Maturin

Let's talk about Leia the Commander

5 minutes ago, Sybreed said:

who knows, if Leia ends up being pretty good, it might make Imperial players want to use Tarkin more often?

That's still dependent if Tarkin is a good buy, atm, he's usually not.  (But I still like him.  He's fun and really requires a lot of thinking to play well.)

Just now, Blail Blerg said:

That's still dependent if Tarkin is a good buy, atm, he's usually not.  (But I still like him.  He's fun and really requires a lot of thinking to play well.)

Weather Tarkin is a good buy or not, he will never be the "good guy" ;):):D:P 

1 minute ago, Undeadguy said:

So it sounds like Slicer Tools is a pretty good counter to commander Leia... and since there is no officer Leia, they get stuck with what you pick.

It would be, except:

12 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I think for high command ships using Leia as a commander will make more use of the "before you reveal a command" officers or the two liaisons. You can ditch that CF token to swap your dial and not have "lost" that previous command since you still get/keep the token. 

If you're taking the liaisons and whatnot to make sure you get the right command and not waste the token due to Leia's effect, then you are also, almost as an afterthought, countering Slicer Tools.

2 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

So it sounds like Slicer Tools is a pretty good counter to commander Leia... and since there is no officer Leia, they get stuck with what you pick.

Indeed... But that's where Skilled First Officer is going to come in, somewhat, I guess....  I mean, you're freeing up at least one officer Slot, and 3 Points, right? :D

4 minutes ago, NobodyInParticular said:

If you're taking the liaisons and whatnot to make sure you get the right command and not waste the token due to Leia's effect, then you are also, almost as an afterthought, countering Slicer Tools.

But you can also just slicer a ship that doesn't have a liaison. And if people want to spend 3-6 points on a liaison instead of a unique officer, that's fine with me.

5 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Indeed... But that's where Skilled First Officer is going to come in, somewhat, I guess....  I mean, you're freeing up at least one officer Slot, and 3 Points, right? :D

Yea but SFO is only useful if you have a useful command underneath. If you set up a squad command and then a nav to bug out, SFO won't help you deal more damage this turn. If you do redundant commands, SFO would be useful.

There are a lot of "what if" cases here, so feel free to provide examples. But over all, Slicer Tools got a boost. It's already a good card, and if you run into Leia at a tournament, it's even better IMO.

Still, its just an additional Admiral Choice...  Run into any other Rebel Admiral, and you're just as countered as you were previous, effectively...  So on the whole, it ups Slicer Tools "Average" efficacy slightly in my mind...

But I can't really comment on it...  I don't own a Gozanti Expansion, and no-one's ever actually used Slicer Tools against me...  The one time it was fielded, I kinda squashed it before it could try anything...  >.>

Which gives me little practical experience or advice, so I'm well aware I may be off the mark for that very reason in the very least.

3 hours ago, Kiwi Rat said:

The wording sounds a bit confusing to me.

How can a ship be able to resolve a command before it resolves a command???

And when it does, its not allowed to resolve a command after it has resolved a command???

Thats like... well I don't know...whats that like... Perhaps I'm too used to rules that are simple and straight forward, by being written as a KISS text.

Would it not have been simpler to write: When friendly ships reveals a command dial it gets a matching command token.

End of story.

Your not actually receiving the token though so no.

3 hours ago, OccasionallyCorrect said:

Throw a Pelta in the mix with her, and you get to use Entrapment formation PLUS whatever command you call for.  You're basically getting a command/token plus a token nav on turns 2-6.

How do you figure? The pelta won't be able to use her ability ever if it is using EF

Edited by Tirion

40 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

Yea but SFO is only useful if you have a useful command underneath. If you set up a squad command and then a nav to bug out, SFO won't help you deal more damage this turn. If you do redundant commands, SFO would be useful.

Though usually you're putting SFO on command 2 ships - and generally you're setting the command you actually want this turn, this turn.  And you get to set next turn's command this turn too....so unless you've messed up this command phase, SFO really ought to bail you out of slicer trouble.

4 minutes ago, Tirion said:

You do you figure? The pelta won't be able to use her ability ever if it is using EF

I think OccasionallyCorrect means that the Pelta will save a token turn 1 (not using Leia), and then when needed uses it....benefiting every other ship in the fleet, which presumably have SuperNav's dialed up.  You don't HAVE to use Leia's ability on every ship. :D

Edited by Maturin

3 hours ago, Warlord Zepnick said:

Liberty wouldn't be 4 squads all the time. You need to actually spend the token to get the liberty effect. It's only 3 squads all the time with the princess.

Edit: fake rules

Wut? How did you get too 3?

5 minutes ago, Tirion said:

Wut? How did you get too 3?

Liberty has a title that lets it activate +1 squadron.

Edit: The name of the title is 'Liberty'.

Edited by Valca

oh so thats what she does. i couldnt make out the blurry picture very well.

Interesting. Squadrons would be the obvious boost but the other is engineering. Thats Engineering + 1/2 on the fly, you have any idea how many ships are usually 1 engineering shy of something that would save their neck? 2engi ships have to bank to remove cards, and 4engi ships generally have that 4th engineering point wasted (least for me, majority of the time the only shields i have to shimmy around open up vulnerability from the other ship hitting me, or squadrons)

Also the ability to let ships double-slow down or speed up w/o banking is amazing. I keep a nav token PURELY because often i'll see a spot where i need to speed up/down twice in 1 turn.

1 hour ago, NobodyInParticular said:

It would be, except:

Not how this works. You don't actually get the token

2 minutes ago, Tirion said:

Not how this works. You don't actually get the token

Similar to the Pelta comment above. You take a token a turn you don't need a command, then when slicer tools happens or you want to get a new command on your top dial, you can remove said token and change the command. Because of Leia's ability simulating a token's effect, you are not losing the effect of the token you discarded.

You could run weapons liaison, bank a nav token turn one, maybe a CF turn 2, and then stack engineering. 

Or or go opposite with defense and stack a nav and Squad token and then slam squad commands. Leia gives you super squad commands until you need that Nav or engineering command and you blow a token. If you just need a speed change, you skip Leia's ability and blow the nav that turn

4 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

You can still use the Nav Dial.

You just don't get the Benefit of a Free Nav Token with your Dial when you do.

So you are basically paying 38 points for nothing right? Given that the multiple token spending is a vital part of the game.

Edited by xerpo

4 hours ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

I think she will open the door to very interesting builds.  Hard start/stop, squadron, and repair build.

I think her weakness (not being able to resolve multiple commands when she does her thing) will come into play during navigation the most.  Not being able to use that banked token to slow down or speed up will be a challenge.

We rebels always have the "challenge" we are used to it ;)

2 minutes ago, xerpo said:

So you are basically paying 38 points for nothing right? Given that the multiple token spending is a vital part of the game.

On 1 ship for 1 turn. Your admiral will not have on impact an every ship on every turn...

Edited by Valca