Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darth Meanie

Mandalorian Subfaction

32 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Slugrage said:

They have one already. It's called Scum & Villainy. Check it out. It's pretty awesome.

Yep!

This is the symbol of the Mandalorians: 

Krybes.png

If anything, the Scum subfaction should be Black Sun, for instance.

adesivo-starwars-black-sun-alianca.jpg

Phoenix5454 likes this

On 3/19/2017 at 10:29 AM, Darth Meanie said:

*sigh*

For a bunch of people who play an imaginary game in an imaginary universe with imaginary ships, a lot of people on these boards have no imagination.

No wonder we are stuck with a stagnant, math-based meta.

And I am not just picking on you Crabbok (so I apologize in advance); but Hexdot's cool idea about making E-Wings rock by giving them Range 4 has also been shot down by a lot of lame "practicality" excuses over how to package the range ruler.

This game could be so much better if people would think outside of the blister pack.

or we simply aren't sold on the idea of subfactions for the sake of it?

I have gone back and re-read what you posted to make sure i'm not missing anything and candidly, could the malaise you have posted about in other threads be inhibiting your thinking?

1 hour ago, Bojanglez said:

or we simply aren't sold on the idea of subfactions for the sake of it?

I have gone back and re-read what you posted to make sure i'm not missing anything and candidly, could the malaise you have posted about in other threads be inhibiting your thinking?

More than likely, it is the other way around.  The seemingly inhibited thinking about creative development is creating my malaise.  And by creative, I don't mean "what mechanic can we add to a ship from Epic that will seem new."

I'd like to see this game become more than 3-4 ships vs. 3-4 ships.  I'd like to see Mandalorian fleets, Rebel and Imperial Squadrons, and the Hutt Cartel be elements within the game that actually mean something.  Sure, as was suggested above, I can slap out a Fang, a Firespray, and maybe even toss in a Scyk and say "it's by MandalMotors" so yeehaw I'm flying the Mando'a.

But if factions are supposed to have their own flavor, then why can't subfactions have an even more subtle flavor?  So, no it wouldn't be just for the sake of it.  It would be to add some breadth and depth to a game that is increasingly becoming a growing collection of ships chosen for mechanics to tweak the meta than a game about playing in the Star Wars universe.

And even if it were just for the sake of it, at least those that want some flavor in their game could have it without it necessarily being at the expense of those who just want the best ships at tournaments.

12 hours ago, Odanan said:

This is the symbol of the Mandalorians: 

Krybes.png

Arbitrarily chosen, to be certain.

Mandalorians are not necessarily Scummy or Villainous.

So, technically, the whole MERCENARY FACTION has been mislabeled from the get-go.

Black Sun - low cost, low PS, no special abilities.

Mandalorian - high cost, high PS, special abilities.

Looks about right for S&V , is already reflected in the generics and named pilots.

Then there's the middle of range Cartel or local militia pilots like Tansarii Vets , Gand Findsmen, who are trained militia now plying their skills on the merc network.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

Arbitrarily chosen, to be certain.

Mandalorians are not necessarily Scummy or Villainous.

So, technically, the whole MERCENARY FACTION has been mislabeled from the get-go.

Yes, arbitrary chosen for sure.

The S&V have the symbol of Mandalorians, which are not all scummy, and most of Scums in the game are not Mandalorians.

But what is done is done.

On 3/19/2017 at 4:19 PM, Phoenix5454 said:

Adding a sub-faction to Scum seems unnecessary. The reason the Imperials have one is because The First Order rose out of the ashes of the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance has one sub-faction because the Resistance is just the continuation of the Rebel Alliance but during the age of the New Republic. Sticking Mandalorians in as a sub-faction under Scum, especially with the Protectorate Star-Fighter in the game already doesn't really serve a purpose, it kind of goes without saying that the Scum & Villainy faction is made up of ships from the Mandalorians, Black Sun Crime Syndicate, The Hutt Cartel, Bounty Hunters Guild etc. etc. if sub-factions added some kind of playable advantage by using ships from the same sub-faction together then yes I would be all for making even more sub-factions across all three main factions. But as it it stands in X-Wing Miniatures First Order ships and Resistance Ships are only considered sub-faction because the names of the organizations have changed as time has passed but the affiliations are the same.

I like the idea of a Smugglers and Spies subfaction for scum similar to what the light side gets in the lcg. Could have NMLS do, Han and dash (if they ever cross over from rebel, after the Han movie perhaps), talon karrde, etc.  more of the fringe elements that are less scummy than the bounty hunters, black sun and the hutts, but not rebel or imperial

Odanan and Darth Meanie like this