TheHumanHydra

Warped Wings

Hello,

Well, I broke my first miniature today. Panel off a TIE/fo. Looks like it shouldn't be too hard to repair.

This had me checking my other minis for damage, though, and I discovered one of the panels on a TIE Interceptor is mildly warped - it bends slightly out compared to the top one, though there's no sign of stress in the plastic.

Do you think this is something I did to the model somehow, or do they sometimes come this way? I'm not sure I looked closely enough to notice it before, if it did come like that. It's not a big deal, as, again, it's not noticeable except from really close; I'm just wondering if I need to refine my storage or handling techniques.

Some are a bit wonky. If you open a new one and it's noticeably warped, bent or damaged, then either return it to where you bought it or contact FFG.

I've seen one U-Wing with an engine that had fallen off, fortunately just before I bought it and showed it to the store manager.

And I've reglued several ships which have broken in clumsy hands.

I've had Interceptors (royal guard) broken in package. Super glue fixed it quite easily.

As for slightly warped ships, I could see a heat gun and delicate fingers making it better, but there's the potential for serious damage.

I've had 2 Interceptors break in the one game before (5 cm drop onto foam...).

Thanks for the information, everyone. My father (who does modelling) says the Interceptor was likely taken out of the mould at the factory too quickly. Good to know I'm not doing anything to them. The TIE wing is now setting; thankfully, it snapped inside the socket (where it seems to have been glued in originally), so it was easy for him to fit back together and I don't think it really looks any different. Good on FFG for their great product support. I will keep that in mind in case I ever pick up any minis that turn out to be seriously damaged.

Edited by TheHumanHydra

I've had at least one tie fighter lose a wing.  And my tie punisher lost BOTH it's wings.  Also had a few x-wing and b-wing cannons snap off.  Luckily I was able to fix all of those with some super glue and patience.  The only thing I haven't been able to fix is the front cannons on my kwing as they were so tiny I don't' know where they went after snapping off.

I also have a messed up wing on my imp raider as well unfortunately.  Tried bending it back to no avail.

3 hours ago, markcsoul said:

I've had at least one tie fighter lose a wing.  And my tie punisher lost BOTH it's wings.  Also had a few x-wing and b-wing cannons snap off.  Luckily I was able to fix all of those with some super glue and patience.  The only thing I haven't been able to fix is the front cannons on my kwing as they were so tiny I don't' know where they went after snapping off.

I also have a messed up wing on my imp raider as well unfortunately.  Tried bending it back to no avail.

Your poor Punisher ...

On 14/03/2017 at 1:46 AM, weisguy119 said:

My Raider came with a warped interceptor wing, or whatever they are.  I just pretend it's battle damage.

Yeah, mine too! I tried using very hot water, soaking the affected panels for a while. Once they are warm and malleable, I bent them straight (gently!). The first try, they just reverted straight back to bent... The second time, I set up a jig to hold them straight until they cooled. This gave me a much better result. Looking at them now you'd almost think they were perfectly straight! ;)

As far as wings popping off, I've recently been leaving my model bag in the boot of the car and I've had 2 different models break at glue points so I do wonder if the glue FFG use becomes brittle at low temperatures.  Luckily they've fixed very easy with a dab of super glue.

Just  now, I used a hair dryer on my warped Raider wing thingy and gently bent it straight.  Then, I cooled it in the freezer a quick bit before storing it with an old rectangular pencil eraser, that happened to be just the right size, wedged between the wing and the frame to help it keep its shape for the long haul.  If you try it, use the hair dryer like you would a spraypaint can - about the same distance away with a back and forth sweeping motion until the plastic gets warm enough to reshape.  Don't focus on one place too long or you might damage the material.  For mine, it didn't take much to make it pliable.  Cooling it in the freezer quick helps "lock" it in place.  My wing wasn't warped all that much (maybe close to a quarter of an inch inward) so YMMV.  It was really a fairly quick and simple process and I wish I'd done it sooner.

For the Wing on the TIE F/O use some Loctite 404, sets in 30 seconds then place the good wing towards the table and let it sit that was for at least 12 hours so the glue fully cures. I like Loctite 404 because it sets quick and will hold in place until the glue is fully cured.

As for what sounds like a defective TIE Interceptor, I would contact FFG (theres a link to claim a defective product under the support section of this site) write a brief description of the issue, provide proof of purchase and pictures and 9 out of 10 times they will send you a new model. They did it once for a defective A-Wing I bought and a Y-Wing that looked more like a V lol. Pictures is the real key tho.