CptWasp

My Imperial Raider is missing a turret...

8 posts in this topic

I bought an imperial raider for my collection months ago, and I opened it up today. Incredibly, one of the turrets is just missing... I searched inside the box, but nothing... no turret. Suggestions? I already wrote to FFG support, but I have little hope, since the damage is little. 

My first idea is to remove the other turret (the missing one is the first right turret, so I would remove the left one), and to paint the two missing turrets with hull grey, so they seem closed. 

Photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/trohiv6nsjsoquk/2017-03-20 21.49.11.jpg?dl=0

5 minutes ago, joyrock said:

Alternatively if you have the skill, you can go for a battle scarred look. 

I have the skill... but then I would buy another Raider, I know myself enough. But I admit it's a good idea. I could even use some colored cotton and depict an explosion.

1 minute ago, CptWasp said:

I have the skill... but then I would buy another Raider, I know myself enough. But I admit it's a good idea. I could even use some colored cotton and depict an explosion.

Yeah fair enough. Best of luck either way, hopefully ffg gets back to you. I also don't think it's as unlikely as you think; it looks like a small piece, so they can just mail you a replacement. 

CptWasp likes this

Very good of you to provide some photographic evidence.  I guess it would have been better had you showed the damage while the ship was still in the packaging to prove you didn't accidently break it but at least we can see it's missing.

I'm just saying all of that because FFG is generally seen has having had some wonderful customer service that may just send a replacement for the entire ship.  The sad thing is that some may abuse that generosity and have indicated as much on these forums.

FFG won't replace epic ships.  They'll tell you to return it to the retailer. Good luck with that after months have passed.  I can see FFG sending a replacement turret, however.  Their customer service is pretty good.  I bought a Y-wing that was missing a turret card and they sent me one within a week.

29 minutes ago, StevenO said:

Very good of you to provide some photographic evidence.  I guess it would have been better had you showed the damage while the ship was still in the packaging to prove you didn't accidently break it but at least we can see it's missing.

I'm just saying all of that because FFG is generally seen has having had some wonderful customer service that may just send a replacement for the entire ship.  The sad thing is that some may abuse that generosity and have indicated as much on these forums.

I used to sing the praises of FFG customer service but it has gone sharply down hill recently. At the beginning of January I bought a StarKiller mat that had bubbles up one side because it was not stretched properly. It took FFG about 2 months to replace it and when they did they sent a StarKiller box with a Deathstar 2 mat inside. I already had the DS 2 mat or I would have just left it there but now I fear I will be waiting another 2 months to get the correct mat. I have offered to send the incorrect mat back but still waiting on a reply. It's been about 2 weeks.

You could make a copy. There's a couple of vids on YouTube showing how to make a molding putty using silicone caulking compound and corn starch or talcum powder. This is much cheaper than silicon rubber.

You can use epoxy for the casting but you'll need to use some type of mold release. The epoxy is cheaper than casting compounds. If you go this route, you'll need to make a "squash" mold as the epoxy is too thick to pour. Basically you'll fill both sides of the mold with epoxy and squeeze them together. Wait to the epoxy hardens and strip the mold. Let the casting cure for atleast 24 hrs. Cleanup using sandpaper and files, wash, dry, prime and paint.

On YouTube look at Grant Thompson proto putty. He shows how to make and use it.

lntrn8 likes this