mattman75

Fenn Rau Questions

I have a couple of questions about Fenn, if someone could help me out....

1. His ability gives him an extra die at range one when attacking or defending. So, when attacking at Range 1, he is rolling 5 die? (3 for normal, 1 for range bonus, plus 1 for ability?)

2. His title card gives him an extra evade if he is at range one of the attacker, and he is in their firing arc and the attacker is in his....I haven't had a chance to play Fenn yet, but with 4 hull and no shields, wouldn't you want to keep him out of the attackers firing arc?? Or just rely on the three evade dice, the extra dice from his ability, and the evade that the title gives him??

Thanks so much!

Fenn at range 3 good, he needs autothrusters and rolls 4 defense dice, fenn at range 1 even in arc good, he rolls 4 dice and has concord dawn protector adding an auto evade......fenn at range 2 is a dead fenn...... yes he's fragile like many aces but good piloting can really be your friend.  

Fenn has to have title and autothrusters........

1) yes this is also when defending,  

2) 4 dice at r 1 and r3 so you're relying on 4 sometimes 5 evade dice not 3.......

6 hours ago, mattman75 said:

1. His ability gives him an extra die at range one when attacking or defending. So, when attacking at Range 1, he is rolling 5 die? (3 for normal, 1 for range bonus, plus 1 for ability?)

This is correct. He rolls 5 attack dice at range one. He also gets this bonus when using secondary weapons at range one.  He will also roll 4 defense dice at range one.

6 hours ago, mattman75 said:

2. His title card gives him an extra evade if he is at range one of the attacker, and he is in their firing arc and the attacker is in his....I haven't had a chance to play Fenn yet, but with 4 hull and no shields, wouldn't you want to keep him out of the attackers firing arc?? Or just rely on the three evade dice, the extra dice from his ability, and the evade that the title gives him?

He is first and foremost an arc dodger.  Keep him out of arc when you can. When you can't keep him out of arc, make sure you're at range 1 or range 3.

2 hours ago, FangedChicken said:

He is first and foremost an arc dodger.  Keep him out of arc when you can. When you can't keep him out of arc, make sure you're at range 1 or range 3.

Corollary: if your opponent can shoot OUT of arc, you're best off in their arc at range 1.

3 hours ago, FangedChicken said:

True, that's a good point.  Just don't do it against Dengar.

I faced off with a 2 hull Fenn Rau against Dengar at range 1 in arc.  I had initiative, so fired and used my focus to deliver a 4 hit 1 crit attack of which he old rolled 1 evade.  In 2 - 4 dice attacks, I took 1 damage.  He had to use Bossk to finish off Fenn which allowed Old Teroch to deliver the range 1 killshot to Dengar.  After that, I got Teroch behind Bossk and slow chased him for the win.

Don't underestimate the ability of Fenn to survive range 1 shots in arc.

2 hours ago, USCGrad90 said:

I faced off with a 2 hull Fenn Rau against Dengar at range 1 in arc.  I had initiative, so fired and used my focus to deliver a 4 hit 1 crit attack of which he old rolled 1 evade.  In 2 - 4 dice attacks, I took 1 damage.  He had to use Bossk to finish off Fenn which allowed Old Teroch to deliver the range 1 killshot to Dengar.  After that, I got Teroch behind Bossk and slow chased him for the win.

Don't underestimate the ability of Fenn to survive range 1 shots in arc.

I'm not underestimating him, it's just better odds for you if Dengar doesn't get two shots. It's cool that you only took a hull of damage. One day you'll roll 4 blanks on that second attack and think again. After all, you only get one attack, why the heck would you want to give him two?

12 hours ago, FangedChicken said:

True, that's a good point.  Just don't do it against Dengar.

As long as you've got enough focus tokens it's probably an acceptable risk especially if you have focus/TL.  Even if he kills you you're likely to do around half his HP in damage to him, and you're worth about half what he is.  It's a decent piece trade, especially if he's already down some health.

I mean when Dengaroo was still a thing you'd have been absolutely right but that build has been burned with fire and good riddance to it.

6 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

I mean when Dengaroo was still a thing you'd have been absolutely right but that build has been burned with fire and good riddance to it.

Hey now, I liked Dengaroo. Yes, it was a powerful list, but a) it wasn't nearly so powerful if you fought it correctly (going after Manaroo), and b) it was such a unique combination of abilities that it's really a shame to see it go. At some point I'll put more effort into seeing whether or not there's a version worth running with new 'roo.

As to Fenn at Range 1 in arc of dangerous things... I once barrel-rolled Fenn into Range 1 and arc of all 3 enemy Imperial Aces on purpose and came out the other side of 11 attack dice taking only 1 crit.

On a similar note, how do you think you could survive a Rey/Finn combo?  I was thinking to give Fenn lone wolf to get a rerole a blank for survivability.  I mean range one kinda sux against her. 

1 hour ago, BCvalor said:

On a similar note, how do you think you could survive a Rey/Finn combo?  I was thinking to give Fenn lone wolf to get a rerole a blank for survivability.  I mean range one kinda sux against her. 

Never be in his front, in a 1v1. Your bonuses aren't bigger than theirs. But you still shoot 5 dice and defense with 4 dice+AT out of his arc. 

Anyway, you cost 32, she 60 so try to fill those "30" with the rest of your list. Stress her works well (usually she have Expertise).

as to your 2, I have rolled 6 green die and rolled 1 evade and a couple of Foci. Never rely on the green die, I always think, I have taken x hits, what ever I can nullify is a bonus.

I always play Fenn as a flanker, I cannot tell you the amount of times I have vapourised an enemy Fenn as he has been at rng 2 and received 0 bonuses. Fluff enough die and he will die pretty quick. I lovge mindlink with fenn too, he can get his mods and barrel roll/Boost, or get double focus/ Focus and TL for a return shot if it's there.

45 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

as to your 2, I have rolled 6 green die and rolled 1 evade and a couple of Foci. Never rely on the green die, I always think, I have taken x hits, what ever I can nullify is a bonus.

I always play Fenn as a flanker, I cannot tell you the amount of times I have vapourised an enemy Fenn as he has been at rng 2 and received 0 bonuses. Fluff enough die and he will die pretty quick. I lovge mindlink with fenn too, he can get his mods and barrel roll/Boost, or get double focus/ Focus and TL for a return shot if it's there.

That is why I was thinking lonewolf, cuz it gives you SOME give in all three ranges.  I would fly him on a three ship list, so I could keep him by himself fairly well.