Irokenics

Sloane and 'spend' ability

119 posts in this topic

So lets say in squadron combat, a Sloane TIE Fighter rolls an accuracy vs an enemy Ace with Scatter.

You decide to spend the accuracy to spend the defender's scatter.

In the RRG page 4 under Defense Tokens, "A defense token cannot be spent more then once during an attack".

Does this mean that during this attack, that in the Defense Tokens step the defender cannot spend the Scatter due to it being 'spent' already?

2 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Note how the entire section you're referring to talks about the defender spending tokens in the spend token step.

Pre wave 6 there was no way for an opponent to make you spend your Def token (via an ability) iirc, just exhaust them, or discard them.

I can see both sides to this.

Flengin and Madaghmire like this

Posted (edited)

The card says, you chose and spend one of the defenders def tokens, ergo they are defending, and it is being spent.

Edited by TheEasternKing

Posted (edited)

I'm jesting, there is indeed some nuance here.

We have three relevant bullet points in that passage:

1. The defender cannot spend more than one defense token of each type per attack.
  2. A defense token cannot be spent more than once during an attack.
  3. Defense tokens can be spent as part of a cost for upgrade card effects. If spent in this way, a defense token does not produce its normal effect.

• Point 1 does not apply here, because it is the attacker spending the token first. So this point does not stop the defender from spending it again.
  • Point 2 does not specify who is doing the spending, nor does it restrict the timing to the spend defense tokens step. It makes a blanket statement that a token simply cannot be spent more than once during the entire attack. If taken "as is", this is enough to support the point raised by @Irokenics above.
  • Point 3 should however ring some alarm bells. Defense tokens do not produce their normal effect if spent as part of a cost. This is clearly not the case here. So what gives? Does it mean Sloane's ability forces a defender to spend a token, but that token still produces an effect? Clearly not, if only because the timing would be wrong - so we must be missing something.

And indeed we are - the introductory sentence defining the context and boundaries of the bullet points:

"Defense tokens can be spent by the defender  during the “Spend Defense Tokens” step of an attack to produce the effects described below:"

Which is exactly @Green Knight's point. All three of the bullet points above are strictly limited to the defender, and to the Spend Defense Tokens step. If a token is being spent by someone else and/or at a different time (both of which are true here), the bullet points simply do not apply. Resolving things any differently is arbitrary, or breaks the game, or both.

EDIT: ...which is not to say a FAQ entry would be unwelcome.

Edited by DiabloAzul

Posted (edited)

Do we already have clarity if the attackers "spending" is also resolving the defenders "spending effect"?

As an example:

A tie fighter rolls HIT HIT ACC to Tycho and decides to use the attackers spend ability.

Is the double HIT now negated due to the scatter effect? Because if yes, there is no need for the Defender to spend the ability another time.

Ninjad on bullet point1 :-D

Edited by Rocco79

3 hours ago, DiabloAzul said:

I'm jesting, there is indeed some nuance here.

We have three relevant bullet points in that passage:

1. The defender cannot spend more than one defense token of each type per attack.
  2. A defense token cannot be spent more than once during an attack.
  3. Defense tokens can be spent as part of a cost for upgrade card effects. If spent in this way, a defense token does not produce its normal effect.

The second bullet point is not even anywhere in the RRG.

The only parts about spending defense token are:

RRG page 2 / Attack:
4 . Spend Defense Tokens: The defender can spend one or more of its defense tokens.

RRG page 4 / Defense Token:
Defense tokens can be spent by the defender during the “Spend Defense Tokens” step of an attack to produce the effects described below:

The defender cannot spend more than one defense token of each type per attack.

RRG page 16 / Attack resolution:
4 . Spend Defense Tokens: The defender can spend one or more of its defense tokens.

All parts in the RRG only mention the defender. So the attacker can, if an upgrade cards allows it, spend as many as he want. And not related to anything the defender is doing with it.
And if the attacker is spending a defense token from the defender, the effect is not produced. Because only if the defender is spending the token during the spend defense token step it will produce its effect.

At least by the current rules (no one know what the FAQ W5 or even the FAQ W6 will bring.

Posted (edited)

We may be looking at different versions of the RRG, as my bullet points were literally copied & pasted from the PDF.

EDIT: This one.

Edited by DiabloAzul

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Tokra said:

The second bullet point is not even anywhere in the RRG.

The only parts about spending defense token are:

RRG page 2 / Attack:

Defense tokens can be spent by the defender during the “Spend Defense Tokens” step of an attack to produce the effects described below:

The defender cannot spend more than one defense token of each type per attack.

RRG page 16 / Attack resolution:

All parts in the RRG only mention the defender. So the attacker can, if an upgrade cards allows it, spend as many as he want. And not related to anything the defender is doing with it.
And if the attacker is spending a defense token from the defender, the effect is not produced. Because only if the defender is spending the token during the spend defense token step it will produce its effect.

At least by the current rules (no one know what the FAQ W5 or even the FAQ W6 will bring.

It is. P4 defense tokens 8th bullet.

Defense Tokens
Ships and unique squadrons gain the defense tokens 
indicated on their ship and squadron cards during setup 
and place them next to their corresponding cards. Defense 
tokens can be spent by the defender during the “Spend 
Defense Tokens” step of an attack to produce the effects 
described below:
•     Redirect B: The defender chooses one of its hull zones 
adjacent to the defending hull zone. When the defender suffers damage from this attack, it may suffer any amount of damage on the chosen zone’s shields (up to 
the shields remaining on that zone) before it must suffer the remaining damage on the defending hull zone.
•     Evade D: At long range, the defender cancels one attack 
die of its choice. At medium range, it chooses one attack 
die to be rerolled. At close range or distance 1, this token has no effect.
•     Brace C: When damage is totaled during the “Resolve 
Damage” step, the total is reduced to half, rounded up.
•     Scatter A: The defender cancels all attack dice.
•     Defense tokens begin the game on their readied side. 
When a readied defense token is spent, it is flipped to its exhausted side. When an exhausted defense token is 
spent, it is discarded.
•     If the defender’s speed is “0,” it cannot spend defense 
tokens.
•     The defender cannot spend more than one defense token of each type per attack.
•     A defense token cannot be spent more than once during 
an attack.

•     Defense tokens can be spent as part of a cost for upgrade card effects. If spent in this way, a defense token does not produce its normal effect.