markcsoul

The more I play against VCX's...

...the more I realize how vastly inferior firesprays are to them.  For similar points they are superior in almost every way.  More hit points, more attack dice, a second crew slot, a systems slot, a turret slot.  The 5k makes it easy to turn around when needed as well.  Really the only negative is the lack of EPT on any of them.  Yes they have 0 agility which can be rough with all the heavy hitters nowadays.  But thanks to FCS it's easy to take evade action each turn and avoid 1 damage per round at least.

I fly firesprays a lot still even though they seem to get pushed farther down the ladder of usability with each passing wave.  Yet I'm still able to usually get winning records with them.  But when they are matched up against VCX's they just get wrecked and it makes me sad for what the firespray could be if it ever got a fix/buff.

C'mon FFG, make a firespray aces/veterans already!  (Preferably with Jango paint scheme, but Kath's would look cool also).

G-52.JPG

Most Wretched pack that comes with a Firespray and a Kihraxz fighter would be good. Something I would definitely buy. True Starviper needs some love but the Firespray has been around longer and is more recognizable.

Good fix would be something along the lines of the X7, title remove some of the upgrades for fewer points and more green on the dial.

Edited by AdamGATX105

The firespray is one of those few ships with absolutely no good builds - where another ship can do the same thing cheaper. The list so far is:

T-65 X-wings
B-wings
Z-95s
U-wings
TIE Punisher
TIE Striker
Firespray
Upsilon Shuttle
Kihraxz
Starviper

On that list, the Firespray is a long way down the importance scale. If The Last Jedi features a firespray a fix might be added somewhere,  but other than that I can't see it happening.

3 minutes ago, Astech said:

The firespray is one of those few ships with absolutely no good builds - where another ship can do the same thing cheaper. The list so far is:

T-65 X-wings
B-wings
Z-95s
U-wings
TIE Punisher
TIE Striker
Firespray
Upsilon Shuttle
Kihraxz
Starviper

On that list, the Firespray is a long way down the importance scale. If The Last Jedi features a firespray a fix might be added somewhere,  but other than that I can't see it happening.

A lot of rumors going around about Boba Fett appearing in the Han Solo film, if any of that is true I say it would be a safe bet to see a fix for it next year.

The closest thing the firespray has gotten to a fix is tail gunner.  But since it only has 1 crew slot there are other viable options as well.  If it ever got a 2nd crew slot with a 2 point discount on crew member I think most people would take tail gunner for free plus another crew of their choice.

22 minutes ago, AdamGATX105 said:

Most Wretched pack that comes with a Firespray and a Kihraxz fighter would be good. Something I would definitely buy. True Starviper needs some love but the Firespray has been around longer and is more recognizable.

Good fix would be something along the lines of the X7, title remove some of the upgrades for fewer points and more green on the dial.

One upgrade I thought of was a firespray only mod that gave A: boost action and B: let the firespray change any soft maneuver into a hard maneuver of the same speed and direction.  This would give it a maneuverability buff, hard 1s, AND it would give Imperial Boba a bit of a boost.  

I think the four biggest issues with the firespray are (in no particular order)

1) Too expensive for what you get

2) Can be squishy thanks to 2 agility at 10 hit points with a large base

3) Lack of repositioning actions without upgrades

4) Lots of upgrade slots, but not many ideal ones that most large ships have (multiple crew, systems, tech)

Getting a cost reduction for not using some of the upgrade slots would help a lot for issue #1, or getting something for options 2-4 for free or negative cost would be great as well.

A systems slot with free upgrade like Tie x1 would be great, as would a x7 type upgrade where you get reduced cost and a free evade action.  But preferably at speeds 1-2 instead of 3+.

I love the firespray, being a Boba fanboy. The best list I have right now:

Firespray-31: · Boba Fett (39)
     Expert Handling (2)
     Engine Upgrade (4)
     Intelligence Agent (1)
     Glitterstim (2)
Quadjumper: · Constable Zuvio (19)
     Adaptability (Decrease) (0)
     Cluster Mines (4)
     Bombardier (1)
     Scavenger Crane (2)
Protectorate Starfighter: Concord Dawn Veteran (22)
     Push The Limit (3)
     Concord Dawn Protector (1)
-- TOTAL ------- 100/100p. --

Zuvio is my Biggs, you can ignore him buy I don't recommend it. With Intel Agent I can flex Boba's ability and not regret losing VI. The firespray needs something, but I would be happy with barrel roll or a 1 hard turn without having to pay extra for it. 

I DO get sad when I open my carrying case and see my Firespray's sitting idol.

It is very difficult to play a Firespray instead of a Lancer these days. Mobile Arc at the same price point as Aux arc feels a no brainer. Also having easily triggered Utility based pilot abilities instead of dice ones makes the decision to pick a Lancer so much easier.

10 hours ago, phild0 said:

I DO get sad when I open my carrying case and see my Firespray's sitting idol.

It is very difficult to play a Firespray instead of a Lancer these days. Mobile Arc at the same price point as Aux arc feels a no brainer. Also having easily triggered Utility based pilot abilities instead of dice ones makes the decision to pick a Lancer so much easier.

Not to mentioned a much better dail on the Lancer

Edited by AdamGATX105

3 hours ago, Astech said:

T-65 X-wings
B-wings
Z-95s
U-wings
TIE Punisher
TIE Striker
Firespray
Upsilon Shuttle
Kihraxz
Starviper

NO good builds? Biggs, scum Zs, and the Upsilon do not belong on that list.

NO good builds? Biggs, scum Zs, and the Upsilon do not belong on that list.

I forgot about Biggs for one brief shining moment. Scum Zs are kind of pathetic, becuase the Scyk is getting lightweight frame and the kihraxz has the illicit slot, so its thunder is gone right there. The Upsilon is cool and all, but there's nothing it can do that a Lambda can't do cheaper.

3 hours ago, markcsoul said:

...the more I realize how vastly inferior firesprays are to them.  For similar points they are superior in almost every way.  More hit points, more attack dice, a second crew slot, a systems slot, a turret slot.  The 5k makes it easy to turn around when needed as well.  Really the only negative is the lack of EPT on any of them.  Yes they have 0 agility which can be rough with all the heavy hitters nowadays.  But thanks to FCS it's easy to take evade action each turn and avoid 1 damage per round at least.

I fly firesprays a lot still even though they seem to get pushed farther down the ladder of usability with each passing wave.  Yet I'm still able to usually get winning records with them.  But when they are matched up against VCX's they just get wrecked and it makes me sad for what the firespray could be if it ever got a fix/buff.

C'mon FFG, make a firespray aces/veterans already!  (Preferably with Jango paint scheme, but Kath's would look cool also).

G-52.JPG

You still right, but consider that the VCX needs the shuttle for his ausiliar fire arc. So is not a"similar cost"

5 minutes ago, Astech said:

and the kihraxz has the illicit slot, 

Well, a Z-95 is better than the Kihraxz for his cost.

For 20 points i'll tanke a mangler scyk. 

But if I need a missile carrier and/or an illicit slot I prefer the 12 points Z-95.

2 hours ago, Astech said:

T-65 X-wings
B-wings
Z-95s
U-wings
TIE Punisher
TIE Striker
Firespray
Upsilon Shuttle
Kihraxz
Starviper

Pump the brakes. That list is literally half made up of ships I regularly take to the table and do well with. I'd seriously contend the idea that there are "no good builds" with all of those ships. Sure, you won't see a Starviper list tear up the World's rankings, but Strikers and Z95s (for both factions) are commonplace and solid. Upsilons and U-wings are essentially brand new, and even then I've seen them in tournaments already. Heck, I've even seen multiple B-wings in lists at Regionals just a couple of weeks ago, and they held their own.

This list sounds more like ships that some people don't use, rather than ships that desperately need saving from oblivion. Even the Firespray itself isn't as hopeless a case as you seem to make it out to be. I'll grant you, the Imperial version needs a bit of love, but I came up against Scum Boba at Nationals, and a well flown Scum Kath is still rather nasty. 

I honestly find it odd that this is even a list, nevermind that it's populated by those ships...

For me, I almost never take a scum Firespray without Gonk. The aux arc lends itself to attacking and running away, and Gonk has saved my bacon several times. If it's not Gonk, it has tail gunner, sometimes with Outmaneuver EPT so you can try to get that juicy -2 agility on a ship. Native Barrel Roll and a systems slot would do wonders for this ship, but I don't know if that would ever happen.

Pump the brakes. That list is literally half made up of ships I regularly take to the table and do well with. I'd seriously contend the idea that there are "no good builds" with all of those ships. Sure, you won't see a Starviper list tear up the World's rankings, but Strikers and Z95s (for both factions) are commonplace and solid. Upsilons and U-wings are essentially brand new, and even then I've seen them in tournaments already. Heck, I've even seen multiple B-wings in lists at Regionals just a couple of weeks ago, and they held their own.

This list sounds more like ships that some people don't use, rather than ships that desperately need saving from oblivion. Even the Firespray itself isn't as hopeless a case as you seem to make it out to be. I'll grant you, the Imperial version needs a bit of love, but I came up against Scum Boba at Nationals, and a well flown Scum Kath is still rather nasty. 

I honestly find it odd that this is even a list, nevermind that it's populated by those ships...

Good for you, and I've won at least one game flying a Punisher, and several with Kihraxzs. That doesn't mean it's a good ship or even an okay ship, it just means that your combination of ships + player skill was better than the combination of your opponents'.

The general consensus on the U-wing through hundreds of games is that is is far too squishy and unwieldy on the field. Strikers are demolished by anything PS 9, and the generics are laughable in almost every matchup. Firesprays die to nearly everything in the game - even Punishers have a chance against them, to say nothing of the fact that Fenn Rau, Whisper or Soontir could solo any firespray with ease.

The list is haphazard, and some of the ships have fringe cases that are playable, but the fact remains that a player that wants to win can spend their money better elsewhere.

7 hours ago, Astech said:

T-65 X-wings
B-wings
Z-95s
U-wings
TIE Punisher
TIE Striker
Firespray
Upsilon Shuttle
Kihraxz
Starviper

Z-95 is the cheapest ship in the game, how can anything do its job for fewer points? There are good ways to run all of those ships. The firespray will be my next list building project.

8 hours ago, Talamare said:

New Modification

Heavily Armed - 0 points
Firespray Only - Reduce the cost of each upgrade on this ship by 1 (Min 0)

I like this idea because it emphasizes the Firespray's strengths instead of shoring up its weaknesses.  If it has anything over other similarly priced ships it's that it has a whole mess of upgrade options, giving it a Swiss army knife thing.  If it didn't have great efficiency, it would at least have great flexibility.