Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tom1132

Long-Term Storage Solution

Recommended Posts

Hi all!

I'm a relative noob to this game but I'm really loving it so far. My girlfriend and I are borderline addicted at this point, but already we are running into some storage problems.

So far I have;

- 1 Core Set, Emyn Muil, Rhosgobel

- Khazad Dum

- Voice of Isengard (unopened), The Antlered Crown (unopened)

- The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill (unopened)

- Massing at Osgiliath

 

Now, I'm in the UK. I have used deck boxes here and there but honestly, I would like everything I have to be in ONE container, if at all possible. Is there a long-term storage solution available for sleeved cards that uses labelled dividers that anyone here could recommend?

I have seen this on Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IKIYS4I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490183833&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=lotr+lcg+storage&dpPl=1&dpID=517jdu0d-oL&ref=plSrch) but some of the reviews are saying that this only fits the *old* core box. Since we got ours this past Christmas, I'd imagine it's a newer printing and therefore slightly different sized box (supposedly a few millimeters which prevent this from fitting inside the newer boxes). I don't know the validity of this since I have no reference but maybe you guys will know.

 

Any help appreciated! I like to have my stuff organized and at the moment it's a bit all over the place :P

What I'd *love* to do is get custom dividers made with the scenario/cycle symbols on them with the art of each expansion as a background. I've seen some awesome ones just looking on Google Images. But one step at a time!

Edited by Tom1132

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the answer depends on how you deck build. I'm also UK based, so I used the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004P317A0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These fit the LOTR cards with either FFG sleeves or UltraPro sleeves. I ordered a 10 pack several years ago. I recently built the final box in order to fit the more recent cycles. I put each sphere in a separate box, and then neutral and other odd ones (Valour, Doomed, Secrecy) in another. Then each cycle and some sagas go in each other box.

It works quite well and is very cost effective, *but* I had to custom make dividers to separate, eg, heroes from allies from attachments etc in each sphere box, and I have to remember my rough organisation within each category. My custom dividers are super crude, but they do the trick. My standard procedure is to lump allies by trait (so all silvans), and order them by cost, then attachments by effect/trait (so ranger attachments, resources, location control), then events by effect/trait.

It can be a little slow finding a specific card, but it is fairly neat, fits on a shelf, and because I can write on them I know exactly what's in each box. My main gripe is that boxes with relatively few cards in them don't keep the cards upright: what I really need are tiny bookends to hold the cards in place, but that's maybe a step too far. Anyway, that's one option. They're solid boxes btw. I've moved house 4 times with them, including a full on inter-city move, and they held up, and all my cards are safe. :D

Edited by monkeyrama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not aware of a size difference between different printings of the core set. I bought a new core just this year straight from FFG and it was the same size as the cores I have from years ago. Are the boxes a different size in the UK? 

I use five colored binders for my player cards, one for each sphere and neutral, with the quest cards in the back of the neutral binder. The encounter cards I keep in the Core set boxes with one of those laser cut inserts from The Broken Token, sorted by cycle with slips of cardstock between the encounter sets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tom1132 said:

Hi all!

I'm a relative noob to this game but I'm really loving it so far. My girlfriend and I are borderline addicted at this point, but already we are running into some storage problems.

So far I have;

- 1 Core Set, Emyn Muil, Rhosgobel

- Khazad Dum

- Voice of Isengard (unopened), The Antlered Crown (unopened)

- The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill (unopened)

- Massing at Osgiliath

 

Now, I'm in the UK. I have used deck boxes here and there but honestly, I would like everything I have to be in ONE container, if at all possible. Is there a long-term storage solution available for sleeved cards that uses labelled dividers that anyone here could recommend?

I have seen this on Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IKIYS4I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490183833&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=lotr+lcg+storage&dpPl=1&dpID=517jdu0d-oL&ref=plSrch) but some of the reviews are saying that this only fits the *old* core box. Since we got ours this past Christmas, I'd imagine it's a newer printing and therefore slightly different sized box (supposedly a few millimeters which prevent this from fitting inside the newer boxes). I don't know the validity of this since I have no reference but maybe you guys will know.

 

Any help appreciated! I like to have my stuff organized and at the moment it's a bit all over the place :P

What I'd *love* to do is get custom dividers made with the scenario/cycle symbols on them with the art of each expansion as a background. I've seen some awesome ones just looking on Google Images. But one step at a time!

Hi Tom

Try these guys  http://oplaser.co.uk/shop/lotr-vertical-storage.html

They produce specialist boxes for LoTR LCG

There are some card divider templates in the BGG files section. You'll need to print them out yourself.  

Edited by JonG
Better link inserted + info on dividers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JonG said:

Hi Tom

Try these guys  http://oplaser.co.uk/shop/lotr-vertical-storage.html

They produce specialist boxes for LoTR LCG

There are some card divider templates in the BGG files section. You'll need to print them out yourself.  

Oh man, so shiny. Now I want to trash my current storage solution and invest in these. So. Shiny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2017 at 9:50 AM, Authraw said:

I was not aware of a size difference between different printings of the core set. I bought a new core just this year straight from FFG and it was the same size as the cores I have from years ago. Are the boxes a different size in the UK? 

I use five colored binders for my player cards, one for each sphere and neutral, with the quest cards in the back of the neutral binder. The encounter cards I keep in the Core set boxes with one of those laser cut inserts from The Broken Token, sorted by cycle with slips of cardstock between the encounter sets. 

Yeah, over at Go 7 Gaming they have two big box basic LCG inserts for the two different sizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...