AdamGATX105

Mass Effect Andromeda doesn't suck!

Personal opinion. Only have played it about 4 hours so far but I am really enjoying the game! A lot of reviews out there saying the animation and writing are bad and most seemed tied to just one character you encounter about 2-3 hours in. Four me I didn't really notice but maybe that's because the game drew me in.

Combat is great feels like Mass Effect 3. Exploration is fun I love the little scanner tool you get just adds more to it. 

This isn't a direct sequel to the previous trilogy it really is its on thing with a fresh start.

I played the 10hrs of Trial and is about 6hrs in the game proper now.

Personally, I love it. Maybe because I'm a fanboi for Mass Effect.

After reading the reviews, the facial/movements animations were glaring when you see them happening. So just ignore them.

Some lines were also corny,  but I think that is suppose to be the feel of the game.

What I enjoyed so far, are the combat (although the lack of more control/commands of party members, not to mention can't customize their equipment is unfortunate) and exploration.

Edited by Anferno

On 3/22/2017 at 3:52 AM, taulover55 said:

I hate you all. Cant play it yet as no PS4/Xbone/decent PC.

anyone want to swap a small child for one of the above? lol

Please don't contact my wife as she would be willing to swap in a heartbeat and my PS4 would be gone

Edited by AdamGATX105

3 hours ago, AdamGATX105 said:

Please don't contact my wife as she would be willing to swap in a heartbeat and my PS4 would be gone

lol.

my pc at home wont even let me log in here so has no chance of running it! lol. i am looking forward to getting a ps4 just for all the JRPG's and sword art online stuff along with Andromeda.

my-face-is-hoxj3j.jpg

4bc.png

Okay, I don't think it is a bad game. I am just frustrated with AAA videogame industry (why I switched to X-wing and board games). I feel there is more heart in board games instead of greed for money as there is in the AAA Videogame industry. I stay away from all games that are full retail AND have microtransactions as well. Unfortunately that is the norm now.:(

Edited by Marinealver

It's glitchy, ugly and character creation sucks.

Some bits like team management have been really dumbed down.

The UI is terrible, it can take 10 button presses to cycle to the next active mission.

Why do I have to manually switch between looking left and right? When I'm at the right edge of cover I should automatically switch to looking right.

There is a lot that was done wrong in andromeda, while still a good game it's not on the same level as previous mass effect games.

That being said there are some great improvements in movement, conversation, vehicle and levelling up. I'm half way through the second planet an  so far the game has kept me on rails, I do expect it to open up soon and get a lot more interesting.

The game is good.

Most of the "bad reviews" are either trolls or people who think graphics > gameplay and story.  You know, idiots.

It kept a lot of the combat mechanics from Mass Effect 3 (including the switching views from left to right shoulder).

It vastly improved the scanning functions for planets.  Meaning there's less and it's faster to do.  Therefore less tedious.

The Nomad is vastly superior to the Mako.  It's like comparing a F-22 to the Wright Brothers Flyer.

Squad management is a LOT easier.  Use the directional pad to direct one or both squad members to defend an area or attack a target.  You don't have to manage their weapons, only how you allocate skill points.  And you can switch them out at any forward deployment station (which you can find all over each planet).

The UI is fine.  The whole "10 button presses" is an exaggeration.  You go to the menu (just like in ME 1-3).  You go to the Journal (just like in ME 1-3).  You pick the type of mission (just like in ME 1-3).  Then you pick the mission (just like in ME 1-3).

The conversations are vastly improved, allowing much more varied responses than simple "renegade/paragon".

Combat, while similar to ME 2 and ME 3, is improved through the use of jump jets and the ability for vertical movement and hovering.

You characters are not shoehorned into a role either, you can easily switch between combat, biotic, and tech abilities, including saving "profiles" that you can switch between on the fly.  Got an enemy that doesn't care about your biotics?  Switch to combat.  Going after robots?  Switch to tech.  Want to dangle people in the air and laugh maniacally as your loyal krogan blasts them with a shotgun?  Switch to biotic.

Your Research and Development section is great as well.  Scanning things with your omni-tool gives you research points (Milky Way, Heleus Cluster, and Remnant).  You can then spend those on researching new weapons and armor, upgraded versions of those weapons and armor, and augmentations.

You can then craft (yes, crafting is now a thing) items with all those resources you've been gathering.  Why craft instead of just buying or using what you loot?  Because when you craft an item, you can add augmentations to it to increase effectiveness or give nifty bonuses (like turning a weapon into a beam weapon, or giving you a chance to refill ammo when you shields break).  And that's on top of the two mods you can put into each weapon too.

Gameplay wise, Andromeda is superior to Mass Effect 1, better than Mass Effect 2, and on par with Mass Effect 3.

Story wise, Andromeda is superior to Mass Effect 3, on par with Mass Effect 1, and not as good as Mass Effect 2.

Wow, way to take the opinions of people who don't agree with you and dismiss them as trolls and you know, idiots. So none of the plethora of bugs recorded actually exist? People have no right to complain that many of the characters look like a hybrid between a human and the CGI smurfs while they actually got the males spot on? Can we at least talk about one of the designers being an open and proud bigot and that maybe people don't appreciate a company supporting such a person?

But then I guess the world is filled with trolls and idiots who aren't buying the game as it is behind both Mass Effect 2 and 3 in sales.

Hype the game all you want, but there's a significant number of people who have issues with the game and their opinions are just as valid as yours and you have no right to denigrate them in order to make your view look more popular.

3 hours ago, flyboymb said:

Wow, way to take the opinions of people who don't agree with you and dismiss them as trolls and you know, idiots. So none of the plethora of bugs recorded actually exist? People have no right to complain that many of the characters look like a hybrid between a human and the CGI smurfs while they actually got the males spot on? Can we at least talk about one of the designers being an open and proud bigot and that maybe people don't appreciate a company supporting such a person?

But then I guess the world is filled with trolls and idiots who aren't buying the game as it is behind both Mass Effect 2 and 3 in sales.

Hype the game all you want, but there's a significant number of people who have issues with the game and their opinions are just as valid as yours and you have no right to denigrate them in order to make your view look more popular.

Yes, because graphics are the end-all be-all of a game.

Because if you actually READ most of the reviews, that's where the majority of the complaints come from.  THE.  GRAPHICS.

But go ahead and take your fairly weak retort and ride your high-horse, son.

And ignore the bulk of the user reviews on Metacritic.  You know, the ones that rated the game a 0 out of 10 the DAY it came out.

Or the bulk of the youtube "reviews" who said "graphic glitches!  don't buy!  game sucks!  graphic glitches!"

Now, son, if you can come back with some actual counterpoints to what I said, by all means, go ahead.  Tell me how the game, other than a handful of graphical glitches, is horrible.

I'll be waiting.

5 minutes ago, TheRabidAardvark said:

Now, son, if you can come back with some actual counterpoints to what I said, by all means, go ahead.  Tell me how the game, other than a handful of graphical glitches, is horrible.

I don't really have a horse in this race so to speak, but I don't think you can make any legitimate counterpoints to opinions besides COUNTERPOINT: I don't like it.

Also, this isn't directed at this game especially, but has there been any game where crafting system was implemented and it didn't feel tacked on? This is my least favorite trend in recent video games, I'd always just rather have pickups of stuff.

On 28.3.2017 at 11:28 PM, TheRabidAardvark said:

Because if you actually READ most of the reviews, that's where the majority of the complaints come from.  THE.  GRAPHICS.

And ignore the bulk of the user reviews on Metacritic.  You know, the ones that rated the game a 0 out of 10 the DAY it came out.

Or the bulk of the youtube "reviews" who said "graphic glitches!  don't buy!  game sucks!  graphic glitches!"

I'll be waiting.

The game being glitchy is a pretty good reason to hold off. Graphics don't matter is a half-truth. Graphical fidelity matters little. Graphical consistency, cohesion, style? Absolutely. Borked up animations can snap you right out of the immersion and that is very bad. So yes, it is fair to put a focus on that if it is bad enough.

If any of that applies the the new ME I couldn't tell. Some of the things you see look pretty aweful. I have also heard of players enjoying it anyways, so at least waiting for Bioware to fix their game couldbe worth it.

I'm not touching it till its patched, maybe not till its on sale they burnt me bad with the third game I'm not well inclined towards mass effect these days.

And those fugly models are off putting given your spending 100 hours or more looking at them.

On 4/2/2017 at 6:40 AM, Hobojebus said:

I'm not touching it till its patched, maybe not till its on sale they burnt me bad with the third game I'm not well inclined towards mass effect these days.

And those fugly models are off putting given your spending 100 hours or more looking at them.

Same here. I know a patch wont fix all the issues, but I want the best version they can make before I drop my $$ and time into it.

It's not just graphic glitches, there are gameplay glitches that lead to quests that cannot be completed or broken dialogue. Plenty of them.

That being said the game is growing on me, there have been some good boss fights (and some annoying ones).

The first details of a massive patch have been released today. The game is worth a try but I'd wait until the patch is available first.

The patch will be available Thursday and won't fix everything, but it is the first patch of many.

Edited by mulletcheese

23 hours ago, mulletcheese said:

It's not just graphic glitches, there are gameplay glitches that lead to quests that cannot be completed or broken dialogue. Plenty of them.

That being said the game is growing on me, there have been some good boss fights (and some annoying ones).

The first details of a massive patch have been released today. The game is worth a try but I'd wait until the patch is available first.

The patch will be available Thursday and won't fix everything, but it is the first patch of many.

I happen to be an avid sailor.

To that end I have ringed the Great Lakes, island-hopped the coast of Maine, and braved the seas off Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket all in a Cat-22. The boat has survived storms, squalls, rocks, hidden sandbars, hull-cracks, falling off the trailer, lost sails, and un-buffered docks, and the experiences have taught me numerous lessons, one more important than all of them: 

Patches aren't of use if the boat is underwater. At that point it's best to cut your losses and buy a new one.

Hey, don't feel bad though. We deported all of the the ugly people from the Milky Way, so now everyone who's not in Andromeda is likely to be a Shepard-type hunk/babe! :lol:

On 3/28/2017 at 4:28 PM, TheRabidAardvark said:

I'll be waiting.

Think the vast majority of the other responses more than covered any response I could make to this sophomoric post. As I said, I absolutely loved ME 1 and 2 but I refuse to reward shoddy programming that treats first day buyers as people paying for the honor of being beta testers. Newsflash kid, people are allowed to dislike stuff that you like and their reasoning does not have to change your mind in order to be as justified an opinion as yours. Trying to base your argument off of such a standard and attempting to strengthen it by saying that whole groups of opposing viewpoints should be ignored is the equivalent of sitting down, closing your eyes, plugging your ears and screaming LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU SO I'M RIGHT. Might work for you but hardly convincing to others.

As for the Metacritic scores, I didn't even mention them but thanks for bringing them up. These guys usually have a vested interest in keeping the major game companies happy as otherwise they find themselves suddenly out in the cold when it comes to future developments. Considering their reviews are how they stay in business, a low score has to be weighed against whatever future retribution the studio might dole out. This is why an abysmal score is usually in the 70's/100 and the vast majority of the remainder of the scale is reserved for the rare piece of pure trash like Superman 64. If you were to apply this kind of scoring to something like academics, people would be passing exams unless they fell asleep and drooled on their paper.

Given all that, if a game put out by the likes of EA and Bioware earns a toxic rating, it most likely has earned that rating and likely should have been given a lower one if things like black balling were not a factor to these guys.

But hey, I'm sure that if all these negative opinions were bogus and should be ignored, Bioware wouldn't take the time and money in order to address them. No laundry list of promised changes in order to bring sales up to match those of Mass Effect 3 with the original ending right?

Heck, if they change things enough, maybe EA will change its mind about not releasing ME:A in Japan.

But hey, keep on spewing the venom. It's good for a quick laugh.

1. Gameplay - feels nice. Like good old ME. +++

2. Story - looks promising, 2h into a game i can't tell much but it looks promising +

3. Exploration - even on prologue planet i really liked to dich the story and just...explore. +++

4. Performance - thats a joke. I got stutter all over the place. And i got really decent rig. Smooth high capable for sure - and i have not seen any performance drops or raises between low and ultra lol. I run BF1 on smooth ultra and this is barely playable on med :D ---

5. Looks..oh boy. Don't know where to start. Anti-aliasing working like crap ?(seriously i got antialiased hand that consist of 5 steps...). Depth of field? That does expand like 3% beyond object that is supposed to be focused on? Or does not work on glass (helmet is the focal point and i see vegetation behind helmet glass sharp.Really?). Faces are even not the issue when the rest of the game looks like crap. ---------