Jump to content
Shecian

The Future of 2nd Edition

Recommended Posts

I am definitely hoping for some stuff and that everything at the printer comes out soon. Due to the changes with Asmodee I decided to go out and pick up everythign because I just love the game. Just waiting on one more lieutenant pack to arrive. Even if they slowdown on the Physical expansions for a bit I would love for them to do something with the Shadow Rune Campaign and continue expanding the app. My fiancee and I play the game mostly in the app and that has stimulated a lot of sales. If they are busy with other games and don't have production capacity adding a new campaign to the app and getting and update version of Shadow Rune out there would be a great way to keep interest going in the game without them having to produce miniatures. I do want to see some kind of physical expansion in 2018 maybe even some rule update to reflect on how IA has improved on the system.

Edited by Fenrir767

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's scary to have so much out of print at once and there has been rumors and trolling but the core box is on the boat and a number of the other expansions are at the printer. Descent is doing fine, hopefully we'll hear some news at gencon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bucho said:

I know it's scary to have so much out of print at once and there has been rumors and trolling but the core box is on the boat and a number of the other expansions are at the printer. Descent is doing fine, hopefully we'll hear some news at gencon.

I really hope so as well. The game hasn't hit my table near as much as I'd like. I don't usually enjoy playing things alone and Descent has had a troubled past with my play group. That said, I don't think news of reprints gives us any real indication that Descent is going to be ok. I'm waiting for news from GenCon before I make any further purchase decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The app is what convinced me to pick it up as well as the coop adventures then my completionist OCD led me to getting the rest. Having lots of fun with the game and even if they do a third edition depending on what they do I will be playing second edition for a very long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have all of it... I initially purchased H&Ms (Due to some gift cards I had received) with the intent of maintaining archetype balance.

LOL no. Then I decided to go for gender balance. Since I now have a 50/50 split with 38 heroes, any further H&Ms will throw that off. So that's mostly keeping my completionist tendencies in check. :3

Edited by Lightningclaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2017 at 0:48 AM, Proto Persona said:

I really hope so as well. The game hasn't hit my table near as much as I'd like. I don't usually enjoy playing things alone and Descent has had a troubled past with my play group. That said, I don't think news of reprints gives us any real indication that Descent is going to be ok. I'm waiting for news from GenCon before I make any further purchase decisions.

To be fair I was responding to someone scrambling to buy everything while he could still get a hold of it. Yeah reprints doesn't mean that we'll get new expansions. But it does mean that nobody needs to be running out and paying $150 for the core box on amazon either.

However,  I do think the amount of digital content is a pretty clear indication that we will be seeing more of Descent.

If FFG was just looking to sell a digital campaign or two there's no real incentive for them to put out the amount of RtL content that they have for free. All the work they've done putting together free quests for the expansions and H&M packs and giving away free campaigns really only makes sense if they're laying the groundwork to use this platform for a while.

RtL only came out last year and there are already 2 big box campaigns and one small box campaign as well as Delve and all the side quests. That's a huge amount of content for a board game company to put out in a short period of time and it's completely unsurprising that they're giving us time to digest it before trying to sell us more.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2017 at 0:48 AM, Proto Persona said:

I really hope so as well. The game hasn't hit my table near as much as I'd like.

I've been running into the same problem with my board game friends lately, there are just so many options out there. It's hard to get people to play Descent all the time. Have you considered Descent play by post as a solution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2017 at 0:48 AM, Proto Persona said:

I really hope so as well. The game hasn't hit my table near as much as I'd like. I don't usually enjoy playing things alone and Descent has had a troubled past with my play group. That said, I don't think news of reprints gives us any real indication that Descent is going to be ok. I'm waiting for news from GenCon before I make any further purchase decisions.

I am happy to say that Descent still hits the table more than anything else, partially because my wife absolutely loves playing with the app, and thanks to some good organisation tiles (and a display case for models) we can set up, play one or two quests through an app campaign, and pack up in an evening.

Even if they don't do any more physical content, I hope they continue to develop campaigns for the app or even better, open the app up for custom campaigns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Silidus said:

I am happy to say that Descent still hits the table more than anything else, partially because my wife absolutely loves playing with the app, and thanks to some good organisation tiles (and a display case for models) we can set up, play one or two quests through an app campaign, and pack up in an evening.

Even if they don't do any more physical content, I hope they continue to develop campaigns for the app or even better, open the app up for custom campaigns.

This is about where I am at. Not my wife, but my usual gaming buddy loves to play as well with the app, and with the way I have it organized setup and cleanup is very quick. For us, the painted figures help immensely as well. Neither of us gets much into figure heavy games that are just boring grey plastic. Having all the figures painted turns Descent into an extremely fun and compelling experience (to us). I don't need more plastic, I haven't even added any of the H&M packs yet because I haven't gotten to painting them. I just want more app campaigns and I'm happy for now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kaaihn said:

This is about where I am at. Not my wife, but my usual gaming buddy loves to play as well with the app, and with the way I have it organized setup and cleanup is very quick. For us, the painted figures help immensely as well. Neither of us gets much into figure heavy games that are just boring grey plastic. Having all the figures painted turns Descent into an extremely fun and compelling experience (to us). I don't need more plastic, I haven't even added any of the H&M packs yet because I haven't gotten to painting them. I just want more app campaigns and I'm happy for now!

I swear the app knows exactly which figures I have not yet painted or are currently being painted, and chooses them exclusively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Silidus said:

I swear the app knows exactly which figures I have not yet painted or are currently being painted, and chooses them exclusively.

That's why I don't add the expansion in the app until all of the pieces are painted, so it can't try to choose something that isn't ready yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/16/come-see-us-at-gen-con/

Their GenCon news article mentions many games but Descent is not one of them.

If anyone is at GenCon and gets a chance, it would be interesting to ask some employees/staff about Descent.  My guess is that they'll say something like "We have nothing to announce at this time" or "No comment".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sidious78 said:

If there are no news about Descent at GenCon, I think it is safe to say it is dead as a doornail.

I doubt there will be a big reveal for Descent at Gencon.  If there was going to be one, it would have been announced already, you don't save your super secret big reveal for an expansion to a 3 year old game.

That said, they 'may' announce future plans, such as continued Descent development in 2018, but we probably wont see any details for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Silidus said:

I doubt there will be a big reveal for Descent at Gencon.  If there was going to be one, it would have been announced already, you don't save your super secret big reveal for an expansion to a 3 year old game.

That said, they 'may' announce future plans, such as continued Descent development in 2018, but we probably wont see any details for it.

Problem is they stoically refuse to actually confirm there are any plans at all, while more than happy to do the same for other product lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in terms of design space it feels like most of the game is "there"; all the monsters from 1st edition are covered, there's a wide range of class choices, there's multiclassing, there are a lot of conditions, etc. I wouldn't mind an ice/polar expansion (bears and wolves!) but I'm not sure it's necessary, there's a lot of game in place already.

On the other hand all the products still seem to be selling well and there's a lot of room to expand the app. If I were them, that's where I'd be focusing development -- more DLC campaigns, perhaps ones that require combinations of expansions (i.e., Nerekhall and Manor of Ravens, etc.) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this post on board game geek site posted by muddy_dragon: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1832471/news-descent-ffg-flight-report from a rep when asked about the future of Descent. Hopefully this becomes true as I would love to see more products come out.

 

Edit (added quote from post)


"So Descent is obviously is one of our favourite product lines, I think it has become a dungeon crawling classic so we want to do everything we can to continue to support it going forward. We actually have something coming up relatively soon that you should just pay attention to our website we’ll have something very very soon."

Edited by Corradin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Corradin said:

Found this post on board game geek site posted by muddy_dragon: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1832471/news-descent-ffg-flight-report from a rep when asked about the future of Descent. Hopefully this becomes true as I would love to see more products come out.

 

Edit (added quote from post)


"So Descent is obviously is one of our favourite product lines, I think it has become a dungeon crawling classic so we want to do everything we can to continue to support it going forward. We actually have something coming up relatively soon that you should just pay attention to our website we’ll have something very very soon."

I hope they aren't moving to 3rd edition, I just bought *this* game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2017 at 3:50 PM, Corradin said:

Found this post on board game geek site posted by muddy_dragon: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1832471/news-descent-ffg-flight-report from a rep when asked about the future of Descent. Hopefully this becomes true as I would love to see more products come out.

 

Edit (added quote from post)


"So Descent is obviously is one of our favourite product lines, I think it has become a dungeon crawling classic so we want to do everything we can to continue to support it going forward. We actually have something coming up relatively soon that you should just pay attention to our website we’ll have something very very soon."

*Furiously refreshes FFG site*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...