Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jek

Archer Preview

39 posts in this topic

I'm thinking that image is spending an inspiration to trigger wind rune (hence the emphasis on the 2 green runes) shifting 2 then wheeling or reforming or whatever, those all come from the wind rune exhausting after spend the inspiration THEN the actual archer action happens and boom stuff and things get shot!

28 minutes ago, jek said:

I'm thinking that image is spending an inspiration to trigger wind rune (hence the emphasis on the 2 green runes) shifting 2 then wheeling or reforming or whatever, those all come from the wind rune exhausting after spend the inspiration THEN the actual archer action happens and boom stuff and things get shot!

Using an inspiration token only refreshes an upgrade or removes a bane. The wind rune only works with a special action and if the special action is using the Wind Rune as opposed to the Rune Golem's or Carrion Lancer's that appear on their card.

You could use the inspiration token on Tempered Steel.

2 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Hi folks! 

I was also initially a little confused by the presence of an action on the modifier wheel (in this case the "skill" action).  I've checked the rules and it's referred to as a "bonus action" but it still behaves like a modifier in that it is performed after the standard action.  

I think this still makes the Wind Rune upgrade pretty cool, as it lets you move and manoeuvre even after taking a standard move or shooting even, helping the archers keep out of melee for as long as possible :)

Taking a shot and then using the rune to slip behind blocking terrain to avoid return fire perhaps?

Budgernaut, Corto and Sorastro like this

I don't know if this wind tune is good game design TBH. Archer can side step 2 then side step 2 and then reform. That pretty much makes hunting them down extremely difficult. And to do the movement takes no skill at all. 

1 minute ago, Eric W said:

I don't know if this wind tune is good game design TBH. Archer can side step 2 then side step 2 and then reform. That pretty much makes hunting them down extremely difficult. And to do the movement takes no skill at all. 

It does make them pretty slippery doesn't it! But at least they're unable to shoot whilst moving evasively like this :)

Drakoniss, Orcdruid, maxam and 2 others like this

10 hours ago, Kubernes said:

Using an inspiration token only refreshes an upgrade or removes a bane. The wind rune only works with a special action and if the special action is using the Wind Rune as opposed to the Rune Golem's or Carrion Lancer's that appear on their card.

You could use the inspiration token on Tempered Steel.

oooooh ok I see now, I thought the skill Icon was an inspiration my bad, I'm dumb...

10 hours ago, jek said:

oooooh ok I see now, I thought the skill Icon was an inspiration my bad, I'm dumb...

It's more like they look too similar. It's not as bad as getting used to the different runes on unit cards or dials. FFG should have color coded them or make them very different in design or something.

10 minutes ago, Kubernes said:

It's more like they look too similar. It's not as bad as getting used to the different runes on unit cards or dials. FFG should have color coded them or make them very different in design or something.

im pretty sure they will be refered to by shape.  triangle, circle and square.

Tvayumat and Orcdruid like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Kubernes said:

Blue is a square, green is a circle, red is a triangle.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry Klaxas, that's what I get for not reading to the bottom.

Edited by Tvayumat

12 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

Blue is a square, green is a circle, red is a triangle.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry Klaxas, that's what I get for not reading to the bottom.

sok you had more info than i did, i didnt feel like going back to look which was which.

Posted (edited)

Okay so I noticed that in regular preview fashion there is an error in it. Given that the archers use and attack action on their action dial and the skill action on their modifier dial as in the picture halfway through. where they use wind rune followed by an attack.

This is impossible due the to rule of the learn to play guide on page 14. which says that "To resolve a bonus action modifier. a unit performs the action on the modifier dial immediatly AFTER resolving the action on its action dial."

For reference the rule can be found in the Beast of war preview video at the 22:38 mark

EDIT, welp sorastros beat me to it.

Edited by AnimusLiberus
didn't read the full thread...
flightmaster101 likes this