Green Knight

Vassal Freshman Spring 2017 Tournament

I think we should try something new: a tournament for those not already skilled with vassal, just to get the ball rolling. I'm thinking standard 3 rounds Swiss, nothing fancy. Minimum 8 players (no maximum). A week or so to play a round, so this thing is done in less than an month.Any level of RL skill is OK really, and it's OK to be familiar with Vassal. But no GK-level knowledge of the module or JJ-level play skills. So I guess most of you would be eligible. I'm also hoping some of the more experienced guys will be able to hang around a bit, offer some advice and maybe give people crash courses if needed.

Anyone interested?

Got this idea from @MattShadowlord actually; he was right in saying you get a lot of activity when there are tourneys running.

------

Tier: Casual.

Structure: Standard 3 round Swiss.

This means everyone plays 3 games, vs opponents with more or less matching skill level, no cut. Using Crydoex (a computer program) for pairings.

For the first round I'll pair ppl vs opponents in similar timezones (2 groups - US and Euro).

TO/Marshal: Green Knight.

Judges/coaches: Any experienced player(s) willing to hang around to guide/teach/rule.

Fleets: Standard 400 pt, everything up to and including wave 5 and CC. Objectives are secret, as per tourney rules.

Deadline to register: Sunday 19th

Deadline to submit fleet: Sunday 19th

Start date: TBA

------

HOW TO LEARN VASSAL

The most obvious answer is: try it.

The second most obvious answer is: get someone to teach you.

That said, here are some guides.

@comatose made a guide an put it on the FFG forums:

@BiggsIRL has a guide on his blog:

http://xwingtactics.blogspot.no/2015/08/vassal.html?m=1

In addition @Green Knight has made some video tutorials:

Tutorial 1 - How to get it running

Tutorial 2 - Setting up a game (and saving your fleet for later)

Tutorial 3: Basic play guide

Tutorial 4: Actual play example

Tutorial 5 (texted images):

Tutorial 6

Edited by Green Knight

That sounds great. We need more Vassal-Players!

However, the criteria given by you foil the name of the tournament. If you employ these two criteria it should simply be called the Vassal non-GK-JJ Spring 2017 Tournament.

Edited by Darth Veggie

This is a good idea. We're putting on a similar noobs' tourney IRL... I think it's a great way to get some of the newer players some confidence and experience without feeling like they're just gong to show up to be the whipping-boys for established people.

I'd call the restriction something like "never made an elimination cut or finished top half in a vassal tourney" or something like that.

My first vassal game was in the Wave 1 farewell tourney...five gsds coming at me at full speed. Scary.

I won, mostly dumb luck and overconfidence on my opponent's part. A 10-0 or something.

I was waaay up there and confident.

Then I met JJ (or was it gowtah?) and he ran assault frigate circles around me and kept double-arcing with Paragon.

A humbling experience - but we all have to start someplace.

10 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

This is a good idea. We're putting on a similar noobs' tourney IRL... I think it's a great way to get some of the newer players some confidence and experience without feeling like they're just gong to show up to be the whipping-boys for established people.

I'd call the restriction something like "never made an elimination cut or finished top half in a vassal tourney" or something like that.

Excellent idea. Wild cards would still qualify, even if they reached eliminations.

17 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

I can assist an Europeans (except Swedes - obviously) :)

Finns OK? :P

I'm a complete noob: I've got maybe just about ten games of real-life Armada under my belt and have never touched Vassal. But I might be interested if I have the time, I'll have to think about it.

Just now, ManInTheBox said:

This would be a good way to get matchups. Personal commitments mean that I wouldn't always be able to get in a game every week. Would that be too little availability?

I think could do 1 game every 10 days. Slower than that and ppl lose interest.

This sounds like a great idea!
I saw your post on the vassal page, but since that is preaching to the converted I have reposted this on the Armada facebook thread for Australia. Other people should feel free to get the word out too :D

Vassal Freshman Spring 2017 Tournament
Ever wanted to learn VASSAL ARMADA but didn't know how to start?
Green Knight is organising a tournament for those not already skilled with vassal, just to get the ball rolling.
Low commitment, standard 3 rounds Swiss, nothing fancy. Minimum 8 players (no maximum). A week or so to play a round, so this thing is done in less than an month.

Any level of RL skill is OK really, and it's OK to be familiar with Vassal. But no GK-level knowledge of the module or JJ-level play skills. So I guess most of you would be eligible :)

I'm also hoping some of the more experienced guys will be able to hang around a bit, offer some advice and maybe give people crash courses if needed.
Anyone interested?