TasteTheRainbow

Wave 11 article is up!

5 hours ago, Managarmr said:

@Vineheart01
I do not play Armada. In which way is the Scurrg disgusting there?

Sorta have to know how squadrons work to see why its bad. The mentality is way different there both because theres no preplanned maneuvers for them, each ship has a max speed, and you are on a 6-turn limit to play the game so things that arent super effective against their target are discouraged. Scurrgs have THE WORST anti-squad attack in the game, even the Lambda is better (slightly) to say the least, and when Rebels have typically 4-5 less squads than Imps having a single squad that cant attack other squads very well is bad.

6 hours ago, Managarmr said:

Some remarks:
The pilot skill distribution of the Auzituck (1/3/5/7) is rather unusual for rebels, that's a typical scum distribution.

What unique salvaged astro comes with the Scuurg? Probably Bo Shek's R4-E1?

@Johen Dood
I do not think that Jonus is allowed to modify the Unguided Rockets, only Focus. There is a meaning with the akward text on hte Unguided Rockets card. That's probably going to be clarified in a coming FAQ.

@Vineheart01
I do not play Armada. In which way is the Scurrg disgusting there?

@Managarmr Yeah my thoughts were in regards to the TIE Aggressor with TLTs not Unguided Rockets. Jonus gets to modify both attacks of TLTs (Twin Laser Turrets).

3 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Because it could have been elegantly written AND consistent with existing rules.  Quite easily:

Your attack dice can be modified only by spending a focus token for its standard effect.

versus

Your attack dice cannot be modified except by spending a focus token for its standard effect.

Literally one word changed and one word added to make it consistent with the general rule that 'cannot' can't be overridden.

Probably personal prefference, but I like the original version way better.

There is also unwritten rule of game design: avoid negation and use declarative statements as much as possible

You cannot... except... - that is an example of an unnecesarily overcomplicated grammar. NOPE.
You can only... - there is no negation here, the whole sentense tells you exactly what you can do. YES PLEASE!

Edited by Voitek

The current language is better from a sheer readability perspective, but folks are right: "Your attack dice cannot be modified except by spending a focus token for its standard effect" is better language in an exception-based game (which X-Wing is).

Given that "cannot" is the only absolute in the game, not using "cannot" opens any rule up to exceptions.  We know the intent of the card from reading it, but we are reasonable people, willing to consider intent.  Many X-Wing players are not willing to do so; given that, we needed the clunkier "cannot" language.

Edited by Jeff Wilder

Hmm...just thought about something.

Unguided Missiles makes no mention as to who is modding the dice, just YOUR dice (possessive) can only be modded by a focus token for its standard effect.

TECHNICALLY that means nobody can eff with your dice either. Its not saying YOU can only mod them via a focus, its saying they can only be modded by a focus period. No Jammer, no forced rerolls, no nothing.

Just now, Vineheart01 said:

Hmm...just thought about something.

Unguided Missiles makes no mention as to who is modding the dice, just YOUR dice (possessive) can only be modded by a focus token for its standard effect.

TECHNICALLY that means nobody can eff with your dice either. Its not saying YOU can only mod them via a focus, its saying they can only be modded by a focus period. No Jammer, no forced rerolls, no nothing.

Correct

33 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Which makes sense, they're just dumbfire rockets. Jamming, weird slicer tactics, masters of weapon guidance etc - doesn't matter. The rocket leaves the tube and flies where you pointed. And apparently you can fit a lot of rockets. 

Yep.  They're basically just fatter, more explodey lasers.

Well missiles irl that are basically dumbfire are significantly smaller/cheaper than guided ones. I dont know the exact sizes but i'd wager you could fit probably 50% more rockets in the same slotted space the guided ones took up. Or more precisely, both the guided ones took up since its eating 2 missile slots to not have a discard rule. Odds are you wont fire it more than 3 times anyway unless you got a bunch of dudes with it (5 bombers?) as pretty much any single or paired ordnance user tends to go up pretty quick.

You also wouldn't be able to Palp your rockets? 

What are people thinking for the exhaustable card "intensity"? Maybe something that let's you perform actions/Red maneuvers when stressed, and then you flip to exhaust it? 

3 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

This is my gut feel on it.  Start of combat gain a focus or evade token.  Then end of combat flip it back up with an unused token.

Might be both. 

Combat phase you can gain a focus and an evade but flip the card. End of turn you can flip it back over by spending a token. I reckon it will either be 0 or 1 point.

I like this idea as if you did need to burn both, you can't do it again next turn as your pilot would be "exhausted" however if the situation wasn't as bad as you thought and you still have a token left over, you can flip it. 

Put it on Poe or Soontir. 

2 minutes ago, Viktus106 said:

Might be both. 

Combat phase you can gain a focus and an evade but flip the card. End of turn you can flip it back over by spending a token. I reckon it will either be 0 or 1 point.

I like this idea as if you did need to burn both, you can't do it again next turn as your pilot would be "exhausted" however if the situation wasn't as bad as you thought and you still have a token left over, you can flip it. 

Put it on Poe or Soontir. 

Almost certainly terrible on Soontir because PTL.

Probably great on Poe because unless you're using R5P9 (and why woudl you these days when HotCoP exists) you have a good chance of keeping your focus token until the end of the round to flip it back.

Will remain to be seen whether it is what we think though.

On 2017-03-15 at 8:39 PM, DarthEnderX said:

I still need TIE Hunter, TIE Oppressor and TIE Avenger to be satisfied.

AND Sith Infiltrator with the little probes that could serve as blockers or maybe reduce AGI/debuff.

Would also be nice to have the psycho infiltration droid from Rebels (EXD-9). In one episode (Secret Cargo), it has a pretty cool ship. The Ghost tries to hide from it in an asteroid field. As a ship it could be another cloaker like the ghost but cheaper, less maneuverable and/or with fewer atck dices. As a crew it would be a debuffer/buffer or an information gatherer. Maybe a 2 pts intelligence agent at range 1-3?

SC.jpg

Edited by Thormind

On 16.3.2017 at 10:33 AM, Managarmr said:

I am not a native speaker. Thus , reading it now I see, its not totally clear want I meant. I meant: Jonus is not working. Unguided rockets says only Focus modding possible, albeit slightly strangely formulated, intentionally just to exclude anything else than focus.

Now people could argue that it's not clear which card overrides which, thus: "Jonus overrides the rocket's restriction", but the text on the rocket card takes precedence I'd say. And thats's probably going to be corroborated in a coming FAQ.

Yeah, it makes me cry a little, because it would have been such a wonderful list. 

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!49:-1,-1,231,-1,-1:-1:-1:;49:-1,-1,231,-1,-1:-1:-1:;49:-1,-1,231,-1,-1:-1:-1:;49:-1,-1,231,-1,-1:-1:-1:;51:140,-1,-1,-1,231,-1:-1:31:&sn=Tears for useless Jonus

On 19/03/2017 at 5:26 PM, SEApocalypse said:

Yeah, it's probably that exact list why they banned it... What with it being five tougher-than-kithraxzes managing five 3 die shots - 4 of them with super-howlrunner - on the joust.

It'd be... effective... alright. ;)

On March 16, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Vineheart01 said:

Well missiles irl that are basically dumbfire are significantly smaller/cheaper than guided ones. I dont know the exact sizes but i'd wager you could fit probably 50% more rockets in the same slotted space the guided ones took up. Or more precisely, both the guided ones took up since its eating 2 missile slots to not have a discard rule. Odds are you wont fire it more than 3 times anyway unless you got a bunch of dudes with it (5 bombers?) as pretty much any single or paired ordnance user tends to go up pretty quick.

The Unguided rockets remind me of the rocket pods on the Apache, carrying 2-3 times the individual warheads than the Hellfire missiles that can be fit onto a hardpoint.  From my days of flying around on a Tandy 1000sx