IG88E

Back pain during/after tournaments - tips?

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I don't know if someone else also suffer back pain during/after tournaments. Most of the time I am standing and looking down because you are tensed and forgetting to sit or move or whatever. Sometimes it also ends up in some headache.

Does someone have some tips to avoid or at least attenuate that. Maybe some relaxing exercises/stretches during or in between games? Going for walk between games (even when just for 5 minutes)? Drinking more water?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: GREAT Thanks to all the answers! This is by far an awesome community!!

Edited by IG88E
Blail Blerg likes this

Stand up straight, sit up straight, try to keep your dials up at eye height whilst setting them, and occasionally clench your shoulders like you're trying to get them to meet up behind you - I've had that issue a lot and the physio suggested that weakness in the shoulder muscles was a contributing factor.

Definitely stretch. Move around. Loosen up. It's just a game. Promise. Sounds like you are carrying tension in your shoulders. Bad news man. Roll your shoulders. Move organically. (No neck popping or wrenching.) And breathe through the rounds. 

Trust me on this. If you are young you are setting yourself up for trouble down the road. I'm old and have major neck trouble thanks to a drunk and a car. The last thing you want to do is volunteer for trouble. 

IG88E likes this

Additionally, see a sports physio or a chiropractor and ask them to analyse/assess your normal posture when standing 'straight'. I no longer get back pain after following their advice, although my knees ache a bit by the end of a day! And I sometimes end up with a headache from dehydration.

IG88E likes this

There is a very low THC varient of kush. It called "Stephen Hawking" any decent marijuana farm should have it by now. It's low THC but high cannabinoid oil so....Basically it sooths while keeping you from being all messed up.

If it's a particularly long and grueling event you can pair it with either a stronger sativa strain or whichever bourbon you prefer.

spacelion and IG88E like this

I have a terrible back because of what I do for work - so I feel ya.  Comfy shoes with extra support (I wear my running shoes), and I carry a cushioned mat that I got at BB&B to stand on during matches.  Definitely helps.

IG88E likes this

I'm always making a conscious effort to sit if not necessary.  I do like to see the mat from top down view.  Another thing to note is  just because you can reach something doesn't mean you should.  overextending to  move pieces on your teamates half of map puts more strain on your back and if you have problems already that'll just exacerbate them.   Of course drink water and chiropactor vist before major tourney helps.  I've even used the electrode pad things.  You can buy a $25 pure pulse muscle stimulator from amazon.  It works pretty well for me.

IG88E likes this

Train yourself to stand differently half of the time. I found that my right leg was getting sore, because I was always putting my right foot forward. So, I try and put the left forward from time to time. Try and mimic what you will be doing at tourneys, at your home or league (like standing the whole time, drinking water, eating or not eating certain foods). By tipping the water bottle up during my opponents move straightens my stance, even if it is for 2 seconds.  Figure out things that work of don’t work before the big event.  Shoes are a big factor to figure out, are they broke in and will “go the distance”, by standing in one place 75 minutes at a time?

IG88E likes this

There's a product I use that I think is wonderful! It's called a Cherry Pit Pac. It's a cloth sack filled with cherry pits. Pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes and it provides moist heat for 20+ minutes. Great for after the day is over. They come in different material and some are pocketed to keep the pits from sinking to one end. There's one for the neck and shoulders that's like a horse collar. That one is fantastic!

Also the ThermaCare heat wraps for the back, neck or shoulders. These function like the hand warmers used by hunters and hikers. The one for the back is good for about 8 hours of heat. Can't beat them. Put one on before going to bed and your back will feel 20 years younger when you get up. 

IG88E likes this

Posted (edited)

stretching is huge, not only before but during and after. I would go full out and before a match stretch as if you were going to do a whole body workout. During the match you can do shoulder rolls and neck stretches to keep limber, also concentrate on your breathing, it can help reduce the tension. After the match I would do another full body stretch just as If you are getting ready to leave the gym after working out. Try not to slouch during the match (its hard I know, you're looking down after all...). Drinking water as you said is always a good thing, no matter what you're doing.

As always form is important to prevent injury so I would either consult a physical trainer on proper stretching techniques or look up techniques from a reputable source. The last thing you want to do is stretch your neck incorrectly and cause an even worse problem.

Edited by Phoenix5454
IG88E likes this

1 hour swimming once per week. I am serious, just a little basic training will cure most light back issues and do a lot of prevention work against getting more serious problems. 

IG88E likes this

Basic thing is basic, but constantly overlooked: comfortable shoes.

It sounds overly simple, but consider this; you're standing for several hours, with minimal movement of your feet, on a flat, hard surface that is probably poured concrete with some carpet tiles glued on at best. I'm going to say your Cons or trainers aren't the best idea going.

I wore a pair of my hiking boots to regionals last year, and I ended up in better shape after 14 hours of being on my feet playing, than even a couple of hours in my usual skate shoes. They don't even have to be boots, there's plenty of similar hiking shoes that look "normal", but will provide you with much more support and cushioning.

Bonus, you have a snazzy pair of hiking shoes to hit the trails with, so you can clear your head after the tourney!

LagJanson, IG88E and Stoneface like this

I try to make sure I've got a chair. I get up when it's necessary to move ships and whatnot.

Also taking a short walk between matches helps. Go to the bathroom, get a drink, browse any game products the store may have...

IG88E likes this

For me it's my knees. I kinda wrecked em tree planting during college. 

Advil helps, and taking glucosemene, but I'm not sure if that helps with back pain. 

Jacob

IG88E likes this

good shoes is a must. sitting whenever possible is highly recommended. I have some screws and rods in my lower back and these things help. Also, blow your opponent away as quickly as possible so you can have some time to walk around a bit. ;-)

IG88E likes this