I have seen some awesome debris fields models, and I was wondering how people do it.  The ways I have mostly seen have involved actual armada models (which I really don't want to destroy).  What else have people done?  Maybe pieces from other games or other models?  I'd love to see pictures as well!

8 minutes ago, Tiberius the Killer said:

I have seen some awesome debris fields models, and I was wondering how people do it.  The ways I have mostly seen have involved actual armada models (which I really don't want to destroy).  What else have people done?  Maybe pieces from other games or other models?  I'd love to see pictures as well!

Well for Gothic (before the big clearout of '08) I had some hard styrene packing blocks, hot wired into vaguely potato shapes, then splashed with styrene cement which melts in convincing craters to make asteroids.  I even made a space slug out of green stuff for that one.  I might remake.

I might sacrifice a VSD and/or a Frigate to the scenery gods at some point.  There's a few "boxbreakers" about who just sell the miniatures, or guys on ebay who tried and didn't like to source parts.  I try not to support boxbreakers though.  Watch parts, old PCBs, styrene sheets can all fill voids to form convincing-looking ship internals.  There's always styrene sheet modelling too, pizza wedges aren't too hard to duplicate if all you mean to do is scatter bits of them.

I bought some old models from the WotC Starship Battles game for mine.

Something I didn't consider was buying cheap ship models from the Rebellion board game on eBay.

My method was time consuming and probably as expensive as buying from combatzone or eBay. Maybe if you used my finished product as a guide you could be more efficient, but I think either of those would be a good option.