Refugeanoth

Royal Guard V-Wing squadron ready to defend the Emperor.

2 hours ago, Refugeanoth said:

Their only supposed armament according to the sources I've looked at shows them with 2 Twin laser cannons and Some were equipped with Flak guns and Proton bombs. No sort of missile loadout, but hey, nothing saying they couldn't have been modified to carry them. 

Yup, V-wings are basically A-wings with Astros instead of missiles. It should be noted though that V-wings did have limited shields, but not sure how that works with balance.

I want, they are beautiful, where did you get them?

as for what i think their rules could be:

V-Wing:

2 firepower, 3 agility, 4 hull, 1 Shield

Focus, Target Lock, Barrel Roll, Evade

Rockets, Astromech slots

18 pts

and i'd give it a dial similar to the TIE Fighter

tougher than a TIE fighter but by no means outperforms other imperial ships, and has a unique nitch as an imperial astromech carrier, though i'd limit it to generic droids (Untill rebel droids are changed to rebels only)

The V-wing is gonna end up being a TIE with a shield and a possible astromech-like upgrade.  It really works better as Scum for more purposes in this game, with the Eta-2 being the 'imperial CW fighter' with the ARC already going to rebels.  And that would take care of the Rots ships.  Next we can try to squeeze the animated series for all the moist and juicy canon ships we are missing.

thqt said the Royal Guard paint scheme is awesome on those V-wings, much better than that ugly airspeeder.  And with the V-wing we need the rebel T-wing and we have a huge chunk of the alphabet done.  Could the supremely hideous H-wing be too far away?

3 hours ago, Refugeanoth said:

Could be cool to see a small fast ship with a bomb, cannon and astromech slot. 

For the V-Wing, I'm thinking bomb slot and torpedo slot (for EM), with a zero point torpedo slot upgrade that lets you add a non unique 2 points or fewer Astromech or salvaged Astromech.

3 hours ago, mad mandolorian said:

I want, they are beautiful, where did you get them?

as for what i think their rules could be:

V-Wing:

2 firepower, 3 agility, 4 hull, 1 Shield

Focus, Target Lock, Barrel Roll, Evade

Rockets, Astromech slots

18 pts

and i'd give it a dial similar to the TIE Fighter

tougher than a TIE fighter but by no means outperforms other imperial ships, and has a unique nitch as an imperial astromech carrier, though i'd limit it to generic droids (Untill rebel droids are changed to rebels only)

20170312_120429.jpg

Came out of a rots micro machine set I came across on clearance at kohl's of all places. This is what the model looks like out of the box. 

Dig the stats! I need to upscale the ships substantially to make them competitive against the pilots in my squad, but I still dig your layout. 

11 hours ago, Punning Pundit said:

For the V-Wing, I'm thinking bomb slot and torpedo slot (for EM), with a zero point torpedo slot upgrade that lets you add a non unique 2 points or fewer Astromech or salvaged Astromech.

It seems the empire skewed away from astromechs with their V-wing variant, regardless, a cheap double bomb carrying, astromech weilding fast attack ship would be very cool.

12 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

The V-wing is gonna end up being a TIE with a shield and a possible astromech-like upgrade.  It really works better as Scum for more purposes in this game, with the Eta-2 being the 'imperial CW fighter' with the ARC already going to rebels.  And that would take care of the Rots ships.  Next we can try to squeeze the animated series for all the moist and juicy canon ships we are missing.

thqt said the Royal Guard paint scheme is awesome on those V-wings, much better than that ugly airspeeder.  And with the V-wing we need the rebel T-wing and we have a huge chunk of the alphabet done.  Could the supremely hideous H-wing be too far away?

One can dare to dream! lol

3 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

I love the 'torp' upgrade that opens up a droid socket for nonuniques.  Not too wild about the dial or the one red die, but the 'fix' for single red die ships is nice.  

Thanks! It's very much a work in progress, I've been thinking about it for a few days, but only got around to actually laying it out when I had 30min before running to work. I agree that the dial needs some serious work.

Fun fact: for about 1.5 seconds after I designed the Torpedo/Droid card, the sloops were 2 speed. 

The 1 red die was designed to answer the question "how do I make this obviously inferior to a TIE fighter, yet still able to put out damage?" 

Dial issues aside: would you fly these stats at PS2 at 13 points (the extra point is for the title)? 

Don't like the torp/droid (just give them droid) or pinpoint targeting. 

Make them a tie with a slightly faster dial, TL, and a droid... keep it simple.  Imperial Droids or just the ability to take generics from other factions with a different dial and TL will make the interesting enough. 

And good named pilots... with EPTs!

Ok, i self-identify as a bit of a V-Wing canon expert. Information gleaned from the Stay on Target sourcebook, amongst many other sources.

I feel the need to point out that the V-Wing is pretty clearly and objectively superior to the TIE Fighter in most respects.

Shielding, a sturdy hull, dual twin rapid-fire laser cannons give it respectable firepower, not quite on par to an X-Wing but definitely superior to a TIE Fighter, Z-95, A-Wing etc. I'd give it 3 attack, personally. It's faster than an X-Wing, not quite as fast as a TIE Fighter though. About as maneuverable as a TIE Fighter, though. Additionally, it has an Astromech. The sole reason the TIE Fighter phased it out was that 1 TIE Fighter cost half what it cost to produce a V-Wing. And 2 TIE Fighters > 1 V-Wing.

Canonically it hasn't got ANY ordnance. No missiles or bombs or anything. But an upgrade card to give it that, like a Rebel Refit or whatever would be fine.

Now i've definitely said this before, but during the timeframe of X-Wing, that being, during the Galactic Civil War, the V-Wing hasn't been in Imperial Service for over a decade and a half. The factions more likely to use V-Wings are Scum and the Rebels. I pose evidence from Rogue One: Catalyst, where the last Venators and ARC-170s from a backwater Imperial QRF are deployed into battle for likely the last time.... just over a year after the end of the Clone Wars. It explains that what would later become known as Imperial-Class Star Destroyers had actually been under construction at Kuat for some time, and the TIE Fighter was already in development. Giving a maximum of 4-5 years post-Clone Wars for V-Wing service, the V-Wing will have been out of Imperial Service for 15 years by the time of ANH.

This is also convenient since Imperials will literally never get Astromechs. They'd have create new Astromechs for the ONLY SHIP the Imperials will ever have that'd use Astromechs, and since no more Imp ships with Astromechs exist, those will be the only ones it'll ever use. Or they give it to Scum or Rebels and guarantee that the ship has good options. I mean, consider this.

Say it gets released to Imperials, with some card or clause that says it can only use generic astromechs.

R2: If the V-Wing needs R2, it's dial probably sucks and it's DOA.

R3: Pfft. Ok.

R5: For it's 2 or 3 hull? Ok.

R7: Because what we need to give Imperials is a 3 agility, shielded ship with Palp in the same faction that has the evade action the ability to dodge even more damage. Right.

Targetting Astromech: Please. Ships that this 'mech was designed for don't even use it.

Additionally, FFG would now have to balance all future Astromech cards knowing that the V-wing could have it, and the Astromech slot would never get any good Astromechs ever again.

And also consider, that what, exactly, would the V-Wing give to the Empire? Another 3 attack, high AGI-low HP interceptor at an aggressive cost with a good dial? The design space is filled to the gills, and the only faction to not have something like that is the Rebel Alliance. Just saying. Additionally, timeline-wise, that also makes the most sense. Considering that Stay on Target, the Age of Rebellion Pilot sourcebook has the V-Wing in it as a flyable ship for Rebels.

Anyways, here's my headcanon statline:

Rebel Alliance

3 ATT, 3 AGI, 3 HULL, 1 SHIELD

Astromech

Focus, Boost, Evade

1db9f6219178d19d9f60a4f0f7ae0ff4.png

PS1 Cost: 19 points

Rebel Alliance Retrofit:

Add the Target Lock action to your action bar. Add the missile upgrade icon to your upgrade bar.

2 points

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

On 3/12/2017 at 6:03 PM, Refugeanoth said:

Their only supposed armament according to the sources I've looked at shows them with 2 Twin laser cannons and Some were equipped with Flak guns and Proton bombs. No sort of missile loadout, but hey, nothing saying they couldn't have been modified to carry them. 

the "flak guns" and bombs are non-canon (and should have been even under the old EU).. they only appear in the battlefront II derived games , where the V-wing got shoehorned into the 'bomber' role due mainly to lack of other fighter options from RotS. (the Eta-2 became the A-wing equivalent, the ARC-170 the X-wing equivalent, and thus the V-wing became the Y-wing equivalent. that this made no sense, as the ARC clearly should have been the bomber, and the V-wing the interceptor, seems to have been ignored by the developers of the game) aside from those game appearances, they are equipped with lasers only.

that said, a title card, or a chardaan refit type card that gives it a secondary weapon option in place of the droid slot would certainly work.

Edited by mithril2098

Wave XI:

V-wing for scum

T-wing for Rebs 

MUTHAFAQING GUNBOAT for imps.

and V-wing should be:

att 3

agi 3

hull 3

shield 1

Focus, B-roll, Evade

Trash-tromech slot

A-wing-like dial without 5 straight and maybe sloops instead of k-turn.  Nothing too crazy.  19 pts for PS 2?  

Edited by GrimmyV

I think I'm going to do a redesign of my V-Wing in the next few days, with @GrimmyV and @Razgriz25thinf feedback in mind. 

I will say that I categorically refuse to give it a 2 attack. However! I'mgoing to give it a title that gives it a bonus for attacking from outside the defender's firing arc. Either a second shot, or a 3rd die. Not yet sure which. 

14 hours ago, Punning Pundit said:

I think I'm going to do a redesign of my V-Wing in the next few days, with @GrimmyV and @Razgriz25thinf feedback in mind. 

I will say that I categorically refuse to give it a 2 attack. However! I'mgoing to give it a title that gives it a bonus for attacking from outside the defender's firing arc. Either a second shot, or a 3rd die. Not yet sure which. 

I'm assuming you refuse to give it 3 attack. I mean, it's your choice, but i will say that at 2 attack, the Empire has even less of a reason to have it. And they really don't have much of a reason to have it at all. 

I would personally give it an additional die for firing out of arc if that's where you're going with it. 2 dice attacks are pretty worthless even still, two 2 dice attacks really don't make a huge difference. It's not just a matter of me thinking the V-Wing deserves 3 ATT, but also because with no missiles or ordnance, it'll have nothing to convince anyone to actually use it. So any V-Wing i mock up will have 3 attack, saving the title space for something else. But that's just me. 

Anyways, the +1 die from out of arc sounds....usable. The additional attack really doesn't, except as a good way to use R3-A2.

You know what might be neat...

You could keep the base stat at 2, right? Keep the base cost low, say 14-15 points. Then introduce a Rebel Alliance Upgrade title for 4-5 points that adds +1 to it's attack, maybe with other bonuses. That way you have the choice of running a cheap blocker ship, maybe with missiles, or splurging on the +1 attack and getting more of a TIE Interceptor type ship, which Rebels are sorely lacking.

Edited by Razgriz25thinf