Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Merman

How would you quantify the "cost" of a dial?

10 posts in this topic

I want to create custom ships for Mario Kart, similar to Heroes of Aturi Cluster, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a good way to calculate the cost or value of a dial. I wanted to see if anyone has some ideas or formulas that would work. Thanks 

Its really tied to the frame. I think you should have a base craft in mind and then go from there. Like tie/ln to /fo or lambda to upslon or t65 to khiraxz and t70. Also keep in mind the TIE mk2 upgrade...

Mario cart?

It's hard to cost a dial in vacuum because there are so many factors to keep in mind. Take a T-70 for example:

T-70's have moderate Agility and moderate HP, totalling at 6. The T-70 dial works with its stats to enable: Hit and run's (Close distance for a shot, then a fast maneuver + boost away, followed by a repositioning tallon roll). Mid-range dogfights (Fire at midrange then get stuck-in using 1's and 2's). The dial then enables a lot of circumstantial maneuvers and tricks. Because the dial lacks a 1-hard the T70 wont win Arc-dominion in a close range duel with an opponent that has said maneuver, this issue is further accentuated by the T-70 not having a barrel-roll. 

The T-70 dial is, essentially, average. This coupled with the ship's 6 hitpoints (Average price: 21 points) and 3 attack (Roughly valued as 3-4 points?) the ship winds up at a pretty fair 24 points

Then there's the B-wing:

B-wings got pretty terrible dials, the only K-turn is a 2-k, the 1-hard is red and so are the 4-forward and 3 bank, a B-wing has a very narrow field of movement if it needs to avoid stress/is stessed, making it easy to predict. You can't do hit and run's however you can do short-range dogfights like a champion rocking the 2-k and 1-hard to turn around and stay at point-blank when you absolutely need to. Clever barrel rolling can fix the predictability issue. The main issue then is Inflexibility, while most ships can do one thing really good and other things "pretty well" (The E-wing can dogfight near-as effectively as the B-wing, but it also has the option of blasting out of the fight with a 5-straight or a 3-hard).

So the B-wing dial is the dogfighter's awkward second-best highschool love affair, which is ok because the vessel sports an insane 8 hitpoints (effective value: 29 points) with 1 agility tacked on just for show. So the B-wing then ends up being this clunky gunship that likes to fumble into combat and trade shots as best-it can without any hope at all of catching up to an opponent who manages to outplay it, a fair downside for a ship with a hitpoint value so far beyond it's printed cost.

So there's an example breakdown. A good guideline to designing a dial seems to be: How flexible is it? What maneuvers is the ship going to predominantly execute? How committed to a particular speed is it? Especially important factors are these maneuver's and their colour: 1 and 3-speed hard turns. 5 Straight's. If it does not have a 4-k, what K-turns does it have? If it has a 4-k, does it have any additional K-turns, s-loops or t-rolls? Does it have any K-turns/S-loops/T-rolls whose speed is lesser or greater than 3-4?

Right now the baseline for a ship that has moderate engines and fair flexibility seems to have every straight and bank from 1-3 white, a 4-straight white and a 2-hard white, then depending on weight the ship is going to have a white or red 3-hard or to be missing it entirely. Only the very lightest or most agile ships (remember, in space, Big can be just as agile as Small) have white 1-hard's, gunships tend to have red 1-hard's. Saucers tend to have very full dials with many turns. Transports usually have difficulty turning around.

UnitOmega likes this

I've created a spreadsheet for my personal use that attempts to assign a value to each dial.  I tried a few different point values, but the system I settled on was: 9 points for each red maneuver, 10 points for each white maneuver, and 11 points for each green maneuver.  My reasoning was that a red maneuver was slightly worse than a white maneuver, but not so much worse as to inconvenience an experienced player.  The 1-3-5  point system I tried didn't create enough separation between the various ship dials to properly evaluate, and the 5-10-15 point system created too much variance.

For the Imperials, the Special Forces TIE has the best dial and the Lambda shuttle has the worst dial.  Although, Countess Ryad's ability gives her the best dial in the game, especially if she's using TIE Mk. II.  Juno Eclipse is a close second.

For the Rebels, the E-Wing and YT-2400 are tied, but Kanan Jarrus crew gives the YT an advantage.  Ello Asty's ability with R2 Astromech is better than any of the E-Wings equipped the same way.  The K-Wing has the worst dial in the game, but SLAM helps.

The best Scum ship is the Jumpmaster, with the worst being the HWK-290.

There really isn't anything too surprising in what I've found, but I'm always open to ways to improve my system.  

Cpt Hellcat likes this

I have a dial rating system that I am going to post soon.  Maybe I can get to it tomorrow.  Similar to the system described above, I assigned a value for each maneuver, with the standard TIE fighter dial given a rating of 100.  I don't have it on hand now so I don't have the values I settled on for each color maneuver - I also tried a few different point values.  I counted any maneuver that turns a ship around (180 turn) as double the normal value.  I think it correlates pretty well with which dials are considered good, OK and sucky.  Stay tuned...

Well in THIS post I came up with the bare bones basic dial to start out all ships.

This was the starting dial to build from.

• 2 Straight Green
  • 2 L&R Bank White
  • 2 L&R Turn Red
  • 3 Straight White
  • 3 L&R Bank Red

That is the most basic of dials you have there. All other ships have these maneuvers or in a lower difficulty (red to white, white to green).

OK here is my dial rating system.  This only factors in DIALS, but some common upgrades are included.  It does not account for actions that affect movement (barrel roll, SLAM, cloak, etc.), and it does not account for small vs. large bases.  Maneuvers were costed as follows:

Green = 7, White = 6, Red = 3; any maneuver that changes facing 180 degrees costs double (K-turn, S-Loop, T-Roll).  So a red 180 move costs the same as a white.  The baseline ship is the TIE fighter rated at 100, so all other ratings are relative to the TIE.  The values in each column are the total number of that color maneuver for each ship.  More maneuvers corresponds to a higher rating.

Imperial%20Dials.png

DragoonKainKatarn likes this

7 hours ago, Cpt Hellcat said:

OK here is my dial rating system.  This only factors in DIALS, but some common upgrades are included.  It does not account for actions that affect movement (barrel roll, SLAM, cloak, etc.), and it does not account for small vs. large bases.  Maneuvers were costed as follows:

Green = 7, White = 6, Red = 3; any maneuver that changes facing 180 degrees costs double (K-turn, S-Loop, T-Roll).  So a red 180 move costs the same as a white.  The baseline ship is the TIE fighter rated at 100, so all other ratings are relative to the TIE.  The values in each column are the total number of that color maneuver for each ship.  More maneuvers corresponds to a higher rating.

Imperial%20Dials.png

It is a good step but not enough. A 3 green straight  is not the same value as a 2 green bank. Now which one is more valuable is a good question, but it is a step in the right direction. As I say the starting point for all maneuvers is the 2 straight green, so start there and every maneuver that moves further away from 2 straight should have a higher value. And the difficulty should be a multiplier of the value.