Crabbok

We will get Super Star Destroyers in 2018 - Prediction

I think a Super Star Destroyer is too big to look right to scale to the size of an X-Wing Raider.

But!  What about something the size of the Resurgence class from Ep. 9, at the size of an X-Wing Gozanti/GR-75?  It would still be nice and gigantic (being twice the length of an ImpStar), but fit better mechanically on a 6x3 table, because a base the size of the Raider/CR-90 would have major problems with it's yaw making the rear of the base sweep ships aside.

59 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Too late. I can't fit a CR-90 in the launch bay of an Imperial Class Star Destroyer. And I can't get that out of my head after seeing the first movie. 

Seriously strict adherence to scale for both X-wing and Armada has been abandoned completely. You argument that "It would be bigger in real life" is a moot point by now. Totally irrelevant, and has no place here. Heck even the proportions of the Armada ISD is out of scale especially when comparing it to the Die-cast souvenirs that Disney sells which could be fitted to the large armada base.

The difference between the CR90 and the Executor being downsized to the size of a Raider is not even a close comparison. The CR90 is about twice the size it should be and the Executor would be about 1/8 of the size it should be. 

If you dont like hearing that that is your business and your right but you still haven't addressed the Bridge issue I mentioned. And after the long SSD thread I know nothing I say will change your mind and nothing you say will change mine either. So here we are in the exact same position as the last twenty some threads about the SSD since the forum started in the exact same discussion. 

Circle of life man.

3 minutes ago, Beatty said:

The difference between the CR90 and the Executor being downsized to the size of a Raider is not even a close comparison. The CR90 is about twice the size it should be and the Executor would be about 1/8 of the size it should be. 

If you dont like hearing that that is your business and your right but you still haven't addressed the Bridge issue I mentioned. And after the long SSD thread I know nothing I say will change your mind and nothing you say will change mine either. So here we are in the exact same position as the last twenty some threads about the SSD since the forum started in the exact same discussion. 

Circle of life man.

Actually the CR-90 would be a third of its size. but yeah you say you don't want to see it because of scaling. I say scaling is already gone in Armada, so it doesn't bother you. I do find it funny you are upset about on set of scaling but not the other. Oh well to each their own I guess.

But just because you don't want something doesn't mean that the rest of us should be denied  the opportunity to at least make our requests.

Edited by Marinealver

Always makes me laugh when I see arguments about "Realism" that it would bug someone if FFG made something a certain way and how strong the opinions are on either side.  So comical when taken in context that people are bothered by the size of the space ships yet totally fine that its a space game played on a 2 dimensional plane.

I want them to release the SSD on a large base with the model roughly the same size as an ISD just so I can watch the nerd rage,,,

Edited by PartyPotato

People go on and on about the models and scaling and it's not right. The models dont even matter in this game, they are just the shiny. What actually matters is the base its on and the arcs that are printed.

Lets look at in game examples of why scale is unimportant in the game.

The CR90 corvetter is 126 meters long. The Nebulon B is 300 meters long. The MC30 Frigate is 580 meters long. And yep the models are slightly different sizes but the bases, that we measure movement and arcs from are the same size.

An ISD is 1600 meters long. Home One is 1200m long. Again the bases which are far more important to the game than the models are the same size.

Two CR90 corvettes end to end would be 252 meters long. Combined. End to end. Yet in the scale of this game two CR90's end to end exceed the length of an ISD which should be the entire length of Home One longer them.

Do not get me started on the sizes of the fighters. Two TIE Fighters are bigger than an ISD bridge. The Falcon can no longer hide itself on the back of the tower, it doesn't fit.

I think FFG have hamstrung themselves by limiting the game to three base sizes. I understand it's cost effective but each ship type should have it's own sized base. 

I'd like to see the SSD in the game, with a decent rebel equivalent as a form of epic play. I believe it will happen regardless of the nay sayers because of profit. It could also be a way to introduce different base sizes. A Mon Remonda shaped vessel should have more of a square base, or the rectangle base turned 90's so the movement notch is on the short side.

Edited by Teloch

10 minutes ago, Admiral Theia said:

I actually like that idea of differently sized/shaped bases to make some things really unique.  Think of how different a wider (relative to length) based ship would fly than our standard rectangles!

Not to mention they get the whole shape and actual size through abstraction. The dots can be placed closer to the stem for smaller ships and arcs can be adjusted for shape. So even though the base size of the Star cruiser and ISD are the same size, the dots and arcs give it just enough of a difference to sort of capture that feeling.

Edited by Marinealver

2 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

So even though the base size of the Star cruiser and ISD are the same size, the dots and arcs give it just enough of a difference to sort of capture that feeling.

So, not that they can't break from precedent, but currently, LoS dots are positioned in the same spot on all bases of a given size. It's only arc lines that vary from token to token.

Edited by Ardaedhel

1 hour ago, Teloch said:

People go on and on about the models and scaling and it's not right. The models dont even matter in this game, they are just the shiny. What actually matters is the base its on and the arcs that are printed.

Lets look at in game examples of why scale is unimportant in the game.

The CR90 corvetter is 126 meters long. The Nebulon B is 300 meters long. The MC30 Frigate is 580 meters long. And yep the models are slightly different sizes but the bases, that we measure movement and arcs from are the same size.

An ISD is 1600 meters long. Home One is 1200m long. Again the bases which are far more important to the game than the models are the same size.

Two CR90 corvettes end to end would be 252 meters long. Combined. End to end. Yet in the scale of this game two CR90's end to end exceed the length of an ISD which should be the entire length of Home One longer them.

Do not get me started on the sizes of the fighters. Two TIE Fighters are bigger than an ISD bridge. The Falcon can no longer hide itself on the back of the tower, it doesn't fit.

I think FFG have hamstrung themselves by limiting the game to three base sizes. I understand it's cost effective but each ship type should have it's own sized base. 

I'd like to see the SSD in the game, with a decent rebel equivalent as a form of epic play. I believe it will happen regardless of the nay sayers because of profit. It could also be a way to introduce different base sizes. A Mon Remonda shaped vessel should have more of a square base, or the rectangle base turned 90's so the movement notch is on the short side.

'Average' MC80 = 1200m........ Home One, depending on the source, is up to 3000m :D

i generally agree though, the scaling is off, so what? It still looks amazing and they are called models for a reason, the bases are the most important part for gameplay and FFG has done it pretty well

4 minutes ago, DrakonLord said:

'Average' MC80 = 1200m........ Home One, depending on the source, is up to 3000m :D

i generally agree though, the scaling is off, so what? It still looks amazing and they are called models for a reason, the bases are the most important part for gameplay and FFG has done it pretty well

I took all my stats from wookiepedia, maybe not the most accurate source, but it was close enough for my arguments ;)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Home_One

3000 meters? Bloody hell thats almost as long as 2 ISD's!

Also on the topic of the Viscount Class Star Defender, that could easily make it's way into Rebels canon in the next season. Just have Phoenix Squadron (because apperantley nothing happens in the SW universe without them doing it) drop off parts to a super secret project to find out that said project is the Viscount Class still being built. Imperials attack the barley running Viscount puts up an epic battle, Chopper saves the day and it hyper spaces out at the last minute to effect repairs and finish building it. Should be ready just after Endor. What about Jakku you ask? Eh, that's a problem for another writer/show

Edited by Teloch

12 minutes ago, Teloch said:

I took all my stats from wookiepedia, maybe not the most accurate source, but it was close enough for my arguments ;)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Home_One

3000 meters? Bloody hell thats almost as long as 2 ISD's!

Oh yeah, not putting you down for it :) and that's the reaction I had when I read 3000m hahaha the official sources say 1,200m but quite a few people have done on screen analysis and shown that the home one must be bigger than that. I could be wrong though (almost certainly haha)

official sources put it at 1,200m, but it is shown on screen to be much bigger, might not be home one, but it is a home one style

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1480277/random-useless-thought-about-home-one-size

The newest official source, Rebels, has Behind the Scenes info showing a comparison pic between Home One and an ISD. That pic depicts the Home One silhouette as slightly longer than the ISD silhouette - 

http://www.starwars.com/tv-shows/star-wars-rebels/secret-cargo-behind-the-scenes-gallery

estimates of it, being around 1.9 km.

4 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

The newest official source, Rebels, has Behind the Scenes info showing a comparison pic between Home One and an ISD. That pic depicts the Home One silhouette as slightly longer than the ISD silhouette - 

http://www.starwars.com/tv-shows/star-wars-rebels/secret-cargo-behind-the-scenes-gallery

estimates of it, being around 1.9 km.

Interesting comparison, especially since it looks to be about as high as an ISD is from base to base of tower, but it does explicitly say "Concept Art"

Edited by Teloch

7 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

The rage one or two people will have when the ssd is released will make for a few interesting Ben or admiral Neilson style rage quitting rants when it is finally released.  Never go full Ben.

Ben doesn't rant or rage quit he causes others to rant and rage quit. Always remember if you see Ben across the table from you your entire fleet is mere seconds from utter destruction.

Assuming you all are right and we are getting a SSD, let me ask the most important question.   How much do you think this will run me?  If large based ships are around 40, is this going to cost closer to 80?

2 hours ago, mcworrell said:

Assuming you all are right and we are getting a SSD, let me ask the most important question.   How much do you think this will run me?  If large based ships are around 40, is this going to cost closer to 80?

My guess would be between 75 to 100 dollars.

On 3/11/2017 at 4:40 PM, Jukey said:

If it were about the same size as a raider from xwing I think I'd be very happy to have an SSD. The sliding scale would be appropriate enough for me. In general, I just want one. Price matters not.

Definitely agree. There isn't anyway they release this thing at even remotely close to a reasonable price and I don't buy 2. Just as a display piece of be happy with the purchase let alone actually getting to play with it. Roughly around the size of the raider at about $100 would be great.

There is one type of scaling formula that makes sense for this application, and it is logarithmic. When I measured the ships, they conformed pretty closely to a logarthmic function (certainly closer overall than any linear function). I did the math before and don't remember the exact numbers, but I want to say the SSD would be in the 24-36" range. I haven't done the math since Wave 2 though, we have a lot more data points now.

I could measure all the new ships and write up a post on the scaling of Armada based purely on facts and mathematics if people are interested.

Two large base back to back should be alwright for the base of the SSD or the Viscount or the Bulwark for a Epic size ship.

In the last SSD thread, there was one SSD with this kind of base and it was something that can be play on the table.

Maybe not ''realistic'' for someone looking for the right scale, but at least, we could have our SSD :)

Bring me my SSD!!!