Crabbok

We will get Super Star Destroyers in 2018 - Prediction

In the Aftermath books they have talked at length about Super Star Destroyers.  There are three Executor Class Super Star Star Destroyers that are mentioned alot.

Executor - The one we all know and love.

Ravager - The one from Jakku - Rey and Finn flew through this one. 

Annihilator - This one was stolen by Pirates and could possibly be a rebel SSD, since these pirates are described as being rather kind and almost benevolent.  

Also in the latest book, Empire's End...

The Eclipse is talked about heavily.  It was sent away from the empire to be the first ship to form the First Order.  This book confirmed that the First Order had the Eclipse and it was barely used at the time, so very likely it will still be in service for the remaining two films. 

I would seriously bet you we will see the Eclipse in Episode 8.  I believe it was mentioned in Aftermath specifically for that reason.  

And if the First Order has a SSD - there's a very real chance the resistance or remnants of the New Republic might eventually show up with something similar.  

So we've seen alot of talk of SSDs lately in the books, and I'm certain Episode 8 will have at least one if not several.   Corellian Conflict proved a nice alternate way to play, and could have been a test to see how well 500 point games will go....  All of these things make me think we're going to see Super Star Destroyers  next year.  Maybe announced in December or January of 2018 for a summer release?  

Edited by Crabbok

I'm still hesitant, but I also have faith that FFG would do it right if they do it at all, so fingers crossed.

Meanwhile I want the Mon Remonda (or some other MC80b) to show up.  Then again it's only a matter of time until we get the MC75, so 4 mon cal large ships (heck, 4 large ships period) for the Rebels may be a bit too much.

I wish, but I don't think we will see one as a ship model, possibly some abstract off-the-map entity or a token that represents it. I wish the models in Armada were smaller, much smaller. they would presumably be cheaper, could accommodate these great large vessels, and maybe Armada could be played on a 3x3 mat.

I think you're right. We'll see them sometime. They'll cost a fortune and they'll be lots of fun. 

However, let me unleash my nerd rage for a moment. Jovial pirates...stole a super star destroyer? Aren't there thousands and thousands of personnel aboard each one? How could a group of cheerful pirates possibly have the resources to pull that off? I doubt the Rebels would even have the manpower to keep one, but Johnny Depp does? These are the shenanigans that make the Empire look like Keystone Cops...and it implies the new expanded universe will have just as much dumb stuff as the old one  

/nerdrantover 

Edited by KevinBakon

22 minutes ago, KevinBakon said:

I think you're right. We'll see them sometime. They'll cost a fortune and they'll be lots of fun. 

However, let me unleash my nerd rage for a moment. Jovial pirates...stole a super star destroyer? Aren't there thousands and thousands of personnel aboard each one? How could a group of cheerful pirates possibly have the resources to pull that off? I doubt the Rebels would even have the manpower to keep one, but Johnny Depp does? These are the shenanigans that make the Empire look like Keystone Cops...and it implies the new expanded universe will have just as much dumb stuff as the old one  

/nerdrantover 

Unless you infiltrate it during it's final phases at a shipyard when it has a skeleton crew. At least that would make more sense. Or half the crew are dissenters

I think you are close to correct. 

I am still a firm believer that the SSD is SWM20, and my sig said as much untilit was so rudely removed. That it was developed in tandem with CC & wave 5, and is to be the flagship release of the Epic Scale Armada line. This is also why it is depicted on 2 of the Pelta's Fleet Command upgrade cards. The fourth, the one that centers on the Concentrate Fire command, will come with the SSD, as will the long delayed Admiral Piett.

No I have absolutely no proof, but I am convinced it is the case. ;)

40 minutes ago, Thraug said:

I wish, but I don't think we will see one as a ship model, possibly some abstract off-the-map entity or a token that represents it. I wish the models in Armada were smaller, much smaller. they would presumably be cheaper, could accommodate these great large vessels, and maybe Armada could be played on a 3x3 mat.

I disagree with you here.  I love the larger models and I'm eager for even larger models.  I think super star destroyers on shelves would sell like hot cakes - even to non-players just for the beauty of it.  

36 minutes ago, KevinBakon said:

/nerdrantover 

Well they do kind of explain it in the books.  They liberate folks and basically recruit a larger crew as time goes by.   

It does kinda remind you of a Disney movie though - space pirates singing inspirational songs!

13 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

I think you are close to correct. 

I am still a firm believer that the SSD is SWM20, and my sig said as much untilit was so rudely removed. That it was developed in tandem with CC & wave 5, and is to be the flagship release of the Epic Scale Armada line. This is also why it is depicted on 2 of the Pelta's Fleet Command upgrade cards. The fourth, the one that centers on the Concentrate Fire command, will come with the SSD, as will the long delayed Admiral Piett.

No I have absolutely no proof, but I am convinced it is the case. ;)

And of course the continued absence of the Emperor...

I still predict we won't see the Executor because it's still too big for the scale of the game. But nothing wrong with wishlisting as long as everyone understands we don't always get what we want.

Another SSD is still likely.

Edited by Beatty

I think it will all depend on how the sales have gone for the Epic X-wing ships.  If those made money, then we will eventually see an SSD in Armada.

Related tidbit: apparently Disney shareholders were given the chance to see some clips of Episode 8.  Among them was Poe and some X-Wings flying through a Resistance fleet.  So, we may be in store for a nice fleet battle in this one.

If they want to make a Super Star Destroyer, i have no serious objections to it.  The Executor remains one of the most iconic ship designs out there. I just hope they do it right.  It should be a powerful ship, but not so powerful that it's an auto-win.  Something that as a rebel player, i look over at the table at and go, "well this should be an interesting fight" instead of "where's the nearest exit?"  :D

1 hour ago, MandoBard said:

Unless you infiltrate it during it's final phases at a shipyard when it has a skeleton crew. At least that would make more sense. Or half the crew are dissenters

half the crew is 125000 last I checked haha. Your first idea makes the most sense and is a direct repeat of how I believe Zjinj or whatever his stupid name was stole one. Or was it Issard? Someone tried to steal one haha

44 minutes ago, gredert said:

half the crew is 125000 last I checked haha. Your first idea makes the most sense and is a direct repeat of how I believe Zjinj or whatever his stupid name was stole one. Or was it Issard? Someone tried to steal one haha

Both Zjinj and Isard had one assigned to them, more or less. . . Zjinj had one under his command (Iron Fist) and Isard used the Emperor's personal get-away ship, the Lusankya. In Iron Fist, one of the X-Wing books, Zjinj tries to steal a second one (Razor's Kiss) from the Kuati Shipyards by having an infiltration crew capture the bridge and jump it to hyperspace, to a point where it could be picked up later.

Edited by NobodyInParticular

3 hours ago, Jukey said:

If it were about the same size as a raider from xwing I think I'd be very happy to have an SSD. The sliding scale would be appropriate enough for me. In general, I just want one. Price matters not.

Thats what Im thinking it will end up being. Same size based plate as the raider with a similar sized ship model just a bit longer. The size of the model doesnt even matter really in terms of gameplay just the base size.

Edited by Teloch

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 1:48 AM, KevinBakon said:

/nerdrantover 

Honestly i agree 100%, and even with a skeleton crew there would be what, about 20, 000 armed people aboard??? What did the pirates do, capture the bridge then vent the ENTIRE SHIP?!?!?!?!? Because i guarantee trying to fight that many, even with an equal number of pirates, should of damaged a lot of the ships systems, and even if u vented the entire ships, much structural damage would occour, as well as, you know, fighting across nearly 15-20km worth of ship, going room to room to make sure you didnt miss anyone and disabling droids you come across just in case.

I honestly cannot see any situation in which a group of pirates could steal a SSD (you know, the pride of any imperial fleet, well guarded incase of rebel insurgents) 

Or, when talking about a SSD are we talking about a oversized star destroyer, since the term SSD refers to any ship larger than a Imperial star destroyer?? If that is the case it is *Slightly* more believeable but still stupid sounding

Edited by DrakonLord

On 3/10/2017 at 9:28 AM, Crabbok said:

I disagree with you here.  I love the larger models and I'm eager for even larger models.  I think super star destroyers on shelves would sell like hot cakes - even to non-players just for the beauty of it.  

Well they do kind of explain it in the books.  They liberate folks and basically recruit a larger crew as time goes by.   

It does kinda remind you of a Disney movie though - space pirates singing inspirational songs!

That makes me queasy.

3 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

How do you get the crew to want to get off a SSD?

How do you get the crew to want to get off a Nuclear Submarine?

Read or watch Hunt for Red October, and it becomes a more believable scenario. ;)

Maybe, but is a nuclear submarine the size of a small city???? And how do you stage a reactor emergency on a SSD?

"Sir theres is a reactor emergency, somehow it has bypassed all 300 contingencies and is going to explode even if we shut it down"

"How did this happen?"

" a group of pirates somehow managed to make their way undiscovered into the highly guarded middle of the ship and stay undiscovered long enough to sabotage the reactor"

5 minutes ago, DrakonLord said:

Maybe, but is a nuclear submarine the size of a small city???? And how do you stage a reactor emergency on a SSD?

"Sir theres is a reactor emergency, somehow it has bypassed all 300 contingencies and is going to explode even if we shut it down"

"How did this happen?"

" a group of pirates somehow managed to make their way undiscovered into the highly guarded middle of the ship and stay undiscovered long enough to sabotage the reactor"

I think it was more likely that the command crew heard the horrible singing of the space pirates and accidentally hit the ship self-destruct as they were retching...