sf1raptor

Why don't we see much talk about Ello.

31 posts in this topic

Just got a T-70 (broke college kid, so I can't buy much) and noticed that Ello has an awesome pilot ability, yet you never really see him talked about. Any reason why, or are folks just married to using Poe?

Many x wings have awesome abilities, but are really squishy. That's why you don't see wedge anymore for example. Poe is exceptional, as he combines tankiness and regen to truly use this ship to maximum potential.

Ello is... fun, but he's not actually all that great. His ability is kind of situational. Unlike the white K-turns on the Defenders, the T-roll doesn't travel as far in a straight line to be as useful, and that offset can make using it to chase an arc dodger a bit rougher.

His biggest problem is the frame he's on. The T70 just isn't all that strong either, unfortunately, and if you are going to take it, you're invariably going to take it with Poe (or to a lesser extent, Jess). It's just a stronger choice without any real drawbacks.

That said, I've run Ello a few times and he's good fun. If you pick up HotR, you'll find Snap Wexley to be similarly great fun, and arguably more useful again. Neither will see a top tier game for a long while, but that shouldn't stop you having a blast with them.

nitrobenz likes this

Ello's ability just isn't all that hot.  Even if it were 'treat your t rolls as white' full stop it wouldn't be all that hot.  T70s don't really need added manoeuvrability they need added punch or added tank.  Nien is good for punch, Jess if good for punch AND tank, ditto Poe.  Snap and Ello just fall a bit between two stools - and Red and Blue Aces are just a little too low PS and/or lacking in EPTs.

Ello's big problem is the price. He costs 1 pt less than PS8 Poe. So for 1 pt you get higher PS and an ability that is far greater and "on" every round. And now with pattern analyzer, any T-70 can talon roll and get an action, so unless you plan on talon rolling two turns in a row, I dont see a huge reason to take Ello. Snap Wexley is a couple points cheaper, and a more useful ability as well that can be "on" practically every round.

That said, I don't think people have given him a proper look since Wave 10. Expertise seems like nice fit for him and his ability. He might just be waiting for a droid to gel with his ability.

Parakitor and Evenflow30 like this

Posted (edited)

Ello is overcosted even by T-70 standards. Nien is the same PS with an equally good ability and is cheaper. Once the fabled X-wing fix comes in a lot of these pilots might make a comeback though.

Edited by MenaceNsobriety
Ninja'ed by wurms
Parakitor and Kdubb like this

Nien's ability is way better than Ello's.  I mean, it usually lets him do the same thing as Ello when he t-rolls, but he ALSO gets to shed stress from any other source too.

Dengar5 likes this

So what it boils down to is that X-wings need some help, and there are better pilots for the T-70 that are either cheaper or don't cost much more. Ok.

Posted (edited)

Ello can also face a challenge when it comes to outfitting him.

His ability to white T-Roll is excellent, especially combined with a boost. However, to make maximum use of it, he really wants to be high PS, which indicates the use of VI.

However, he also lacks action efficiency to mod dice on offence and defence.  Predator or Expertise would fill this gap nicely, giving him actionless attack mods and a focus for defence - but then he's PS7 and liable to be outmaneuvered by the true aces.

In a way he's in the same boat as Blue Ace - a great ability, but not high enough PS to really make use of it to maximum effect, especially given the lack of protection X-wings have these days.

Edited by Hedgehogmech

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Ello's ability just isn't all that hot.  Even if it were 'treat your t rolls as white' full stop it wouldn't be all that hot.  T70s don't really need added manoeuvrability they need added punch or added tank.  Nien is good for punch, Jess if good for punch AND tank, ditto Poe.  Snap and Ello just fall a bit between two stools - and Red and Blue Aces are just a little too low PS and/or lacking in EPTs.

Snap can be honestly decent as a flanker. I've run him in a list with Norra and Jess (with Jess glued to Norra for both punch and assist) to surprising effect. It was a list I came up with just to use those two T70s when they launched, and it actually more than held its own. Snap becomes a kind of hit-and-fade ship, while the heavy lifting in damage comes from Norra and Jess.

If we want to talk about underrated T70 pilots, I think Jess is the primary candidate. That ability is glorious, and the price is right on the money for the frame.

Punning Pundit likes this

Not everyone in the squad has to be PS9+.  Someone who has decent maneuverability at mid ps can obviously outflank low ps generics and also block (blocking!  Don't forget about it!) the enemy aces for setting up big attacks.

at least in practice.  Takes more skill than what I've got.

Scopes likes this

T-70s are just so many points to get onto the table. They're good, but not Defender good which is your main competition in terms of points per ship.

Nunb is similar to Asty but different. Nunb is an all out kill it with fire ship, Ello is a slippery dodgy ship. Of the two I'd say Nunb was better but only because he suits my play style.

I ike Ello; I had fun and won two small tournaments running him with Poe and either another T-70 or Jake Farrell.  But since he costs so much I tended to want to put R2D2 on to protect him, and he cost even more (plus green and white don't mix well).

He's PS7 and his ability enhances maneuvering.

Any pilot whose ability is about maneuvering and whose PS is less than 8 (less than 9 really) is going to get aggravatingly little bang for the buck spent on his pilot ability. Pilots at this PS rank usually need some pilot/ship in-built dice benefits (Like Vessery's free target locks or Zuckus's extra die), because Asty isn't capable of outflying other Ace's, despite that being what his ability is good for, that makes Asty an unusually ineffective pilot despite his great pilot ability. The cool thing about Asty is that he is great against some meta-centric stuff these last few months (X7's) but against other meta-centric stuff he's terrible (Pal-Aces).

Also, stress generators exist and that makes Asty sad. 

2 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

Not everyone in the squad has to be PS9+.  Someone who has decent maneuverability at mid ps can obviously outflank low ps generics and also block (blocking!  Don't forget about it!) the enemy aces for setting up big attacks.

at least in practice.  Takes more skill than what I've got.

Ideally, pilot abilities that make good use of manuver would all be on pilots with a maximum PS of 6. That way we'd start seeing a lot of good mid PS ships that could compete knowing that they wouldn't be guaranteed to be beaten at their own game. Alas...

IDK I feel like Ep 8 will have an X-wing fix that aside, if your playing for funniess there is Zero reason it should not hit the table. For people that are into Newness there is just too much goodness out there to compete with. 

So Ello is 30 points vs Andor for 27 points its really hard for me to say an X-wing over a U-wing, or a Lothel Rebel is 35 points for so much more junk in the trunk, it makes the T-70 a bit pointless.

Also Food for thought, I think Nien Nunb with Experimental Interface is much better but again vs just taken a Lothel Rebel with 10 more damage it can soak up. 

VI Snap with BB8 is the most fun you can have flying a T70, guaranteed. Even without BB8, he feels how Ello really should. The most fun I've had with Ello was with R7T1 and PTL on board; white T-roll into boost, focus, and target lock is ridiculous.

Posted (edited)

Ello is like Ethan Abnet, or Arvel Crynyd,or Zentrik Storm. Their pilot ability doesn't match up and their pilot skill is not in an effective place. Sure it is a good ability but what does it match with and at skill 7? Sure Whisper was skill 7 but that was when decloak was the ultimate maneuver correction mechanic there was so put VI on it and Whisper's ability allows for extra focus token and you couldn't hit it. Ello is not in the same category as Whisper.

Edited by Marinealver

8 hours ago, NakedDex said:

If we want to talk about underrated T70 pilots, I think Jess is the primary candidate. That ability is glorious, and the price is right on the money for the frame.

Really? In my circle, Jess is regarded as perhaps the second best T-70 pilot. Poe just barely beats her out, but they're not competing for the same role in a squad, so I just take both. Snap is my third T-70.

I agree with others that Ello is just a wee bit expensive. The Heroes of the Resistance pilots are more aggressively priced.

But the real reason nobody flies him is because he's dead. :o

Unless I take out Jess myself, she's never seen. Now, in fairness, I rarely see T70s locally, and even then it's literally always Poe. She always surprises people when I use her, and people generally walk away with a lot of respect for her, but they still don't break her out.

I think it's just the frame that's the problem. People either see the T70 as too pricey to be worth taking, or they find other uses for the squad points. Personally, I adore Jess and Snap. I love taking those two to the table. It's always an absolute hoot.

18 hours ago, NakedDex said:

VI Snap with BB8 is the most fun you can have flying a T70, guaranteed. 

Add Primed Thrusters and Black One, and you can potentially strip 2 TLs per round. And you can pull those shenanigans even while stressed to begin with. For just 3 points over naked Asty, that gets no innate action economy. 

Kinda sums up why Asty doesn't see the table. 

Parakitor likes this

Personally I have not tried Ello, but that is partially because I find Snap and Nien Numb to be so amazing.
I prefer Predator and BB-8 on Snap,
For Nien Numb, snap shot r3-12 is where its at.  At least twice I have won the game simply by snapshotting and stressing a enemy ship right in front of Nien.  Then blown it to smithereens.