Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jek

Archer Preview

39 posts in this topic

I really like that FFG is bringing up the mindset that you should be trading coreset factions with a friend for getting started in this game...they talk about the archer cost as combine with the trays of another coreset for the 2x2 then add an expansion for the max 3x2...

maxam likes this

Pretty neat upgrades in there, but I am curious, they show one that doubles up with another upgrade in the core (Terrifying Heraldry), have we seen any of these other upgrades before? They've said that you won't need to buy opposing factions for upgrades like you do in X-Wing.. but does that mean they just plan to double and then later triple and quadruple print these and scatter them through out the different factions expansions?

I am looking specifically at Combat Ingenuity, that is a pretty useful card I imagine for more than just the archers.

Posted (edited)

The Reanimate Archers Unit Expansion comes with five upgrade cards compatible with any army.

So does it mean "any army" when it says "any army?" In any case, I love the upgrades for this set. I wish I could collect all the armies!

EDIT: Terrifying Heraldry is Waiqar-only, so it can't be used with Daqan or other armies, but I still wonder how often we'll see upgrades appear in other packs.

Edited by Budgernaut
FrogTrigger likes this

10 minutes ago, jek said:

I really like that FFG is bringing up the mindset that you should be trading coreset factions with a friend for getting started in this game...they talk about the archer cost as combine with the trays of another coreset for the 2x2 then add an expansion for the max 3x2...

Hmm ... I'm not reading it that way. It sounds to me like they're saying, "If you buy this expansion and have a core set, you could field two 2x1 units, or combine them to one 2x2 unit. If you buy another expansion, you can run the max of 2x3."

5 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

So does it mean "any army" when it says "any army?" In any case, I love the upgrades for this set. I wish I could collect all the armies!

EDIT: Terrifying Heraldry is Waiqar-only, so it can't be used with Daqan or other armies, but I still wonder how often we'll see upgrades appear in other packs.

Do you mean Combat Ingenuity?

Ahh ok Just noticed the icon on the bottom left, so what about Tempered Steel then? Seems pretty useful as well, assuming that means you can use it for either a melee or range attack? OR does that mean you have to be able to perform both?

jek likes this

6 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

Hmm ... I'm not reading it that way. It sounds to me like they're saying, "If you buy this expansion and have a core set, you could field two 2x1 units, or combine them to one 2x2 unit. If you buy another expansion, you can run the max of 2x3."

Ah you are correct my bad...

12 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

Pretty neat upgrades in there, but I am curious, they show one that doubles up with another upgrade in the core (Terrifying Heraldry), have we seen any of these other upgrades before? They've said that you won't need to buy opposing factions for upgrades like you do in X-Wing.. but does that mean they just plan to double and then later triple and quadruple print these and scatter them through out the different factions expansions?

I am looking specifically at Combat Ingenuity, that is a pretty useful card I imagine for more than just the archers.

I believe we have seen tempered steel in one of the blogs or unboxings...I think it looks like 2-3 repeats 2-3 new...

FrogTrigger and maxam like this

I wonder if the Rune Golem Expansion will come with Wind Rune. Seems like it would be a great way to counter their inflexible dial. Six points, could be costly, though.

maxam and Muz333 like this

So it looks like the modifier can be used before the action. In this example it looks like the Skill action has been combined with a Ranged Attack action but the Skill has been used to trigger Wind Rune before the attack. Looks to be a great upgrade for the archers! I also never knew that they could do a Shift 2 action before, which adds flexibility to their poor movement.

jek likes this

3 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

So it looks like the modifier can be used before the action. In this example it looks like the Skill action has been combined with a Ranged Attack action but the Skill has been used to trigger Wind Rune before the attack. Looks to be a great upgrade for the archers! I also never knew that they could do a Shift 2 action before, which adds flexibility to their poor movement.

I mean they never said there wouldn't be faster shift actions, this just happens to be rune based which is awesome! is two the maximum green runes you can get?

Muz333 likes this

Just now, jek said:

I mean they never said there wouldn't be faster shift actions, this just happens to be rune based which is awesome! is two the maximum green runes you can get?

I meant they have a Shift 2 on their action dial! There's a 12.5% chance to have three green runes (stolen from the Runemath thread).

36 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

I meant they have a Shift 2 on their action dial! There's a 12.5% chance to have three green runes (stolen from the Runemath thread).

HOLY POOP! I didn't even notice that!!!

Muz333 likes this

At that moment expansions are not mirror content about upgrade cards. There are still to reveal more boxes like command group, reanimates, worms and hero  

I hope to get "Momment of Inspiration" to my Waiqar army on any of those upgrade boxes. If not I'm out of the game.  

2 hours ago, Muz333 said:

It doesn't really imply they shift, reform, then attack on same turn. It says it allows them to set up a great attack. Could be just setting up for next turn. 

2 hours ago, Muz333 said:

So it looks like the modifier can be used before the action. In this example it looks like the Skill action has been combined with a Ranged Attack action but the Skill has been used to trigger Wind Rune before the attack. Looks to be a great upgrade for the archers!

13 minutes ago, Eric W said:

It doesn't really imply they shift, reform, then attack on same turn. It says it allows them to set up a great attack. Could be just setting up for next turn. 

Well, if you execute a wheel modifier, your modifier changes the template you use for your march command before you execute the march command, so I think it is possible that you could indeed fire after using Wind Rune. The image shows the archers firing, not just getting the Rune Golem in arc. Granted, FFG news articles are notorious for getting rules wrong, but I could see it working either way in this case. I can't wait to get a copy of the rules to know for sure!

Muz333 likes this

1 minute ago, Budgernaut said:

The image shows the archers firing, not just getting the Rune Golem in arc.

Exactly! Which is where I'm deriving my interpretation of the rules from.

The bonus action comes after the first action (that's the action on the action dial or the left dial). The archers do not have a special action on their action dial nor do they have ranged attack on their modifier dial. The example given in the article is about setting up an attack for the next turn.

How do I know this? You can find it in the BOLS Unboxing video at timestamp 27:42. It's under rule 14 Bonus Actions. The actual wording is "After a unit performs its selected action, that units performs its selected bonus action." End of discussion. Yes, we could get a unit that gets a bonus action that's a ranged attack. Looking at you elves or uthuk.

Going on to the article, the wind rune looks to be stellar. It's potentially great on anything that can use it. Right now, the heroes and the Reanimates cannot use it.

I guess I'm torn on when it's a good upgrade. I just don't know if I would waste it on a skirmish unit. The Carrion Lancers get it at the 2x2 unit but I think I'd rather have more units of the lancers running around rather than one big unit. However, a 2x2 unit can potential be extremely dangerous because of all that movement flexibility. A large unit of cavalry can really get into a fantastic position with that upgrade. a 2x2 Cavalry unit is only 40 points with the upgrade.

The other upgrades only look so-so. I wouldn't waste the points on the heraldry. Tempered Steel gives an easy extra hit so it might win out compared to the Wind Rune but I just don't know if you can beat giving the archers that much mobility (a 2-shift then an extra rune-shift and a reform; silly stuff!) Combat Ingenuity looks to be better on the Lancers.

Muz333 and Taki like this

5 minutes ago, Kubernes said:

The bonus action comes after the first action (that's the action on the action dial or the left dial). The archers do not have a special action on their action dial nor do they have ranged attack on their modifier dial. The example given in the article is about setting up an attack for the next turn.

How do I know this? You can find it in the BOLS Unboxing video at timestamp 27:42. It's under rule 14 Bonus Actions. The actual wording is "After a unit performs its selected action, that units performs its selected bonus action." End of discussion.

I hate to be *that* guy and all, but we really shouldn't be using phrases like "end of discussion" when we don't have RRGs in our actual hands.

There are assumptions involved in your analysis that could be easily sidestepped by any number of rules you haven't yet read.

It certainly *seems* like you're spot on, and it would fit with previous FFG rule/article mixups, but let's try not to be too dismissive when we're talking about blurry timestamps from Youtube videos.

Hi folks! 

I was also initially a little confused by the presence of an action on the modifier wheel (in this case the "skill" action).  I've checked the rules and it's referred to as a "bonus action" but it still behaves like a modifier in that it is performed after the standard action.  

I think this still makes the Wind Rune upgrade pretty cool, as it lets you move and manoeuvre even after taking a standard move or shooting even, helping the archers keep out of melee for as long as possible :)

flightmaster101 and Muz333 like this

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

I hate to be *that* guy and all, but we really shouldn't be using phrases like "end of discussion" when we don't have RRGs in our actual hands.

There are assumptions involved in your analysis that could be easily sidestepped by any number of rules you haven't yet read.

It certainly *seems* like you're spot on, and it would fit with previous FFG rule/article mixups, but let's try not to be too dismissive when we're talking about blurry timestamps from Youtube videos.

Just use the highest HD option and it's easy to read. You can read most of the learn to play and the reference book.

I'm not trying to be dismissive to anyone, just saying the rule about the modifier action dispels, dismiss, resolve, or whatever synonym you want, the idea about the basic archers doing the special action then a ranged attack with just a wind rune. Magical stuff in the future could make it work but not at the moment.

Edited by Kubernes