Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JJFDVORAK

[CCL] All systems will bow to the First Order

56 posts in this topic

This is my first attempt to make any custom cards for this game.  I have been playing a lot of games with my Upsilon shuttle recently

so I decided to do the only small ship left for the First Order from The Force Awakens.  It is the Atmospheric Assault Lander

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Atmospheric_Assault_Lander

The Atmospheric Assault Lander(AAL) was used by the First Order to carry troops into battle as seen in TFA.  In X wing, we do not (yet) have any ground 

forces,so I had to figure out what roll a lander could play in a dog fighting game.  My first thought was since the AAL has a turret for landing zone cover fire, 

I could make the first Imperial ship with the turret option.  Well since I started working on this, FFG announced the Aggressor and it will be the first 

official Imperial turret ship.  Oh, well.  I sort of modelled this ship as an Imperial version of a Y wing or Hwk 290 and kind of based it on of them.  I am not

really sure how to price custom cards, so I just went with what felt right.  I can change them if needed.  With out further adieu, the Atmospheric Assault Lander.

Pilot Cards:

I went with 4 Pilots - 2 generic and 2 unique

Captain-Phasma-Front-Face.jpg

FN-2199-Front-Face.jpg

Transport-Pilot-Front-Face.jpg

Veteran-Tie-Pilot-Front-Face.jpg

Posted (edited)

For the dial I wanted something to represent that the Atmospheric Assault Lander is basically like an arrow full of troops shot at a target.  It doesn't really turn well, but it is fast.  That is also the reason that I gave it boost.

Atmospheric-Assault-Lander-Front-Face-2.jpg

For the base tile, I gave the ship a front and rear arc even though it has no primary attack.  Why will become apparent in the next entry.

Edited by JJFDVORAK
Darth Tam likes this

Posted (edited)

Base Tile

Transport-Pilot-Marker.jpg

Title 

Here is were the ship really comes together.  Originally I was going with the idea that the First Order was going to be getting some stuff from Epic brought into Standard play, like the upsilon shuttle and the coordinate action.  I felt the AAL would be a good place for the Team icon to get into Standard play.  The  title, Landing Zone Cover Fire is pretty self explanatory.  It adds a turret and team icon.

Landing-Zone-Cover-Fire-Front-Face.jpg

I did not want to just slap a turret icon on the card and call it a day.  That felt sloppy and did not fit the lore.  And since the AAL only had a 240 degree line of fire, I wanted to limit the turret anyway.  I think this title does this pretty good.  Also it is a Lander, it needs to land troops, hence the Team icon and its required inclusion.   

New Turret 

F-Z0-Antipersonnel-Blaster-Cannon-Turret

I wanted to represent that a antipersonnel weapon  wouldn't do much more than scare a pilot. Therefore, no damage, but potential for stress.

New Team

Boarding-Party-Front-Face_1.jpg

This team works very good when combined with the F-Z0 turret and is very thematic. Effectively it is a Mine that only works under a very strict set of circumstances and only against certain ships. But I like it alot and think it will be very fun to use and a good deterrent to where an opponent moves.

New Crew

Captain Phasma

Captain-Phasma-Front-Face_1.jpg

She works on her own as a stress dealer, but was designed to aid a Boarding Party do more damage.

Expanded Crew Compartment

Expanded-Crew-Compartment-Front-Face.jpg

So this crew card basically trades a crew for a team. It's limited, do no 3 teams on a Decimator. It would allow a super boarding party on an AAL, but I don't see that as a problem because that's kinda their thing. And of course you loose Phasma.

Modification

The AAL was very maneuverable and used all kinds of tricks to get everything it could out of its chassis. It had extra deflector shields and maneuvering vanes to help it get it's payload of troops into battle. The AAL only mod, Electromagnetic Thrust Vectoring Fins, due just that.

Electromagnetic-Thrust-Vectoring-Fins-Fr

Again I wanted to bring Epic ideas to standard play with the inclusion of an Energy mechanic. You can use the energy you gain to effectively "fish tail" after your maneuver or to regain a list shield token. This is also my take on Imperial regen

Edited by JJFDVORAK

Posted (edited)

So that is pretty much it. I made a Captain Phasma crew as well, but the card disappeared and I'm not remaking it right now. Tell me what you think of my cards. Constructive criticism is much appreciated. 

Edited by JJFDVORAK

Posted (edited)

I know the CCL is for an online Vassal tournament, but I still like the real models. This AAL is from the Black Titanium series and is technically a hair to big(it's like 225 scale) but I think it looks good next to my Tie/FOs.

IMG_20170320_014556926.jpg

Edited by JJFDVORAK

1 minute ago, sf1raptor said:

Um... I'm guessing that there's a mod or something that gives it an attack.

yeah I am trying to get all the cards loaded but now it is telling me that I have reached the limit for files.  I am going to have to post online somewhere else and link to my cards.  Hold please.

No 1 firepower? I mean it's one firepower no one will care.:P

Well cool idea. I would like to see that and the Resistance troop transport in X-wing. However since a lot of Epic stuff is coming in why not include an energy system. Actually how that is added into standard X-wing should be in another thread.

50 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

No 1 firepower? I mean it's one firepower no one will care.:P

Well cool idea. I would like to see that and the Resistance troop transport in X-wing. However since a lot of Epic stuff is coming in why not include an energy system. Actually how that is added into standard X-wing should be in another thread.

You didn't let me finish posting it all!:D See Modification above.

@JJFDVORAK you're fearless and inventive!  Some really cool ideas.  I like the idea of a team upgrade from Epic.  But touching a huge ship to use boarding party... since huge ships move last if it touches doesn't the lander get destroyed?

JJFDVORAK likes this

2 hours ago, Sasajak said:

@JJFDVORAK you're fearless and inventive!  Some really cool ideas.  I like the idea of a team upgrade from Epic.  But touching a huge ship to use boarding party... since huge ships move last if it touches doesn't the lander get destroyed?

You know what, you're right. I was thinking the huge ships move first, but they do move last. So as currently written, Boarding Party will not work against Huge ships. In addition, huge ships can't be stressed, so the Boarding Party will never get the extra damage, but that was intentional.(huge ships are more likely to have more people on board to fight back) I'll have to work on this and figure out something slightly different. I actually really like the mechanic for large ships though. Hmm.<_<

Sasajak likes this

3 hours ago, JJFDVORAK said:

You know what, you're right. I was thinking the huge ships move first, but they do move last. So as currently written, Boarding Party will not work against Huge ships. In addition, huge ships can't be stressed, so the Boarding Party will never get the extra damage, but that was intentional.(huge ships are more likely to have more people on board to fight back) I'll have to work on this and figure out something slightly different. I actually really like the mechanic for large ships though. Hmm.<_<

It could be complicated but what if you somehow brought a mechanic similar to the Armada rule for squadrons - where if a ship overlaps a squadron you get to place it anywhere that is touching the base of the ship that overlapped.

Or, perhaps easier, what if it works at range 1?

JJFDVORAK likes this

6 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

The real trouble I see with Boarding Party is that you're likely to face lists without any large ships a lot at which point it's a completely wasted slot and points.

Well I originally thought of the boarding party idea during the height of the Palpshuttle, Dengaroo and later Paratanni days when you were likely to face a large ship and in Dengaroo's case a stressed large ship. It would have been perfect! But I do agree that it is not an efficient use of points since you might never be able to use them. I know that is not optimal, but I really don't think you should be able to board a small ship. And even post FAQ, there are still several large ships that will see play. Post nerf Manaroo, post nerf Palpshuttle, Bossk, Asaaj, Ups shuttle, Rey, Dash, etc will still see play so a Boarding Party will not be totally useless. Especially if paired with the F-Z0.(or other stresser) Those stress really add up to damage. Imagine a boarded Dengaroo's in an old Dengaroo list? He would have been dead, no questions asked. I know there will not be as many super stressed ships with the Zuckass nerf, but still. 

Posted (edited)

Could make Boarding Party only affect ships with a crew or team slot instead of large.

That way, it avoids the "How the hell did you board my xwing?!?" comments, but isnt neutered by all small ship lists.

The tugboat's issue is the opposite: if it faces a large ship it doesnt do much. That reason alone is why its not particularly awesome since its a LOT of matchup luck.

Edited by Vineheart01
Addie and JJFDVORAK like this

26 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Could make Boarding Party only affect ships with a crew or team slot instead of large.

That way, it avoids the "How the hell did you board my xwing?!?" comments, but isnt neutered by all small ship lists.

The tugboat's issue is the opposite: if it faces a large ship it doesnt do much. That reason alone is why its not particularly awesome since its a LOT of matchup luck.

This idea is golden! I was racking my brain to figure out a work around that would still be thematic and this really does it. Thanks for that! I'll update the card when I get a chance.

4 hours ago, Sasajak said:

It could be complicated but what if you somehow brought a mechanic similar to the Armada rule for squadrons - where if a ship overlaps a squadron you get to place it anywhere that is touching the base of the ship that overlapped.

Or, perhaps easier, what if it works at range 1?

When you first brought up the huge ship movement issue, I was thinking about somehow making the "boarding ship" just move to get out of the Huge ships way. That would work as long as the "boarding ship" gets "dragged" along by the huge ship, but that  a seems very hard to implement.  I wanted a fairly easy boarding situation, not a super complicated new mechanic, but it may have to come to that. I'll work that out and re post. And I don't really like the Range 1 idea because that is just too big. Maybe at Range 1 and in your primary arc? That limits it somewhat. That might work actually and would also be pretty thematic in the case of the AAL and the Tie shuttle. I really wish there was a Range 0.5, as I feel range 1 is just too much. Womp womp womp. The problem here is really with huge ship movement and the fact that they just obliterate any small or large ship in their path, but that's for another thread. 

Sasajak likes this

9 minutes ago, Sasajak said:

@JJFDVORAK maybe within range 1 would do the trick?

What is the real difference then? At Range 1 vs within Range 1? How would you differentiate between the two? How would you word it? 

2 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

What is the real difference then? At Range 1 vs within Range 1? How would you differentiate between the two? How would you word it? 

It's in the rules :)

At: A ship is at a specified range if the closest point of its base falls inside that range.
Within: A ship that is within a specified range if the entirety of its base falls inside that range.

JJFDVORAK likes this

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

"At Range 1" means some part of the ships has to be in the range 1 band, even if it's only by a millimeter.  "Within" range 1 means the ENTIRE ship has to be inside the range 1 band

Edit: Ninjad!  Also, the main thing I can think of in game that atually uses "within" is setup.  Has to be within range 1 of hte edge.

Edited by VanderLegion
Rhaivaen and JJFDVORAK like this

43 minutes ago, Sasajak said:

It's in the rules :)

At: A ship is at a specified range if the closest point of its base falls inside that range.
Within: A ship that is within a specified range if the entirety of its base falls inside that range.

How did I not know this!:D That is what I even thought you meant but didn't know it was already a rule. 

VanderLegion and Sasajak like this

So after everyone's input, I think I'll change Boarding Party to the following.

After performing an action, if you are within range 1 of an enemy ship with the crew or team upgrade icons, and that ship is inside your firing arc, you may discard this card to roll 3 attack dice and deal and hits or crits rolled. You may add an additional hit for each stress the enemy ship has. 

How does that sound? I was going to make it after executing a maneuver, like Menace said above, but I wanted the AAL to be able to boost to within range 1 if needed, or a Tie shuttle with Expanded crew compartment and Boarding Party to be able to barrel roll in.  Also I took away the no shield thing just because it seemed to specific now. Also what should the point cost be? Is 2 still good or would 1 be more appropriate now? I think I might change it to 1 just because it is so specific. What say you all?