Sign in to follow this  
Lochlan

Come On Down! Price is Right: Wave 6 Edition

Alright folks, new wave announcement!  You know what that means: rampant speculation on every single aspect of what's to come! But specifically in this thread, it's all about the cost. Just how many points are we going to have to pay for these beauties, and why? So let's get to guessing!

First up, we've got the Quasar Fire. Personally, I feel like this is going to be cheap for a medium ship.  Like, dirt cheap.  How dirt cheap?  Well, let's look at the stats in comparison to what is currently the cheapest non-flotilla ship in the game, the CR90. Now, for the QF1, I am assuming that all of its dice are blue (since the front arc is all blue), which means it has the exact same firepower as a CR90B (even anti-squadron), and also has the same shields and engineering value.  It does have two more hull and quadruple the squadron value, but it also has higher command and one fewer(!) defense token. I think it's also pretty safe to assume that it will be slower/less maneuverable.

Therefore I believe that the Quasar Fire I will be a scant 51 points, and the QF2 will be 60 (purely because I feel it probably pays a premium for the red AS die).

Next up we have the Hammerhead Corvette. These guys are also definitely going to be cheap, I think there's no arguing that.  I am quite confident that they will become the new cheapest non-flotilla.  But how cheap, exactly? Weirdly, this ship closest comparison is also the CR90.  The non-Torpedo variant has the same front armament as the CR90A, but loses a red die on the sides and rear, loses a shield on each side, but gains a hull.  The shields/hull differences are probably (close to) a wash on points, but the loss of firepower should definitely yield a decent reduction in cost.  I'm assuming that speed/maneuverability will be similar, and while we know that command is the same, I am also assuming that squadron and engineering will also be.

Therefore I believe that the Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette will be 32 points and the Hammerhead (Something) Corvette will be 37 points.

12 hours ago, Lochlan said:

Next up we have the Hammerhead Corvette. These guys are also definitely going to be cheap, I think there's no arguing that.  I am quite confident that they will become the new cheapest non-flotilla.  But how cheap, exactly? Weirdly, this ship closest comparison is also the CR90.  The non-Torpedo variant has the same front armament as the CR90A, but loses a red die on the sides and rear, loses a shield on each side, but gains a hull.  The shields/hull differences are probably (close to) a wash on points, but the loss of firepower should definitely yield a decent reduction in cost.  I'm assuming that speed/maneuverability will be similar, and while we know that command is the same, I am also assuming that squadron and engineering will also be.

Therefore I believe that the Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette will be 32 points and the Hammerhead (Something) Corvette will be 37 points.

I agree with most of this, but I doubt the Hammerhead will be as fast or maneuverable as a CR90. The speed dial in the preview for the hammerhead is set to "3", and as far as I know that has been a solid indicator of the ship's max speed. Maneuverability has always been the CR90's shtick, so I doubt the Hammerhead will be able to keep up. Not necessarily a bad maneuvering chart, just not CR90 tier.

Since the Hammerhead comes with "Boarding Engineers", I bet it has the engineering value to use them effectively, so I'm guessing it has an engineering value of "3". It's supposed to be old and durable. It will definitely need it since it trades a valuable evade token for a near worthless contain.

Finally, as my personal crack-pot theory, I predict it will be the first squadron "0" ship. Mostly to keep the cost down, but also because with an offensive retrofit and admiral Leia, it would be very easy to turn a squadron "1" hammerhead into a squadron "3" carrier. And it could take Flight controllers. As much as I would love that, seems a bit crazy on a dinky outdated freighter.

I'm putting down 32 points for the torpedo variant, and 37 for the long range.

4 minutes ago, Pikeman84 said:

Finally, as my personal crack-pot theory, I predict it will be the first squadron "0" ship. Mostly to keep the cost down, but also because with an offensive retrofit and admiral Leia, it would be very easy to turn a squadron "1" hammerhead into a squadron "3" carrier. And it could take Flight controllers. As much as I would love that, seems a bit crazy on a dinky outdated freighter.

Solid pricing, but I don't think it'll be squadron 0. That's probably too unique of a penalty. It's not a squadron pusher by any means, but I don't see it as having any kind of special oil/water incompatibility with them. Plus, you could still combo it with those same upgrades and a token to give it an artificially inflated squadron value. Maybe most importantly, there's no reason why FFG would go out of their way to make a ship pair poorly with its packaged commander. I expect Hammerheads to synergize well with Leia.

1 hour ago, Pikeman84 said:

I doubt it will be squadron 0, because then it can't use Boarding Troopers.

Seeing as the boarding cards are the 'big new thing' this wave, I'd be shocked if it couldn't use one of them at all.

Edited by TheCallum

21 minutes ago, TheCallum said:

I doubt it will be squadron 1, because then it can't use Boarding Troopers.

Seeing as the boarding cards are the 'big new thing' this wave, I'd be shocked if it couldn't use one of them at all.

I think it'll be mostly for boarding engineers than troopers, although I agree with your point, it should be a squadron 2 or if it is a 1, it really hasn't been thought to use troopers

11 minutes ago, Visovics said:

I think it'll be mostly for boarding engineers than troopers, although I agree with your point, it should be a squadron 2 or if it is a 1, it really hasn't been thought to use troopers

I mis-typed, meant it will be unlikely to be squadron 0.

1 hour ago, TheCallum said:

I doubt it will be squadron 0, because then it can't use Boarding Troopers.

Keep in mind, the Hammerhead doesn't come with boarding troopers. It comes with boarding engineers, which works regardless of the ship's squadron value. Not all upgrades in a wave are usable, or all viable, on all the ships in that wave. We've also got several dual slot upgrades we know nothing about.

2 hours ago, Nostromoid said:

Maybe most importantly, there's no reason why FFG would go out of their way to make a ship pair poorly with its packaged commander. I expect Hammerheads to synergize well with Leia.

Leia does much more than just boost squadron activation. She turns an engineering command into powerful damage control, allows ludicrous speed changes, and makes a concentrate firepower command somewhat useful. Hammerheads would still benefit greatly from Leia if they had squadron 0. Even with squadron 0, an EHB would turn them into a cheap pocket carrier with Leia.

If we want to go full tinfoil hat conspiracy here, maybe this is why they don't show the command/squadron/engineering values for the Hammerhead in the preview? They could be waiting for the in depth article for the big "First ship with squadron zero!" reveal.

Edited by Pikeman84

6 minutes ago, chr335 said:

I honestly can't see the quasar being cheaper then the Arquiten

Understandable, but keep in mind a few things:

-The QF gas one more hull, but one fewer shield and two fewer defense tokens. 

-The Arquitens has way more firepower. 

-The Arquitens has a higher engineering value. 

-The only thing the QF really has an advantage in is squadron value. 

Just now, Lochlan said:

Understandable, but keep in mind a few things:

-The QF gas one more hull, but one fewer shield and two fewer defense tokens. 

-The Arquitens has way more firepower. 

-The Arquitens has a higher engineering value. 

-The only thing the QF really has an advantage in is squadron value. 

Reasonable although ship size does factor into cost too.

44 minutes ago, Gadgetron said:

Does it?  Should ship size, independent all other variables, really denote cost?

I don't think so, personally.  There are pros and cons associated with size, such as threat projection, or navigating around obstacles. 

6 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

Quasar 1: 58
Quasar 2: 64

Torpedo Hammerhead : 42
Long Range Hammerhead: 46

No way FFG will print a ship that has 3 dice in the front, 5 hull and has an ordnance and weapon team slot for under 40 points. 5 hull is way too much for 30sum points.

Hull doesn't mean much when you have 1 shields on 3 sides...

7 hours ago, Pikeman84 said:

I agree with most of this, but I doubt the Hammerhead will be as fast or maneuverable as a CR90. The speed dial in the preview for the hammerhead is set to "3", and as far as I know that has been a solid indicator of the ship's max speed. Maneuverability has always been the CR90's shtick, so I doubt the Hammerhead will be able to keep up. Not necessarily a bad maneuvering chart, just not CR90 tier.

Since the Hammerhead comes with "Boarding Engineers", I bet it has the engineering value to use them effectively, so I'm guessing it has an engineering value of "3". It's supposed to be old and durable. It will definitely need it since it trades a valuable evade token for a near worthless contain.

But then it couldnt use boarding parties at all, I'm guessing squad of 2, 

Couple of points.

1. The Quasar appears to have 2 reds 1 blue for the front arc and an anti squadron of 1 red die.

2. There appears to be maybe 4 variants of the Hammerhead. One card is face up in picture and it looks like 3 face down. Compare with the Quasar which has 1 face up and 1 face down.

12 minutes ago, NeonKnight said:

Couple of points.

1. The Quasar appears to have 2 reds 1 blue for the front arc and an anti squadron of 1 red die.

2. There appears to be maybe 4 variants of the Hammerhead. One card is face up in picture and it looks like 3 face down. Compare with the Quasar which has 1 face up and 1 face down.

Wouldn't there be two variants for the hammerheads? Two of each so you could use the same for both ships or mix and match? 

30 minutes ago, NeonKnight said:

Couple of points.

The Hammerhead has 4 cards because it comes with two ships in the box, so two variant cards for each physical ship.

I think the Hammerhead will be Squadrons 1, it just doesn't seem from the show or movie that it is a commanding squadrons type. I could see one of the variants being Squadron 2. Engineering of 2 or 3.

The pricing on both will be interesting, as the Hammerhead will/is in some ways better, others worse than a CR90, so will probably end up being cheaper overall. We need a little more info and by the time we get that info we will probably know the price.