Mcpolle

Biggs question

36 posts in this topic

Do you think, if we made a petition to FFG, that we were all for a Biggs fix/ make over, so that they could make an X wing fix, do you think if would have any effect

More seriously, I think the current FAQ for Biggs is enough of a nerf. He's not going to win tournaments anytime soon; maybe it'll become a problem with an X-Wing nerf, but then again, maybe not.

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Ailowynn said:

More seriously, I think the current FAQ for Biggs is enough of a nerf. He's not going to win tournaments anytime soon; maybe it'll become a problem with an X-Wing nerf, but then again, maybe not.

Heaver Naboo (100)

Miranda Doni (48) - K-Wing Twin Laser Turret (6), Extra Munitions (2), Sabine Wren (2), Cluster Mines (4), Thermal Detonators (3), Advanced SLAM (2)

Biggs Darklighter (26) - X-Wing R4-D6 (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (26) - Y-Wing Twin Laser Turret (6), R3-A2 (2), BTL-A4 Y-wing (0)

Edited by kris40k

Biggs needs to be adjusted so he doesn't make it so much harder to make other X-wings better.  If he were the only x-wing he wouldn't be that big a deal.

Given all that, FFG probably doesn't need to do anything with Biggs until they decide to fix X-wings generally, and I know I speak for everyone when I say that will hopefully happen real soon now.  

5 hours ago, kris40k said:

Heaver Naboo (100)

Miranda Doni (48) - K-Wing Twin Laser Turret (6), Extra Munitions (2), Sabine Wren (2), Cluster Mines (4), Thermal Detonators (3), Advanced SLAM (2)

Biggs Darklighter (26) - X-Wing R4-D6 (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (26) - Y-Wing Twin Laser Turret (6), R3-A2 (2), BTL-A4 Y-wing (0)

Can't wait to see him fly against Nand at worlds this year... 

4fox100 likes this

If biggs ever gets the nerf bat, I'm wondering if they'll change his ability to once per round or something.  Either that or make it that he can only protect one other ship at range 1, not every ship at range 1.

Biggs isnt so bad he needs a personal buff above the other xwings. Each xwing can be fixed with their classic astromechs if needed. Seriously his ability is "pretend i have a better ability", 26 points can be better spent.

13 hours ago, GeneticDrift said:

Biggs isnt so bad he needs a personal buff above the other xwings. Each xwing can be fixed with their classic astromechs if needed. Seriously his ability is "pretend i have a better ability", 26 points can be better spent.

lol

Your satire is on point.

Biggs is the single most powerful ability in the game and he warps the design space for rebels such that EVERY choice has to consider 'but what if they run this with Biggs'.

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

lol

Your satire is on point.

Biggs is the single most powerful ability in the game and he warps the design space for rebels such that EVERY choice has to consider 'but what if they run this with Biggs'.

Yes, Biggs is good. But Biggs also takes high skill to use effectively. A new player isn't going to take Biggs and immediately succeed like other power lists (like dengaroo/ old whisper/ even paratini). 

I want ant to see an xwing fix. I'm not convinced anymore that Biggs is the reason. (I do think he's a big design barrier though). If they had  to change it, I'd rather they have him give an evade token to every ship at range 1. 

Edited by Shenannigan
timg_83, 4fox100 and nitrobenz like this

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, GeneticDrift said:

What? The T-65 is ovecosted and underperforming as a chassis. And no Astromech they ever brought out came close to fix it. The only reason People take Biggs is as a punching bag to protect ships they don't want dead.

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

lol

Your satire is on point.

But this is also Not true. Biggs is 5 (now6) HP in a can. His damage is negligeable, and Soontir, Vader, Miranda, Dengar and many others would like to object about the ability thing. Also he has already been nerfed so that Ordnance doesn't need to target him anymore...

On the design choices. If you are right, and they drop Biggs now, then Rebels should have plenty of bad ships by design, because of him. I would like to differ. They have some real potatoes, but there are also some that are totally playable on their own.

Edited by ForceM

Whether or not he's the reason for the lack of an X-Wing 'fix' (and I believe he is), Biggs is the most dull and mechanically clunky pilot in the game, and the only reason he is taken is as ablative armour for something else. I don't really agree that he takes much skill to use, either, since all he has to realistically do is stay in some kind of formation with the thing he's a meatshield for, and he can happily bump into things and not particularly care - most noticeably in the Kanan/Biggs list of abject tedium.

In my opinion, Biggs is a crutch and shows a lack of imagination when used. In a game where decision making is such a large part (target priority, in this case), removing decisions from a player is, in my mind, a design Deadly Sin. This kind of 'taunt' ability needs to be more limited than an always-on bubble for everyone within it.

Archangelspiv and Biophysical like this

15 hours ago, Shenannigan said:

Yes, Biggs is good. But Biggs also takes high skill to use effectively. A new player isn't going to take Biggs and immediately succeed like other power lists (like dengaroo/ old whisper/ even paratini). 

I want ant to see an xwing fix. I'm not convinced anymore that Biggs is the reason. (I do think he's a big design barrier though). If they had  to change it, I'd rather they have him give an evade token to every ship at range 1. 

Completely agree on this point. Biggs does take a good amount of skill to fly effectively. I was privileged enough to be at Naboo and watch the final game and let me tell you Paul Heaver is something else when it comes to flying. It was absolute perfection. 

timg_83 likes this

Pheaver's still using that stress hawg I see.  Three ships in a squadron, that must have been a tough call for him, usually he doesn't roll with less than 4.

14 hours ago, MalusCalibur said:

Whether or not he's the reason for the lack of an X-Wing 'fix' (and I believe he is), 

I think FFG believed Integrated Astromech was going to be _the_ X-Wing fix. But they are just a hair off. If the card had reduced Astromechs by 1 or 2 points, it would have been spot on.

In a hypothetical X-Wing 2.0, Biggs' ability should look a lot like Captain Rex's. With Rex, you _can_ target someone else, but you're at a penalty if you do. Maybe something like:

The first time in a round another friendly ship at range one is declared the target of an attack, the attacker may not modify their dice.

1 minute ago, Punning Pundit said:

I think FFG believed Integrated Astromech was going to be _the_ X-Wing fix. But they are just a hair off. If the card had reduced Astromechs by 1 or 2 points, it would have been spot on.

Zero point Astro or -2 title that required astromech and IA.  -2 seems to be the magic number to reduce costs on ships.  I guess it depends on if 5 X-wings in a squad at 6 HP each and 2 agility would be more effective than 5 auto-ceptors, 5 naked Fangs or Khyraxz's or even 5 Bombers with Torps and chimps or the super scary 5 Y-wings with auto turrets.

X-wings are supposed to be fun to play.  Has anyone had fun lately (in the past 2 years) with the T-65? T-70?

Punning Pundit likes this

3 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

X-wings are supposed to be fun to play.  Has anyone had fun lately (in the past 2 years) with the T-65? T-70?

T-70s are a blast to fly. Even the ones that aren't competitive have a few interesting options and can do all kinds of neat stuff.

T-65s are... They go forward. They K-Turn. They... They're really basic. Their dial isn't bad enough to justify R2, nor good enough to justify a few other droids. They're just bland. Which is part of the problem.

Karhedron likes this

3 hours ago, Punning Pundit said:

T-70s are a blast to fly. Even the ones that aren't competitive have a few interesting options and can do all kinds of neat stuff.

T-65s are... They go forward. They K-Turn. They... They're really basic. Their dial isn't bad enough to justify R2, nor good enough to justify a few other droids. They're just bland. Which is part of the problem.

Yeah, the T70s may not be top-tier but several pilots are fun to fly and you can do some good builds.

I don't mind T65s being bland per-se, the problem is that they are overcosted/underpowered. They tried to build the game right back in the core set to allow 2 Ties to face off against a single X-wing and that has always been their problem. The IA fix helped a little but not enough.

I am not convinced Biggs is the reason the T65s have not been fixed. FFG have known about Biggs for a long time and could have done something if that were the case. The FAQ allowing ordnance to ignore Biggs seems to have been their only acknowledgement of him. I don't think they will do anything about Biggs unless he suddenly starts cropping up in all the top-8 rebel lists (hello Manaroo and Palpatine). While there are some strong Biggs builds, there are also plenty that do well without featuring him such as Miranda-Dash, Rey-Ace etc.

Punning Pundit likes this

I mean, Biggs was literally part of the list that won a system open last weekend.

I suspect he doesn't get played much because people don't enjoy playing him, rather than because he's not good - and him not getting played much doesn't mean he's not warping the design process for Rebels - because the instant they release something that DOES make him super OP, he would be.  So they can't, despite the fact that that thing woudl probably not in and of itself be super OP without him.

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

I mean, Biggs was literally part of the list that won a system open last weekend.

One win does not make him a problem. It is if he turns up in half the lists in the top-8 that it starts to look fishy. Torpedoe scouts and Paratanni were both massively spammed which flagged up the issue to FFG as a problem. Biggs is popular and is in some winning lists but he is not being spammed like either of the above lists.

No.

I'm honestly not sure why, he's perfectly good enough.

As I say, I think it's probably more that people don''t find him interesting or enjoyable, than because he's not good.