Jump to content
Darth Meanie

And Then I Got Bored

Recommended Posts

So, everyone is talking about how Imp TLTs are going to ruin the meta, how the Great Nerfing of 2017 with change the meta, an what should everyone do with all the ships in Wave XI.

I have to admit, I'm kinda hitting a nadir in my interest for this game.  Three more ships, but nothing all that different.  I'm not really sure how any of this is going to change how I play.  Kinda making me sad, with the exception of the C-ROC so I can play full on Scum Epic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a problem that's only going to get worse. As more and more ships are added to the game, the difference between the ships will get smaller. The only things that will differentiate one from another will be the inate pilot ability and possibly the loadout. You'll find small variations like hull and shields values being reversed but the ships will be pretty much the same. I think this is one reason FFG has added the condition cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is fantastic! You can leave the new ships on the shelf, and play with a bunch of squads you've been meaning to run, but never had the time for. I'm pumped to take my generic interceptors out for a spin, for example. I'm also really enjoying triple T-70. With how much money I've spent on the game, I think it's fine to skip a few ships and really dig deep into the collection I currently own.

But yeah, I had the same kind of crestfallen feeling when this next wave was revealed. I don't even play scum and the Scyck article was way more exciting to me. I think there's always hope for Wave 12 XG-1 Starwing Assault Gunboat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Parakitor said:

This is fantastic! You can leave the new ships on the shelf, and play with a bunch of squads you've been meaning to run, but never had the time for. I'm pumped to take my generic interceptors out for a spin, for example. I'm also really enjoying triple T-70. With how much money I've spent on the game, I think it's fine to skip a few ships and really dig deep into the collection I currently own.

But yeah, I had the same kind of crestfallen feeling when this next wave was revealed. I don't even play scum and the Scyck article was way more exciting to me. I think there's always hope for Wave 12 XG-1 Starwing Assault Gunboat!

You tired Jess Pava yet? She is mean with some good wingmen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

You tired Jess Pava yet? She is mean with some good wingmen.

Heck yeah! Now, she's kind of weird for me because I loathe formation flying, but she thrives on range 1 buddies. I use BB-8 Poe and Pattern Analyzer "Snap" so they can weave in and out of range 1. Makes them less predictable, but the extra maneuverability makes getting back into range 1 a trivial endeavor. I've had lots of local success, but have yet to test it in tournament play. And I've gotten thoroughly beaten on Vassal a few times, so I need to consider my approach better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Parakitor said:

Heck yeah! Now, she's kind of weird for me because I loathe formation flying, but she thrives on range 1 buddies. I use BB-8 Poe and Pattern Analyzer "Snap" so they can weave in and out of range 1. Makes them less predictable, but the extra maneuverability makes getting back into range 1 a trivial endeavor. I've had lots of local success, but have yet to test it in tournament play. And I've gotten thoroughly beaten on Vassal a few times, so I need to consider my approach better.

I'm the same with formations, but I've seen it work well enough to think I need to work at it. While I was originally a little disappointed by her ability, it is definitely growing on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I burned out on the competitive end of it last year after Nationals. I ended up switching to Armada for a while just to clear my head of it. I realised afterwards that it wasn't so much the game that had lost it's interest for me, as the meta. Chasing the competitive list and the "next big thing" became a chore, and frankly it sapped every bit of fun out of the game. Plenty of people get their kicks in this game from winning, and that's fine. For me, that wasn't the priority, but it quietly became one. It crept up on me and lured me in, and drained every bit of fun out of it in the process. I grew an irrational hatred for dice, for cards, and for ships.
This game has jumped the shark in expansions, in many ways. In my own clueless opinion, 2016 broke the game. Relentless waves of ships, many with possibly unrefined, maybe even ill-conceived, ideas that diluted, bent, and subsequently warped the meta in exponential ways as each wave dropped. What was a game of growing diversity quickly swung the other direction entirely, becoming a game of extremes; all-out defense, or all-out offense. Wins were achieved with counters, rather than plans. Tokens, rather than flying. Survival, rather than risk.

Now, however, my sights are firmly set on continuing my apparent trend of taking the strangest things to a table and making them work. The new challenge isn't trying to reclaim my Regionals title, or better my Nationals position, it's to come up with some terrible gimmick, and tweak it until it works consistently, then immediately dump it and find a new bag of crazy to work on. In 2016 I won our Regionals with a list I'd spent months tweaking and practicing. In 2017 I came 10th with four TIE Bombers, and walked away considerably happier, with better stories and having seen a lot more smiling faces. That is what this game should be about. It's unfortunately easy to lose sight of that in the face of accelerated wave releases, tournament schedules, and meta pressure.

Find the aspect that makes you happy to play. Grab it, and drive on with it. Whether that means selling half of your collection and putting the pretty models up on a shelf, or going hardcore into the race for a World Championship, that's up to you. The important point is to only do it if it makes you smile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to suggest trying Imperial Assault Skirmish. If you like SW, this is a good game to get your fix of SW gaming. Where I play, its 3/4 X-wing 1/4 IA so when I found myself tired of facing Paratanni, Commonwealth Defenders, etc. I started IA.Now I bounce back and forth.

Just stepping away for spell can give you a new perspective on the game and re-charge your hyperdrive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NakedDex said:

 I realized afterwards that it wasn't so much the game that had lost it's interest for me, as the meta. Chasing the competitive list and the "next big thing" became a chore, and frankly it sapped every bit of fun out of the game. Plenty of people get their kicks in this game from winning, and that's fine. For me, that wasn't the priority, but it quietly became one. It crept up on me and lured me in, and drained every bit of fun out of it in the process. I grew an irrational hatred for dice, for cards, and for ships....

The new challenge isn't trying to reclaim my Regionals title, or better my Nationals position, it's to come up with some terrible gimmick, and tweak it until it works consistently, then immediately dump it and find a new bag of crazy to work on.... 

Find the aspect that makes you happy to play. Grab it, and drive on with it. Whether that means selling half of your collection and putting the pretty models up on a shelf, or going hardcore into the race for a World Championship, that's up to you. The important point is to only do it if it makes you smile.

I absolutely get where you are coming from.  This was me about 1.5-2 years ago.  I went to Regionals in...2015...and almost made the cut with a semi-unusual list as my dice went utterly cold.  Burnout hit in hard.  I went for a while with just doing random stuff and worked on my 4 Tie Bombers back before the fix, even.  I had fun and liked unusual stuff.  I did that for a bit.

Then, I got sick of listening to only podcasts that talked about tournament games and how 80% of a new wave was DOA.  So, I started my own podcast at that point.  I fully embraced the casual.  At this point, I am having a lot of fun with all the crazy stuff.  I went beyond even doing wacky stuff at tournaments.  I went plaid.  The only thing that stresses me out at this point is all the stuff that I'm supposed to try out and don't have enough time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bored?
I haven't played yet 4/5 of the cool combinations of squadron that I want, and when I get it, I'll surely find some more...

Of course, if you anchor yourself to the meta, it could become boresome fast. But is like getting bored of books just because the last Game Of Thrones is someway dissapointing.

The competitive meta?
Yes, I find it boring, but I allways find it boring, in this game and in others.
And even so, probably just now the competitive meta of Xwing, with the new FAQ, the new ships and mods... is in his better shape from years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Draconis Hegemonia said:

Of course, if you anchor yourself to the meta, it could become boresome fast. But is like getting bored of books just because the last Game Of Thrones is someway dissapointing.

Total side note....once I re-read the last book....it was much better.  It also helped that I read that big background book that has all the old history in it.  So, the worst part....when Tyrion is eating and talking about history, I actually knew what he was talking about.   Still......if you haven't...just skip those chapters.    The book is much better on a second read.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following and copying the meta is boring.  To me, it is as much fun as going to see Empire Strikes back in the movie theatres for the first time but while reading the spoilers on your phone as you wait in line ; it ruins the whole experience!

 

Discovering how things will work in your meta, forging your own meta and heck, using new upgrades with old ships to catch people by surprise; that's where the fun truly is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I started the game, I used a different list every single time I played. That was tons of fun! All kinds of A-,B-,X-,E- and Y-Wing combinations.
Until my SO started to play mostly WhisperPalp or Whisper+Aces because she loves the Phantom... from then on I had to build better lists to get a slight chance at all.

The point cost alone is just not balanced enough.

So I suggest to play some HotAC, or to come up with two +/- equally strong lists and find someone to play the second list. Maybe let them choose so you will build the lists as fair as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh. The next wave does nothing for me. We may be the minority, but there's a lot of us that just have no draw to these. I never played the old Star Wars Galaxies game so for me personally these additions are weird. (Yes, I know the wookies were not from SWG, still don't care)

Personally, as long as my group retains their interest though, and what I enjoy flying isn't totally edged out of performing, I'm quite fine. My T-65s are in a better place now than they were in January, so it's help. I also design and run scenarios locally, HotAC, and I'm the TO for our little shop for tournaments so I can draw a lot more enjoyment without actually throwing dice and watching my ships explode. The past four X-Wing nights I've played one game of HotAC and one standard game of 100/6. Everything else is running events. It definitely helps avoid getting stuck in a rut.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Meh. The next wave does nothing for me. We may be the minority, but there's a lot of us that just have no draw to these. I never played the old Star Wars Galaxies game so for me personally these additions are weird. (Yes, I know the wookies were not from SWG, still don't care)

I'm loving the Tie Aggressor purely on concept.  How cool is a fighter bomber like that?  It could be a great escort ship for an Imperial convoy that is being raided.  It can be part of a strike force on a Rebel base/ship with Tie Fighters to intercept enemy fighters.  The different missions and ideas for that one ship are so cool!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Parakitor said:

This is fantastic! You can leave the new ships on the shelf, and play with a bunch of squads you've been meaning to run, but never had the time for. I'm pumped to take my generic interceptors out for a spin, for example. I'm also really enjoying triple T-70. With how much money I've spent on the game, I think it's fine to skip a few ships and really dig deep into the collection I currently own.

But yeah, I had the same kind of crestfallen feeling when this next wave was revealed. I don't even play scum and the Scyck article was way more exciting to me. I think there's always hope for Wave 12 XG-1 Starwing Assault Gunboat!

This is definitely a silver lining.  It smacks a bit of when GURPS (my preferred RPG) went from 3e to 4e.  I was internally like, "well, now I don't have to buy more supplements, and I can learn 3e like the back of my hand."  Which I did.

10 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Spending time away from the forums and playing games that are fun and different will help rejuvenate the game

I guess this might be a little bit of my ennui.  I have to admit I spend more time creeping the boards than actually playing, so, as I was scanning the boards last night, I realized I could give a **** about rehashing and guessing what Wave XI will do for the meta.  Which means I really am not that excited about seeing it arrive in stores.  And this is the first time this has happened since I joined at Wave 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped caring about what the meta is and what ships get realesed ive skipped atleast 3 waves of ships cause they just didnt interest me, I play what i find interesting, and enjoy my few lists i enjoy. Makes me a lot happier playing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I guess this might be a little bit of my ennui.  I have to admit I spend more time creeping the boards than actually playing, so, as I was scanning the boards last night, I realized I could give a **** about rehashing and guessing what Wave XI will do for the meta.  Which means I really am not that excited about seeing it arrive in stores.  And this is the first time this has happened since I joined at Wave 3.

As someone who hated Turret-wing, Wave 5 was the absolute worst.  Nothing but two big, primary-turret ships?  UGH.  Not only did I not care about it, I would be facing more of the very thing I hated on all the tables.  

Wave 7 had the Kihraxz, but other than that, it wasn't very exciting to me.  

Some waves come and go and often the FFG forums is nothing but threads that hold no interest.  Still, I enjoy the game.  I focus on what I want to do and what excites me.  I'm going to love the next wave as either the ships are really cool or the upgrades that come in them will help other ships that I love.  The Wookie ship holds no interest for me, but the other two look great.  I don't even really mean how it affects the meta.  I'm more talking about how fun it will be to fly different stuff.  I want 3-4 of the Tie Aggressor just to have some sort of mission with them.  I think it would be so cool.  Have something like 4 of those and an escort vs a bunch of Rebels that have to shoot down the Aggressors before they get off the long side of a 6x3 game board.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...