Jump to content
Marinealver

If B-wing/E2 got a shield upgrade would it be worth the cost?

Recommended Posts

So since Pen & Ink changes to upgrade and pilot cards is perfectly acceptable, and taking a page from the Scum book on how to fix their dead scyk. What would oyu think of giving the B-wing an extra shield if they take the crew slot for 2 points?

So for hull upgrade not really because it keeps the B-wing vulnerable to thinks like Wampa and AHMs. Giving it a hull upgrade will put it beyond the reach of such a thing. There is still no shield regen so that many shield tokens will eventually go down unlike on a E-wing or T-70 which will continue to regenerate their 3 shields (4 if there is a shield upgrade).  Again why I think shield would be better?

So B-wing, grab a crew and a shield, will it be worth the modification slot and 2 points?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you're saying a new E2 upgrade, but with an increased cost? Or only giving the shield if they take a 2-point crew?

If it's the former, it's not going to happen. One thing FFG has been consistent with their errata is that the actual cost of the miniature or upgrade remains the same. It's been that way in Imperial Assault, and it's been that way in X-Wing. They will change the upgrade to match the cost instead of changing the cost to match the upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

So you're saying a new E2 upgrade, but with an increased cost? Or only giving the shield if they take a 2-point crew?

If it's the former, it's not going to happen. One thing FFG has been consistent with their errata is that the actual cost of the miniature or upgrade remains the same. It's been that way in Imperial Assault, and it's been that way in X-Wing. They will change the upgrade to match the cost instead of changing the cost to match the upgrade.

Sorry I forgot it is only 1 point, but still that is 1 point too much for what it does.

I guess 1 point for a shield upgrade might be too much but without regen it might work. After all it is not like Rebels have gonk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see a title that made it easier to turn.  The 2K is nice when you aren't blocked, but it sucks when a large base ship is touching you.  Maybe any red manauver and you can flip you ship 180?  That would give it a bunch of options to turn around and Stay on Target would be awesome on the B wing and I'm sure would make Paul happy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The B-Wing is in a weird place. It's a good frame, with some nice upgrade options, but it is simply not survivable enough to be worth putting points into. Which is why we rarely see the higher PS ships in competitive matches. 

On top of that, Plasma Torpedoes and TLTs might have been custom designed to hurt B-Wings more than any other ship. 

With all that in mind, if they're going to Pen & Ink errata the E2 mod, I think it should be 1 shields, 3 at PS5 and above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Moneyinvolved said:

I would like to see a title that made it easier to turn.  The 2K is nice when you aren't blocked, but it sucks when a large base ship is touching you.  Maybe any red manauver and you can flip you ship 180?  That would give it a bunch of options to turn around and Stay on Target would be awesome on the B wing and I'm sure would make Paul happy

Also would make Hera amazing. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to say no.  I think the generics are in a decent-ish place since you can run 4 of then and run a risk of being too powerful.

But the Elite Pilots are too expensive.  Have to think some more there but it really is that dial that kills off a B-Wing.

One more shield when you can not position yourself is just not going to cut it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people say that the B-wing's dial is underpowerd. I find it more unique than underpowered as there is nothing else in the game like it. The 2K and 1 hards even though they are red make it very good in certain situations, and it still has a 4 straight so it can move fast if needed to. Thing is the meta isn't for those kind of dials where tight maneuvers are needed. Much like the quadjumper, the dial is like nothing else but the meta is not for those types of ships. Maybe with ace-wing getting nerfed they might make it back. They were the counter to swarms before the TIE Phantom (and Defenders) came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blue Five said:

With the recent errata the B-wing may be fine once the dust settles. As far as the entire pool of ships goes I'm fairly sure it's above average.

But it's straight up worse than an ARC170. The B-Wing has a 2 K-turn, and that's it. The dial is worse, the stats are worse, the upgrade slots are worse.

I love the B-Wing, but there's no reason anymore to fly him because the ARC will always be the better choice. The only exception might be BBBBZ - because we didn't get generic ARCs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO B Wings are fine. Many changes made to our X Wing but never feel the need to fix Bs. Really.

We made Title to elite Bs to fire Ions and Primary weapons at once and as with all AGI 1 ships while running some missions some are upgraded to Agi 2 ( few times ). Small ship 8 "lives" Agi 1 is OK to us. And 5 lives Agi 2. Or 3 lives agi 3. Perhaps one of the backbones of the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

But it's straight up worse than an ARC170. The B-Wing has a 2 K-turn, and that's it. The dial is worse, the stats are worse, the upgrade slots are worse.

I love the B-Wing, but there's no reason anymore to fly him because the ARC will always be the better choice. The only exception might be BBBBZ - because we didn't get generic ARCs.

When writing scenarios we rake into account that ARCs are rare. In high priority missions we include one...perhaps two. But the dirty job of torpedoing that Raider is to that flight of 5 Bs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the fluff, B-Wings are supposed to have a  gyroscopic control system that keeps the cockpit steady for firing while rest of the fighter rolls around it. So how about a new title card for the B-Wings?

Title: Gyroscopic Control System

After you perform a Barrel Roll, you may perform a free Target Lock action.

A simple change that gives the B-wing a bit more action economy and frees up the System slot for something different from the predictable FCS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering a generic B-Wing is only 22 points I don't think anything is required for the ship.

Yeah AGI 1 is lousy especially when looking at TLT's but it's still a tough ship that packs a wallop. I will learn to effectively fly one someday. For now I will continue sucking with them. Badly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought the E2 mod should have been free. However, as mentioned above, any "fix" for that card is not going to re-cost it, just re-word it. With that in mind, I had this bobbing around my head (loathe as I am to consider the B-wing may need a fix, rather than a defence against TLT...): 

B-Wing/E2
B-Wing only. Modification. 
Your upgrade bar gains the <crew> upgrade icon. Equipped unique crew cost -2 points, to a minimum of 0. Equipped non-unique crew cost -1 points. You cannot equip crew worth 4 points or more.

Basically, you pay a point for a one or two point crew, and two points for a three point crew. No Gunner, Finn, or HotCoP, but two point Tacticians, one point Intel Agents, and lots of potential shenanigans with cheap or even free unique crew that might actually give the B-wing the slight kick up the ass it needs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make a B-wing only 0 pt generic crew, call it Veteran copilot or something, maybe he changes the 1 turns white, or delays the stress till the end of activation, or allows a free evade action on a green manuever.  Or maybe make a better Modification that helps the B, like that gyro card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

Make a B-wing only 0 pt generic crew, call it Veteran copilot or something, maybe he changes the 1 turns white, or delays the stress till the end of activation, or allows a free evade action on a green manuever.  Or maybe make a better Modification that helps the B, like that gyro card.

I've always liked gyro cards. And folk in the ccl got creative with the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...