pts on a HWK that only ever serves to strip a focus away.  Expertise may have to come off Fenn.


Like I said, I would use Mindlink - you've got two ships here that give you focus without an action so it's great synergy with Attani.

Fenn - Attani, Concord, Autothrusters (32)

Palob - Attani, Ion Turret, Dengar, Cloaking Device (31)

Guri - Attani, FCS, Virago, Autothrusters (36)


If I was using your list and you really wanted to make Sensor Jammer a thing then I'd do something like this and add Old Teroch to strip more Focus...

Old Teroch - Fearlessness, Concord, Autothrusters (30)

Guri - Fearlessness, Sensor Jammer, Virago, Autothrusters (38)

Palob -  Trick Shot,  Ion Turret, Dengar, Cloaking Device, Stygium Particle Accelerator (32)

I'd consider Bodyguard instead of Stygium, lend a green dice to Teroch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Xavi17 said:

TLT is a bit of a problem, your only bet right now is to make that your #1 target and wipe it out first. Here's a suggestion:

 

Palob Godalhi (20)
Trick Shot (0)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Dengar (3)
Cloaking Device (2)
Stygium Particle Accelerator (2)

Fenn Rau (28)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Concord Dawn Protector (1)

Guri (30)
A Score to Settle (0)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

 

Palob is going to be your "STUN" ship. His job is to steal as many tokens as possible before he dies, allowing Guri and Fenn to nail some damage. Take a cloak action if you feel you are going to get shot at by 2 or more ships. If you do not, shoot with TLT and you have Dengar for up to 2 free re-rolls on both TLT shots.

 

Guri can be built a little different, though autothrusters are almost necessary. Though Guri may go down a bit quickly, you might want to substitute her out for something else?

 

I run Fenn with push the limit. Push the limit can wiggle you out of bad positions or help with arc dodging.

I might tinker with this one a bit. I really like the idea! What do you think about Expertise on Fenn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Epixca said:

I might tinker with this one a bit. I really like the idea! What do you think about Expertise on Fenn?

Expertise is good, however I feel its just too pricey. I'd rather get action economy for one less point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Xavi17 said:

Expertise is good, however I feel its just too pricey. I'd rather get action economy for one less point.

My thought is, he doesn't do much modifying. You try to get into range 1 of the enemy ship by boosting, then what do you have? Nothing. That's why I like Expertise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Epixca said:

My thought is, he doesn't do much modifying. You try to get into range 1 of the enemy ship by boosting, then what do you have? Nothing. That's why I like Expertise.

In my case I boost in, push the limit, and then focus/target lock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Xavi17 said:

In my case I boost in, push the limit, and then focus/target lock.

But to clear stress, you need to do a green, in his case, 2s. Not good for chasing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Epixca said:

But to clear stress, you need to do a green, in his case, 2s. Not good for chasing.

True, though you've got 2 other ships to deal damage with. not to mention that you want to take a flank approach in the first round of exchange. that way the greens can put you in a better position in the next turn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expertise is good, but as has been said it's pricey. Also if you get stressed it's useless. In a tournament scene stresshogs, Ventress etc will be everywhere. I was a late comer to the Mindlink party, it is not to be underestimated. I think the problem is your third ship, I think your HWK will be focused down early, which may be what you want, but if it is you need to make him cheap as you can. 

This is the only Guri build that is viable IMO, or with Mindlink

-Guri (30)

-Lone Wolf (2)

Autothrusters (2)

-Virago (1)

Sensor Jammer (4)

Mindlinked fenn is 32, Mindlinked Guri is 38. leaves you 30 points for your 3rd ship. Mindlinked Palob with TLT is 27, leaves you 3 points for crew, which Dengar fits in nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

Expertise is good, but as has been said it's pricey. Also if you get stressed it's useless. In a tournament scene stresshogs, Ventress etc will be everywhere. I was a late comer to the Mindlink party, it is not to be underestimated. I think the problem is your third ship, I think your HWK will be focused down early, which may be what you want, but if it is you need to make him cheap as you can. 

This is the only Guri build that is viable IMO, or with Mindlink

-Guri (30)

-Lone Wolf (2)

Autothrusters (2)

-Virago (1)

Sensor Jammer (4)

Mindlinked fenn is 32, Mindlinked Guri is 38. leaves you 30 points for your 3rd ship. Mindlinked Palob with TLT is 27, leaves you 3 points for crew, which Dengar fits in nicely.

So, I don't own 3 Mindlinks. After hearing that, what do you suggest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you could also utilize something like this, palob is essentially bait as you ASTS their biggest threat, and let them know TLT/ASTS/dengar will be their bane! during their mad dash to kill him with their other ships, flank with Guri and Fenn, AT on both of them should heavily mitigate a TLT threat if there is only 1, if there is 2 or more quickly dash in and pop a cherry, you could also drop the cloaking device from Guri in favor of an initiative bid for Fenn, which Fenn LOVES!

SCUM BAIT

100 points

 

PILOTS

Guri (37)
StarViper (30), Adaptability (0), Virago (1), Autothrusters (2), Fire-Control System (2), Cloaking Device (2)

Fenn Rau (34)
Protectorate Starfighter (28), Push the Limit (3), Concord Dawn Protector (1), Autothrusters (2)

Palob Godalhi (29)
HWK-290 (20), A Score to Settle (0), Twin Laser Turret (6), Dengar (3)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I ask why you are flying Guri over say, Old T? Basically the same ship, for way less cost. And you could either run PTL on Fenn and Old T or you could run Vet instincts on Old T making him a nine alongside Fenn.

Edited by Fozzyman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Fozzyman said:

Can I ask why you are flying Guri over say, Old T? Basically the same ship, for way less cost. And you could either run PTL on Fenn and Old T or you could run Vet instincts on Old T making him a nine alongside Fenn.

She is a lot more expensive but I don't think Guri and Teroch play much alike at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not saying they should be flown the same, I was saying they are incredibly similar in their dial, hull, shield (1 less for Old T) green dice, red dice, etc. That being said, I think the points saved on flying Teroch and his ability to strip tokens, is something to be note. I would take Teroch over Guri 9 times out of 10. The 1 time would be if you run Atanni Mindlink. Gettin a free focus for everyone if Guri is at range one of an enemy ship is pretty powerful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 (100)

Palob Godalhi (34) - HWK-290
Opportunist (4), Blaster Turret (4), Recon Specialist (3), Moldy Crow (3)

Fenn Rau (34) - Protectorate Starfighter
Push The Limit (3), Concord Dawn Protector (1), Autothrusters (2)

Guri (32) - StarViper
A Score To Settle (0), Autothrusters (2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...