GrandAdmiralCrunch

Fleet combat in Rebels Season 3 finale

81 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

"The Uploader has not made this video available in your Country."

Sorry about that... I'll look for an alt to post

Posted (edited)

I saw it and it looks fantastic!  Lots of fleet action and at least an interdictor blowing up...they have a tendency to do that on the show.  It also looks like a GR75 crashing down into the planet.

It looks like Sato could be in trouble also.  A Quasar, a neb-b and some GR75 verses 5 ISDs an interdictor and at least one Arq...ouch.

Edited by mcworrell

A rebel fleet at least five times the size of this one had a lot of trouble with two unprepared star destroyers in Rogue One and lost a significant chunk of the fleet in the initial battle as well as when the Devastator warps in.

This is five battle ready, excellently commanded star destroyers against a puny rag tag rebel fleet. If the Empire loses im calling hacks.

42 minutes ago, Forresto said:

A rebel fleet at least five times the size of this one had a lot of trouble with two unprepared star destroyers in Rogue One and lost a significant chunk of the fleet in the initial battle as well as when the Devastator warps in.

This is five battle ready, excellently commanded star destroyers against a puny rag tag rebel fleet. If the Empire loses im calling hacks.

Besides which, Rogue One's Battle of Scarif was the 'first major victory' of the Rebel Alliance. If losing most of your fleet but stealing vital plans and destroying two ISDs counts as a first major victory, and the rebels here lose most of their fleet (which is smaller than the one at Scarif, so less ships lost overall) but destroy 5 ISDs, an Interdictor and the Empire's most accomplished admiral, then something is not right either in the timeline or in the definition of 'major victory'. As such, we can take it as a given that the rebels will lose, and miserably so (though at least 2 hammerheads and the Ghost survive). The only real question is 'by how much will they lose, and what do they take out in the process?). Well, that and 'Who dies?' 

Just now, D503 said:

I think Kanan will die, and Ezra will continue to train with Obi-Wan.

If that happens, then what becomes of him between now and A New Hope? Obi's alone in ANH, and Ezra never shows up at all. You'd think that if he spent two years prior to Luke training with Obi-Wan he'd have some skills to pass down to Luke in between ANH and Empire.

48 minutes ago, Eggzavier said:

Yeah. 

I mean, canonically, they can't win this fight. 

They could probably escape with most of their forces in a fighting retreat.

But they've been building Thrawn up as a military genius. 

It's time for him to actually smash something.

This. The dude is the king of military thought in the Civil War era. In the EU (I'm a Legends Loyalist, sue me*), the only Rebel commander during the Civil War on his level was Ackbar, but the Rebellion survived and was victorious because he was out subduing the Unknown Regions and none of the other Grand Admirals got their **** together until after the debacle otherwise known as Endor. I'm fine with him taking losses, but this needs to devastate the Rebellion. The majority of fleet units here either aren't at Scarif or others (e.g. no Home One, no Profundity) or were procured in such numbers no one cares (Neb-Bs). I really hope they don't chicken out and give the Rebels a victory that is anything more than some survivors. Obviously the new Interdictor gets trashed, and the Star Destroyers get beat up, but I really want this to be Thrawn's masterpiece of the season and not a letdown.

Also recreating this in Armada is easily a 900 pt battle, maybe a CC All Out Assault. Who's in?

*Please don't

Here's the thing that bothers me if they don't make this a devastating loss for the rebels. From a drama basis, a story telling basis, the best way to push the story forward in a really interesting way that shakes things up a lot is for them to lose. Huge defeats can create interesting dynamics and furthermore it elevates victories later on in the timeline. 

If the rebels win all these major victories then what is so special about Scarif and Yavin and Endor? Its one thing for the rebels to see rebels score small victories over convoys and light cruiser but the rebels need to be curb stomped every time they amalgamate. 

Not only that but in Rogue One the rebel council is clearly very VERY wary of opposing the Empire in a head on fight. If they win next week then that makes literally no sense. 

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Forresto said:

Here's the thing that bothers me if they don't make this a devastating loss for the rebels. From a drama basis, a story telling basis, the best way to push the story forward in a really interesting way that shakes things up a lot is for them to lose. Huge defeats can create interesting dynamics and furthermore it elevates victories later on in the timeline. 

If the rebels win all these major victories then what is so special about Scarif and Yavin and Endor? Its one thing for the rebels to see rebels score small victories over convoys and light cruiser but the rebels need to be curb stomped every time they amalgamate. 

Not only that but in Rogue One the rebel council is clearly very VERY wary of opposing the Empire in a head on fight. If they win next week then that makes literally no sense. 

I have to believe that they will handle this correctly.  After watching the rebels recon episode aftet Twin Suns, you can see the huge amount of time and thought that goes into this.

Side note...not to get this off topic...love how they handled Maul vs. Kanobi.

Edited by mcworrell
Forresto, D503, Xindell and 2 others like this

I expect Thrawn to feed false information to the new Alliance through Kallus, which will lead to a devastating defeat for them. Sato won't make it, and the remainder of the fleet will spread out to look for smaller, more favorable engagements in the next season. 

The Ghost crew will be mostly on their own again in the next season, with more planetary diplomatic and undercover engagements, e.g. with the Mandalorians.

At least I hope this is how it continues. If the Rebels crush Thrawn and everyone is kept alive, I will be extremely dissappointed. If the story was not taken with a serious approach, they could just as well have done sequels to the Ewok movies...

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, mcworrell said:

Side note...not to get this off topic...love how they handled Maul vs. Kanobi.

Me too.  If Maul had killed Kenobi he would probably have tea-bagged him while yelling 'noob'.  It was nice to see Obi-Wan be so gentle with a vanquished foe, like a true Jedi.  Seems like he learned something form the Clone Wars after all.

If the Rebels crush Thrawn and everyone is kept alive, I will be extremely dissappointed.

The rebels will lose badly, because it makes a better storyline.  The best Star Wars movies are the ones when the Empire kicks ass, and the best character the Empire has is Thrawn (more so than Vader, due to the prequel-taint).

I'm sure the people who make Rebels have noticed this, and will grind the rebellion into the dirt where it belongs, for the sake of entertainment if nothing else.

Edited by D503

I suspect that Rex is going to bite it this episode. He's not really a main character, his death can serve to accentuate the seriousness of the fight on a personal level while the rebellion scatters and the ghost crew are on their own next season. 

Google Rogue One and look at how bad the original happy ending was going to be, proof you cant always have effective happy endings.