Sign in to follow this  
AleksDj

Number of players with 1 of each

I was wondering what you think about this

1xCore + 1xDunwich + 6xmythos (1 of each) + 2 scenario packs (1 of each)

Will i be able to play with 4 players? I don't need the best possible decks, i just need to know if this will be enough to create 4 decks that can win the campaign. I'm not going to by 2 core sets, not gonna happen in million years.

Thanks

I believe you'd probably be able to do it with all 6 mythos packs as they come with 2 copies of each as well as 2 - 3 cards per faction. Your decks will be no where near efficient and may be all over the place which could make you traversing the campaign not very enjoyable but that's subjective. Unfortunately the 2 POD packs don't include player cards that I know of (Other than upgrades and stuff you get during the scenario but they don't count towards your deck size).

You would probably have to pick investigators that compliment each other very well and work closer as a team and cover each others weaknesses.

I'm sure its possible.

3 minutes ago, Guitarquero said:

I believe you'd probably be able to do it with all 6 mythos packs as they come with 2 copies of each as well as 2 - 3 cards per faction. Your decks will be no where near efficient and may be all over the place which could make you traversing the campaign not very enjoyable but that's subjective. Unfortunately the 2 POD packs don't include player cards that I know of (Other than upgrades and stuff you get during the scenario but they don't count towards your deck size).

You would probably have to pick investigators that compliment each other very well and work closer as a team and cover each others weaknesses.

I'm sure its possible.

yea, i thought it could be tight, i guess i need 1 more complete cycle to feel comfortable to play with 4 :)

Additional question for mask assets from Carnevale of horrors (i just got that scenario pack). I see that they have specific rule to use them in that scenario, but not sure why we couldn't use them to build deck in other scenarios?

Thanks 

20 minutes ago, AleksDj said:

Additional question for mask assets from Carnevale of horrors (i just got that scenario pack). I see that they have specific rule to use them in that scenario, but not sure why we couldn't use them to build deck in other scenarios?

Because they are scenario cards you can only gain by playing (and qualifying for them) through that scenario. They're not generic player cards.

We don't know yet how optimized decks would need to be to win the campaign, because we only have half of it. As for building decks, with your collection, you have about 20 cards for each class (as of the 2nd pack) and 26 neutral cards (counting only level 0 cards, since you can't start with the others). You should get a few more in later packs, but the last pack has almost no level 0 cards (for some reason, Seekers get more level 0 cards and fewer experienced cards than the other classes). You're going to struggle to build 4 viable decks.

Can you build 3 viable decks at this point with a single core and a set of Dunwich cycle?  If so, what flexibility would you have for investigators?

I'm only asking because I haven't been able to get hold of Dunwich yet (out of stock). 

I would honestly say - even 2 players can be tough with just 1 copy of the core set...  With 2 copies of the core set playing with 4 players still requires careful consideration of each player's role, and I would say significantly coordinated team play.  1 more cycle may still not be enough to adequately build 4 decks without a 2nd core.

Edited by shosuko

4 hours ago, Khudzlin said:

We don't know yet how optimized decks would need to be to win the campaign, because we only have half of it. As for building decks, with your collection, you have about 20 cards for each class (as of the 2nd pack) and 26 neutral cards (counting only level 0 cards, since you can't start with the others). You should get a few more in later packs, but the last pack has almost no level 0 cards (for some reason, Seekers get more level 0 cards and fewer experienced cards than the other classes). You're going to struggle to build 4 viable decks.

True say didn't even think about card leveling and needing level 0 cards to start. Yep its gonna be hella difficult to build 4 decks with 1 core set.

To be frank, I don't get why people object to buying multiple core sets for multiple people. In Arkham Horror, you only need 1 playset (2 core sets, 1 of each other box/pack) for each pair of players (which comes up to 1 core set for each player), rather than for each player (as you would in a competitive game).

Another option is to proxy cards as needed.  Some of the cards will be in high demand so it is good to have more than 1/2 of them.  Some of the ally cards in the core box for example.  Having only 1 Leo or 1 Beat Cop can really slow things down. 

2 hours ago, Khudzlin said:

To be frank, I don't get why people object to buying multiple core sets for multiple people. In Arkham Horror, you only need 1 playset (2 core sets, 1 of each other box/pack) for each pair of players (which comes up to 1 core set for each player), rather than for each player (as you would in a competitive game).

I guess it's because it's a cooperative game.  With MTG or Netrunner, you're at home, creating your own deck, etc. and it feels like you want to work on it to get the edge on your opponents.  It makes sense to have your own card pool

Cooperative games feel more like the board game model.  You bring it out - everyone plays together.  You're not frantically thinking for hours on end about the optimal deck.

Also, there are examples of cooperative card games that FFG has produced that don't require more than one set.  E.g. Warhammer Quest.  And that's the one I'm "Graduating" from.

I've got 3 players, not 4 like the OP.  I don't mind asking the other players buy their own copies... but we come from the boardgaming side, and I have to "convince" them to do so.  The best way to convince them is to get them playing the game.  If I can make 3 fun decks out of my own set - which is the core (and hopefully Dunwich), that brings me a step closer to convincing them that this is a system they should purchase a core for.

2 hours ago, Khudzlin said:

Because some of us doesn't have money to buy the same game twice :)

10 minutes ago, AleksDj said:

Because some of us doesn't have money to buy the same game twice :)

In that case, getting into a LCG is probably not the best idea... ^_^

16 minutes ago, Khudzlin said:

Well, you are 4, so you only have to pitch an extra $10 each for a second core set.

Core set is here 60eur and i need to buy it by myself to get some people to play it. Board gaming in Serbia is pretty taboo subject still... and there are people that will play, but if you bring the game, why would they spend the money :D

Whoa hey now. I have only Core Dunwhich and Miskatonic (I want all six cycle sets but not gotten to Essex in terms of having money) and I built three decks and I couldn't have an easier time. I kicked the crap out of all three scenes. I'm sure with enough you can easily build a 4th deck.

1 hour ago, CEOWolf said:

Whoa hey now. I have only Core Dunwhich and Miskatonic (I want all six cycle sets but not gotten to Essex in terms of having money) and I built three decks and I couldn't have an easier time. I kicked the crap out of all three scenes. I'm sure with enough you can easily build a 4th deck.

Thanks.  That's exactly what I need to know to give my folks a fix... (Hey!  The first one's free!)

I'll be honest until last night I was deffo one of those "nope I solo never ever will I buy a second core" then I looked at my decks and every expansion has 2 or each card yet the core only has one copy of each player card,  I kept thinking that getting a second core would make it too easy but I am starting to think that the core is really more a case of a basic intro to the game to get you up and running.  Deffo you will be limited in the decks you can make (no wiggle room) and if you wanna play more than 2 you seriously need more than 1 boxed .. I have all the decks so far and even with everything the decks are not the best to play with (I solo with single investigator too :S) so I do see the benefit of getting a second core and the simple fact that its not going to destroy the game as 99% of the cards are being released in pairs :S .. Few months time I'll pick up a second core and fround out my initial decks but for now I am happy with what I have.

19 minutes ago, Causty said:

I'll be honest until last night I was deffo one of those "nope I solo never ever will I buy a second core" then I looked at my decks and every expansion has 2 or each card yet the core only has one copy of each player card,  I kept thinking that getting a second core would make it too easy but I am starting to think that the core is really more a case of a basic intro to the game to get you up and running.  Deffo you will be limited in the decks you can make (no wiggle room) and if you wanna play more than 2 you seriously need more than 1 boxed .. I have all the decks so far and even with everything the decks are not the best to play with (I solo with single investigator too :S) so I do see the benefit of getting a second core and the simple fact that its not going to destroy the game as 99% of the cards are being released in pairs :S .. Few months time I'll pick up a second core and fround out my initial decks but for now I am happy with what I have.

I will buy itbin case they rel3ase player cards only, its already too expensive here, and i dont want duplicates of agendas, locations, etc. 

On 23/3/2017 at 2:11 PM, Khudzlin said:

Well, I guess everyone has his own reasons for that. For some people is the money, for me it's more like the idea of buying the same product twice that i find particulary difficult to manage. I will probably buy every expansion that will come, but never ever a single one twice. I would have gladly paid more for a 4 player core, but I won't buy two of them, 'cause it feels wrong to me, too much unwanted duplicate stuff. I get it's only my psychosis, probably, but it's Arkham Horror so I'm entitled to some psychosis by default, I would say.

However, my position is peculiar: I use LCGs as boardgames, for example we play WH:I with only my  decks and works like a charm, having enough expansions to keep a deck of every faction (including neutrals) built and ready to go.  I coluldn't care less for organized play, so as long as my decks are balanced between them "viability" and "strenght" are concepts that do not apply to my games.

That said, with only 1 base and 1 Dunwitch (no pack yet, i've ordered them but they're still not in my hands) I was able to build 3 decks without headaches, though I don't know If competitive players would be satisfied by them, but they worked for us and we were able to get through the first scenario without problems.

One last note: as I said I wouldn't ever buy a second core, but I could consider a small pack with ONLY investigator cards, if it ever came out.

As has been pointed out many times, FFG is very unlikely to ever release a player-cards-only pack. As for duplicate stuff, extra copies of encounter cards allow you to have more scenarios ready at the same time. Even if you're going to play only 1 scenario at a time, you won't need to sort encounter cards between scenarios as often.