sf1raptor

Why don't we see much talk about Ello.

31 posts in this topic

Ello never gets talked about because he's in a T70, which is a bad ship that only Poe's amazing ability can sort of make work (and even Poe is not in the recent meta).

Look at how much people complain about the Special Forces TIE Fighter being not very good, yet on paper it's a vastly superior T70: Three points cheaper, same stat-line, better dial, better pilot abilities, arguably better upgrade slots, and it has a rear-*******-arc and can shoot twice a turn in the right circumstances.  And yet, you'll still find people who say the T70 is great and the SF needs help, which just shows how poorly they really understand this game, since the SF is literally superior T70 for less points.

19 hours ago, NakedDex said:

VI Snap with BB8 is the most fun you can have flying a T70, guaranteed. Even without BB8, he feels how Ello really should. The most fun I've had with Ello was with R7T1 and PTL on board; white T-roll into boost, focus, and target lock is ridiculous.

I'm not totally convinced by this one. The problem is the T-70's distribution of greens - the only speed 2+ green maneuvers are the 2- and 3-straight. This means you can't do a turn and still make use of both BB-8 and Snap's pilot ability.

This gives you the choice of:

- Barrel roll into a 1-bank, but no free boost

or

- Barrel roll into a 2- or 3-straight, and get a free boost

or

- Any other 2+ speed maneuver with a free boost, but no barrel roll

They're all great option - but apart from the first, they're anti-synergistic.

I much prefer a basic R2 on Snap - that allows him to clear stress in any direction after a K-turn or T-roll, and still get his free boost. Without R2 you have to either keep the stress, or do a highly predictable 2- or 3-forward to clear stress and get another action.

Parakitor likes this

You're right about the synergy not being very apparent. 

However dialing in 2-3 straight lets you to BB-Roll before the maneuver, and then boost. Plus you get BB on low speed moves, to clear obstacles and blocks. So whatever speed you're moving, you get at least one free repositioning actiob, which is crucial to make the most out of Black One. But that's my style with Snap, Poe and Pava triple T-70 semi-formation flying, so my opinion would be biased by that. 

Note that with Primed Thrusters, you get to Boost off TRoll and then BB-8 on subsequent turn even before the stress is cleared.

NakedDex and Myth Child like this

^ This.

It's not so much about being able to do both in a single turn (though that can be great), but that you pretty much always have at least one free repositioning action. With Primed Thrusters, you'll even get that after a t-roll or k-turn. With PA, you'll be able to t-roll into a boost and focus, then next turn you can BB8 into a green maneuver to shed the stress, and do it all again.

Like I said though, he's super fun. It's not the most competitive T70 build, but **** if it isn't fun.