GaminDamon

Organizing Your Ships, Cards & Tokens

10 posts in this topic

As I am collecting more ships (this game is addicting!) I am finding it difficult to organize all of my ships/cards/tokens. The Starter pack keeps the X-wing and Tie fighters in their own little protectors, and I keep those tokens and dials in that box. But now I have a B-Wing, Y-wing and a Millennium Falcon and all of their cards and tokens, I'm spending more time trying to keep everything organized in baggies and not losing or mixing up upgrade cards than playing the game!  

So, how do you organize all of your ships, cards and tokens?

  • Do you categorize upgrade cards? - I am keeping all the cards that came with each ship together, and it's become a pain in the butt keeping them organized. I'm also noticing that there is some overlap in cards and they can be used on ANY ship with a corresponding upgrade icon - whether or not it came with the expansion pack I bought.
  • Storing Ships - I've already needed to repair my B-wing, and I hadn't even played with it yet.
  • Tokens are all over the place - I have a ton of tokens, and have resigned to keeping them in a box, it works fine but I hate that its just a mash up tokens, any tips on storing all of these? Any tokens that I should keep separate for ease of use or importance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there are many threads in this forum on this topic (and all over the internet), with images. Short summary:

* The most popular solution for storing ships and tokens are Plano plastic boxes. Many people use foam storage trays (like BattleFoam, Feldherr etc)

* Storage solution for pilot and upgrade cards are plastic card sheets (9 slots sheets for pilot and 16 slot sheets for upgrades) in a binder.

 

Just type "x-wing storage" in google, you will get a lot of  hits.

Edited by Ubul
GaminDamon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Ubul said.

I've been playing since about six months after the game was released, and I have a fairly healthy collection. I use Plano storage trays for most of the ships, with one for the templates and tokens. I have a deeper tray that I use for the larger ships (Ghost, Shadow Caster, Lambdas, etc.). I have considered getting the BattleFoam or something similar, but I really haven't had any problems with the Plano trays that would justify the cost of the foam. For the cards, I use binders as Ubul described. Sorted alphabetically by type, of course.

I wasn't OCD before X-Wing, but it sure seems to bring it out in people.

Muz and GaminDamon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GaminDamon said:

As I am collecting more ships (this game is addicting!) I am finding it difficult to organize all of my ships/cards/tokens. The Starter pack keeps the X-wing and Tie fighters in their own little protectors, and I keep those tokens and dials in that box. But now I have a B-Wing, Y-wing and a Millennium Falcon and all of their cards and tokens, I'm spending more time trying to keep everything organized in baggies and not losing or mixing up upgrade cards than playing the game!  

So, how do you organize all of your ships, cards and tokens?

  • Do you categorize upgrade cards? - I am keeping all the cards that came with each ship together, and it's become a pain in the butt keeping them organized. I'm also noticing that there is some overlap in cards and they can be used on ANY ship with a corresponding upgrade icon - whether or not it came with the expansion pack I bought.
  • Storing Ships - I've already needed to repair my B-wing, and I hadn't even played with it yet.
  • Tokens are all over the place - I have a ton of tokens, and have resigned to keeping them in a box, it works fine but I hate that its just a mash up tokens, any tips on storing all of these? Any tokens that I should keep separate for ease of use or importance?

I organize my cards with 9 and 16 pocket card pages. Pilots are organized by faction, ship type, and ascending PS level. Upgrade cards are alphabetized per point cost. All this goes in a 3 ring binder. Most of my fighters go into cheap 20 compartment jewerly/bead containers I get from Hobby Lobby. I'm a wargamer by heart and use these for storing cardboard counters. But they also work well for most of the X-Wing fighters. I cut out 1/2" foam batting per compartment for the models so they don't bounce around in the container and break off some of the fragile model guns, wings, etc. I store the pilot bases and the dials with the ships in these same containers The larger small base ships that won't fit in these containers (K-Wing, StarViper, etc)  and large based go in larger plastic containers w/ foam batting. 

You're going to to end with way more of certain types of counters then you will ever need. Shield, TLs, Focus, Evade, ID ... you're never going to need all of them. I recommend storing the majority of duplicate counters away and put together a small play container of some of the commons tokens, unique tokens (e.g., Cloak, Sabine, EM, etc), your dice, ship pegs, small bomb tokens, etc. Anything you would think you'd need if you had to go somewhere to play.  I keep the larger mines/bombs with my asteroids in a plastic bag w/ my damage deck. Maneuvering templates too. Range rulers go in the inside pockets of my card binder so they don't get bent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gullwind said:

What Ubul said.

I've been playing since about six months after the game was released, and I have a fairly healthy collection. I use Plano storage trays for most of the ships, with one for the templates and tokens. I have a deeper tray that I use for the larger ships (Ghost, Shadow Caster, Lambdas, etc.). I have considered getting the BattleFoam or something similar, but I really haven't had any problems with the Plano trays that would justify the cost of the foam. For the cards, I use binders as Ubul described. Sorted alphabetically by type, of course.

I wasn't OCD before X-Wing, but it sure seems to bring it out in people.

While I appreciate the self-deprecating humor I'm going to take issue. Being organized or disciplined or just taking care of your stuff is not the same thing as being OCD. Being able to find what you need when you need it is not a sign of mental illness. Sloth is not a virtue.

I show up to game nights and there is always somebody who has to dig around looking for their stuff holding up the works. This is not to be applauded or encouraged with the idea that being organized is a mental illness. 

"When  you win twenty in the show you can let the fungus grow back on your shower shoes. The press will think you're colorful. Until you win twenty in the show, it means you're a slob." -- Crash Davis

CartoonRabbit, Sephlar and RevJJ like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Frimmel said:

While I appreciate the self-deprecating humor I'm going to take issue. Being organized or disciplined or just taking care of your stuff is not the same thing as being OCD. Being able to find what you need when you need it is not a sign of mental illness. Sloth is not a virtue.

I show up to game nights and there is always somebody who has to dig around looking for their stuff holding up the works. This is not to be applauded or encouraged with the idea that being organized is a mental illness. 

"When  you win twenty in the show you can let the fungus grow back on your shower shoes. The press will think you're colorful. Until you win twenty in the show, it means you're a slob." -- Crash Davis

Admonishment accepted.

Frimmel likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually in process of pulling all of my cards out of binders and putting them in card board boxes with separators. When I was using binders, stuff wouldn't make it back right away and every time I bought a bunch of new stuff I would hold off on putting it in the binders until I had enough time to move everything that got displaced by the new cards. This led to stacks of crap laying all over my desk waiting to get organized. With the boxes I can quickly file new cards and I have a small "need to file" box that everything goes in for when I'm in a hurry and am not going to get around to putting stuff back right away. The cards I use the most tend to live in the "need to file" box so that's always the first place I pull cards from.

I never lug all my crap to where I'm playing so I don't mind if my storage solution is a little bulkier. I pick out 2 or 3 squads I want to play before I leave home and only take the stuff I need.  I hate waiting for people to flip through their binders for cards and then dig through there tackle boxes looking for the right models and cardboard so  I do everything in my power to make sure I'm not guilty of doing it. 

 

Edited by WWHSD
CartoonRabbit likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gullwind said:

Admonishment accepted.

Mind that I don't think you were being intentionally insulting. You caught me in a contrary mood and I saw an opportunity to get something off my chest. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use this site to print off and make boxes to hold my stuff. http://sirwillibald.com/

I do use a probinder to hold pilot and reference cards but the upgrade cards fit in the Collector box and the ships fit neatly in their own microhanders.

I do have a sectioned craft box that holds my tokens and allows me to split my tokens into type and a larger one for Dials, rulers, Dice and asteroids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Frimmel said:

Mind that I don't think you were being intentionally insulting. You caught me in a contrary mood and I saw an opportunity to get something off my chest. :)

No worries. You are absolutely right.

Frimmel likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now