Disengage lets you run away completely?  I don't need to be at a certain range or anything?  I may not have been clear before. I'm fighting someone and want to run away. So I use my maneuver to back up to medium range and then they close to short. We keep doing this forever. At what point do I get to say combat is over and I've escaped?

Ahh, sorry, misunderstood the question.

There are a couple of options for you:

1. You get into a vehicle and speed off, leaving them in their dust.
  2. You make some kind of climb/jump that your pursuer is unable to do themselves.
  3. The Gm chooses not to chase for whatever reason.

But the best option IMHO is:

4.  The GM sees this as an opportunity to use the Chase rules, and begins the chase with you at Short range from your pursuer.

One-roll resolution, with the "victory" being replaced by "escape" and the Difficulty (plus upgrades and boosts/setbacks) determined by how bad the situation is. Your character's will get away, but they might pick up some wounds and/or some critical hits in the process (which may actually result in some being captured if they exceed a threshold or are taken out by a critical hit).

3 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

And lets not forget the old flip a destiny.

Generally, I would not allow this as a "get out of encounter free" option, but I would allow it to upgrade a check on the one-roll resolution that I mentioned.

Edited by HappyDaze

Just now, HappyDaze said:

Generally, I would not allow this as a "get out of encounter free" option, but I would allow it to upgrade checks on the one-roll resolution that I mentioned.

True, it shouldn't immediately allow escape, but instead open the path for escape to happen.

I would run it the same way as the chase rules suggest, once you are beyond extreme, they lost you. At least for now. A good chance to show some parkour tricks and makes escape easy as it should be when combat is started at long or even extreme range by a sniper. 

You run through an area then flip  a DP to say that the area you just passed through is rough terrain, but you were lucky enough to get through it either before it becomes rought terrain (pulling down the market stall trick) or the grass suddenly becomes wet becuase of the barrel of water you just pulled over that happened to be sitting there. DP can be used in lots of ways.