wurms

X-Wing Haiku Thread

70 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Toni Wan Kenobe said:

Green blank faces,

Your opponent smiles,

trust no green dice.

Hope I got it right! :lol:

Neither 5-7-5 or the 3-5-3 version, heh.

But what this thread has shown is that a surprisingly high number of people don't know how to count syllables.  Maybe this is something that was dropped from basic education?  I'd be interested if it's a generational difference.

Just now, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Neither 5-7-5 or the 3-5-3 version, heh.

But what this thread has shown is that a surprisingly high number of people don't know how to count syllables.  Maybe this is something that was dropped from basic education?  I'd be interested if it's a generational difference.

Sorry, english is not my native tongue. Should have studied harder, then. :P

Posted (edited)

So to count syllables, you just figure out the number of vowel sounds you're pronouncing. Each vowel sound is one syllable.

For example, in the phrase 'let's count syllables,' we have five syllables: 'let's' (e), 'count' (ou), 'syl' (y), 'lab' (a), and 'les' (e, or more an 'ul' sound).

Toni, to take your example (no need to apologize, by the way! Out of curiosity, what was your first language?), we have:

Green blank faces (four syllables, green, blank, fa, ces).

Your opponent smiles (five syllables, your, op, pon, ent, smiles, since of course we don't pronounce the last e)

Trust no green dice (four syllables, trust, no, green, dice).

An English haiku wants five syllables in the first line, seven in the second, and five in the third, or I guess 3-5-3 as well.

Edited by TheHumanHydra
DarthCognis likes this

1 minute ago, TheHumanHydra said:

So to count syllables, you just figure out the number of vowel sounds you're pronouncing. Each vowel sound is one syllable.

For example, in the phrase 'let's count syllables,' we have five syllables: 'let's' (e), 'count' (ou), 'syl' (y), 'lab' (a), and 'les' (e, or more an 'ul' sound).

Toni, to take your example (no need to apologize, by the way! Out of curiosity, what was your first language?), we have:

Green blank faces (four syllables, green, blank, fa, ces, perfect).

Your opponent smiles (five syllables, your, op, pon, ent, smiles, since of course we don't pronounce the last e)

Trust no green dice (four syllables, trust, no, green, dice, perfect).

Castilian spanish. Learned english as a second language, and I'll never be grateful enough I did. I've enjoyed countless RPG manuals (D&D first edition, alongside Expert, Companion, Master...), tv series and movies, comics, forums... I encourage learning a second, an even a third language if you can. Opens so many windows to knowledge... And fun!

BlodVargarna likes this

6 hours ago, Toni Wan Kenobe said:

Castilian spanish. Learned english as a second language, and I'll never be grateful enough I did. I've enjoyed countless RPG manuals (D&D first edition, alongside Expert, Companion, Master...), tv series and movies, comics, forums... I encourage learning a second, an even a third language if you can. Opens so many windows to knowledge... And fun!

That's cool. Yeah, I enjoy languages. I have some French, living in Canada.

Just wanted to note I edited my post after you replied, as I too messed up the number of syllables in haiku lines. Lol.

Toni Wan Kenobe likes this

Roll red dice again

nothing ever shows on them

but this, blank blank blank

soontir met his match

he thought it was a ship not

Mandalorian

Posted (edited)

Mustafar rain 
Intensity! Focus you will
on duality

Edited by Zatoichi77

37 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Are you serious? / IG-2000 on TIE? / No, moron, you can't.

I'm not serious,

But the rules are really weird.

I do what I want!

nitrobenz likes this