Jump to content
Shecian

The Future of 2nd Edition

Recommended Posts

I think I posted on here that I think the "Third" Edition will really be more a 2.5 Edition.

My ideas on changes:

Reprinted boxes saying "Third Edition" & Maybe instead of "Base Game" it'll say "Heirs of Blood"

Alternating turns (Lair of the Wyrm <_<)

Morale Points System

Reinforcements for EVERY Encounter (Again Lair of the Wyrm<_<)

& most importantly (as you may have guessed),

Fix Lair of the Wyrm!!!!!!! This campaign made me never want to play as the OL again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Slanesh said:

Well there's always games like Sword & Sorcery to check out.

Looked at it, pre-ordered Massive Darkness instead. Just to be clear I love Descent, I just don't like Lair of the Wyrm from the OL's Perspective. In Imperial Assault it was fun to play as either side, in Descent it seems so far that the Heroes have it better (Only played The Shadow Rune & Lair of the Wyrm).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have near everything for this game, and I'm beyond disgusted that it's been so long without news of an update.  There is no excuse for a year of no news, good or bad.  I've only the hero and monster sets to buy, and I'm not touching them now until I hear that there's more content coming.  It does not take a year to make a new campaign for the app.  It does not take a year to "adjust your trajectory".  I see no evidence that Asmodee cares AT ALL about this franchise.

I have ZERO interest in the rest of the Runebound/Terrinoth franchise.  I'm here for the dungeon crawl.  They can make their battlefield miniature combat games all they want, but I won't be buying them.

I do not own any of the Imperial Assault stuff, because no one in my group wants to play it.  If an app appears for it I would likely buy in for solo play, but that is the ONLY scenario in which that would happen.

These are 3 very different settings, and they do not cross over nearly as much as Asmodee seems to think.

At the very least they should do a final box to cap things off properly, like they did with Arkham Horror.  

As it stands they're leaving an awful lot of cash on the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Radioactivepanda said:

I have near everything for this game, and I'm beyond disgusted that it's been so long without news of an update.  There is no excuse for a year of no news, good or bad.  I've only the hero and monster sets to buy, and I'm not touching them now until I hear that there's more content coming.  It does not take a year to make a new campaign for the app.  It does not take a year to "adjust your trajectory".  I see no evidence that Asmodee cares AT ALL about this franchise.

I have ZERO interest in the rest of the Runebound/Terrinoth franchise.  I'm here for the dungeon crawl.  They can make their battlefield miniature combat games all they want, but I won't be buying them.

I do not own any of the Imperial Assault stuff, because no one in my group wants to play it.  If an app appears for it I would likely buy in for solo play, but that is the ONLY scenario in which that would happen.

These are 3 very different settings, and they do not cross over nearly as much as Asmodee seems to think.

At the very least they should do a final box to cap things off properly, like they did with Arkham Horror.  

As it stands they're leaving an awful lot of cash on the table.

You have my approval!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on Zaltre's list there, I think it's more a case of turning down the fire hose. It's only been 6-7 months since the last product announcement. Based on the release schedule, that is a relatively long time, I suppose.

You should the see the Salt-Wing (excuse me, X-Wing) forums. Two weeks go by with no news articles and the sky starts falling.

Myself, I have six boxes, 5 lieutenants, and 4 H&Ms. I think there's quite a lot available to the game.

There may not be many quests for the app, but the app isn't even a year old, from release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Lightningclaw said:

Based on Zaltre's list there, I think it's more a case of turning down the fire hose. It's only been 6-7 months since the last product announcement. Based on the release schedule, that is a relatively long time, I suppose.

You should the see the Salt-Wing (excuse me, X-Wing) forums. Two weeks go by with no news articles and the sky starts falling.

Myself, I have six boxes, 5 lieutenants, and 4 H&Ms. I think there's quite a lot available to the game.

There may not be many quests for the app, but the app isn't even a year old, from release.

Its not so much for me that there isn't enough 'stuff' available. I'd just really like to see some more classes and hybrids to increase the effectiveness of certain heroes/items/etc.

The hybrids that did come out did a wonderful job of helping certain characters like Lyssa or Dezra the Vile go from having no viability to having some fun and playable builds.

I'd like to see more classes that can deal damage without needing to perform attack actions (e.g. support for Jonas the Kind), or new mechanics that pair well with weaker classes like Stalker, Hexer and Spiritspeaker so that my friends pick them more often.

Scouts have it particularly bad, as Treasure Hunter is so much better than every other Scout in most cases.

Edited by Charmy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Charmy said:

Its not so much for me that there isn't enough 'stuff' available. I'd just really like to see some more classes and hybrids to increase the effectiveness of certain heroes/items/etc.

The hybrids that did come out did a wonderful job of helping certain characters like Lyssa or Dezra the Vile go from having no viability to having some fun and playable builds.

I'd like to see more classes that can deal damage without needing to perform attack actions (e.g. support for Jonas the Kind), or new mechanics that pair well with weaker classes like Stalker, Hexer and Spiritspeaker so that my friends pick them more often.

Scouts have it particularly bad, as Treasure Hunter is so much better than every other Scout in most cases.

You have a good point. I actually didn't think about that- stuff to support existing content.

Slight rabbit trail- I always though Jonas' ability was a strictly weaker version of Leoric's ability. They're different archetypes, I know, but it seems odd. Their abilities don't work exactly the same (heroes within 3 spaces vs. monsters within 3 spaces) but it makes Jonas seem awfully situational in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Lightningclaw said:

You have a good point. I actually didn't think about that- stuff to support existing content.

Slight rabbit trail- I always though Jonas' ability was a strictly weaker version of Leoric's ability. They're different archetypes, I know, but it seems odd. Their abilities don't work exactly the same (heroes within 3 spaces vs. monsters within 3 spaces) but it makes Jonas seem awfully situational in comparison.

They are slightly different abilities at least. Leoric's ability cannot reduce the damage you take to 0, and Jonas's ability doesn't prevent any damage if the enemy has sufficient Pierce to ignore the added shield.

There are circumstances where one is better than the other, but the lack of consistency is what is really frustrating about Jonas' ability. I almost think it should be '2 shields' given the difficulty to activate it.

Edited by Charmy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have to say I was wrong in that it hasn't been a year without news, it's been a year without the announcement of a new physical product.  The app is a substantial product, and I would be very happy to see more done with it, but they still seem to be leaving a number of things in the dust.  And a lot of those things were just introduced in the previous year.

My fear is that it's taken so long because they had NOTHING planned to follow, or worse that Asmodee killed off whatever they had planned.

If they pop up in the next month or two and announce a new box and/or another big app campaign then I think things will be ok.  I'd love to see more campaigns based on existing big-box releases like Nerekhall.  And I understand completely if they had to take some time off and redo their release schedule to accommodate the inclusion of said app.

I'd even be fine with future releases being almost entirely app-centered.  There's certainly a lot of physical product to use already.  But if they go that route they really need to patch some of the holes they created over the last 3 releases.

And seriously, they need to communicate.

At this point I'm not buying anything else from FF unless I know they still support their games the way they did Arkham Horror.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry but if FFG was phasing out Descent 2nd Ed. These wouldn't all be at the printer. My guess is that they're waiting for more stock before releasing the next App Quest using Lair of the Wyrm contents.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean it was said by that dude who leaked the end of 2ed that they will keep selling 2ed for as long as they can. So reprints don't prove him wrong. Why people keep using this argument?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And FFG's upcoming page is no guarantee that they actually do what you think they'll do. There have been products in the past that were there for an eternity and then went out of print (without being printed).

I think as long as they are still officially supporting a game and there is a shortage, it will pop up on there. The actual decision to print it is separate from this. 

Edited by Gridash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gridash said:

And FFG's upcoming page is no guarantee that they actually do what you think they'll do. There have been products in the past that were there for an eternity and then went out of print (without being printed).

I think as long as they are still officially supporting a game and there is a shortage, it will pop up on there. The actual decision to print it is separate from this. 

Exactly. The two expansions for "Twilight Imperium" has had the status "Awaiting reprint" since may 2016(!).  I think we are at the end of the line. Let's keep this thread alive and well until proven otherwise. The arrogant silence can only go on for so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reedmooley said:

Yeah, but all that cases was "awaiting reprint", not "at the printer" for example core set and call of the wild for Mansions of Madness 1ed.

Well, we'll see. The last update on that page for the core game is already 2.5 months ago. If anything is going to happen, it will happen soon. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Slanesh said:

I mean it was said by that dude who leaked the end of 2ed that they will keep selling 2ed for as long as they can. So reprints don't prove him wrong. Why people keep using this argument?

Yes, even if there are reprints, it's no indication that the game will still be getting new content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if I posted here on BBG, but I have felt that this year RW & SWIA were the big productions with Descent maybe getting a new line next year (They have to reprint ALOT of stuff).

New products I see:

 

1 Small Box with a Healer & Mage (Making even distribution of Heroes/Hero Classes in Small Boxes)

3 H&M Collections

3 Lieutenant Packs

1 Big Box Expansion

1 Hardbound copy of The Shadow Rune Campaign with an exclusive Gryvorn Lieutenant Pack (Like what they did with the IA Base Game)

1 "CK" style box with tweaked rules and remaining Hybrid Classes

 

I've noticed that they try to make even numbered releases, so there's my theory. I also (as stated earlier) see them reprinting the box covers & remolding the Base Game Heroes to be scaled better. Other then that now that the App is out they can't remake the game from scratch without overhauling the App.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...