Sign in to follow this  
Silidus

Favorite Overloard Decks and Plot Cards?

First time back playing the Overlord in a full campaign in a long time (RTL hits the table weekly but now that the group is warmed up we are starting HoB).

I have already picked the Unstable Forces plot deck, but I have yet to spend any XP on actual OL cards... so for those who enjoy being the Overlord, what are your favorite class decks, combos and strategies?

My current plan is to pick up some of the cards from SoulBinder, grab the servant and Dark Silhouette, Possessive, and Unblinking.  Pairing that with Descend to Madness, Wild Energy and Summon Tristayne (summoned with Reanimates when possible) to keep the threat tokens coming while using the Reanimates or Servant to fuel Chaotic Energy.

After that I may just pick up some of the Infector cards to reduce my deck size to let Unblinking come up more often and provide better cards.

Edited by Silidus

You can find my guide to plot decks on BGG, link in the sticky from any2cards.

I'm currently writing a guide for OL cards. In a week or two it will be out, unless I'm buried in work.

Thanks Indalecio, 

I had been reading it.  I am just kind interested in hearing some favorites from OL players, card/monster group combos, Agent and OL class combos etc.

I feel like we don't talk about the OL as a class enough on this board 8}.

There's many things that I like to play with as an Overlord

- First of all, even if Splig is not the best plot deck, I really like the "get them" ability of Splig, furthermore with kobolds. It costs many threat token to play, but really funny.

- The better one to me is indeed Skarn. Since many quest plays on time, having a tank able to make them lose time is the best way to win, and Skarn is the cheapest to summon with his plot deck. You can play him with the Rune of the Phoenix, and/or Rise again and Dark resilience to be sure he will make lose the much time ever to the heroes

- Playing Raythen's plot deck with Bandits and Placebo is a good way to lock what is the better for heroes to get stronger : money. Move the search tokens away, discard them with bandits, and make them lose the effect of the rare items they will earn. I played this once, and heroes had only 125 gold at the end of the interlude with only basic stuff, they were so angry that we never ended the campaign ^^

- Rylan Oliven is also a really good choice : he almost never gives his token to the heroes, oftenly discarding them instead for many advantages. On top of that, the agent can offer an action to a monster and could make him attack again, do a special ability, or anything else. Really cool !

- Trystaine Olliven is a great choice too if you like to fight like a monster, adding him with the warlord deck, you will be a really tank of massive destruction. Play with firebreath and heroes will eat the ground many times ! Except if you're unlucky with the X factor ...

- Valyndra is the better choice with if playing with big monsters : few of them, but incredibly powerfull ! To be sure of your invest of tokens, you may want to play her with Warlord and Basic I, so the few tokens you will give will be used for a massive onslaught.

- Ariad and Basic II are good choice too, since the basic II lack of rerolling the X, that Ariad counter. Since the Basic II is choosen, playing Shadowmancer and Changelings for be sure tests will be missed, and since Ariad is chosen, if you have some tokens to spend, addind the "curse" trait to Wendigos and Deep Elves and giving them the "+3 range to hit" will make them near impossible to hit (since having 6 range would be more than luck to hit them)

- Finally, playing the Soulbinder and Unkindness class are really powerfull. The Raven can be summoned by draining life of the Scourge (but the Scourge cannot be summoned when Raven flock dies), all cards of the two class can be used on the servant of your choice or the situation. Haven't found out a good plot deck with it but Verminous looks like fit since Servant have 4 or less life to activate his plot cards.

- Merrick Farrow with Magus class. Nothing really imaginative, using mystic might and greater power. Masques can be a good surprise on Deep Elves (with Riposte)

will think of some more

13 hours ago, rugal said:

First of all, even if Splig is not the best plot deck, I really like the "get them" ability of Splig, furthermore with kobolds. It costs many threat token to play, but really funny.

Talking about this, I have to mention what is my favourite combo that has ever come to my mind. On Act II, use Splig agent on a group of Cave Spiders, and be sure to buy the Expert Blow OL card. Buy also the Raided Armory Plot card. When you get the opportunity, unleash the sickest of attacks. Four Spiders attacking with BYY, s+2, +1 (per RA), +2 (per EB), free surge to recover EB. Then, on Agent Splig's turn, use "Get Them" to attack again with all four of them. The Heroes will hardly survive the onslaught (as long as you don't miss attacks).

2 hours ago, AndrewMM said:

Talking about this, I have to mention what is my favourite combo that has ever come to my mind. On Act II, use Splig agent on a group of Cave Spiders, and be sure to buy the Expert Blow OL card. Buy also the Raided Armory Plot card. When you get the opportunity, unleash the sickest of attacks. Four Spiders attacking with BYY, s+2, +1 (per RA), +2 (per EB), free surge to recover EB. Then, on Agent Splig's turn, use "Get Them" to attack again with all four of them. The Heroes will hardly survive the onslaught (as long as you don't miss attacks).

.. Every time I set up anything with EB, I miss, to the point where I never use an Expert Blow unless I have a Dark Fortune in my hand.  In which case, I usually miss twice.

Tristayne Olliven all the way, I love his plot card combo with overlord cards (especially with Enchanter class):

Explosive Fall +  Rings of Zhol'alam= Explosive Kobolds

Mortal Coil  + Rise Again + Rune of the Phoenix= Immortal Shadow Dragons

Wild Energy + Onslaught + Dragonbone Pendant + Blood Rage= Hellhounds from Hell :)

I currently play SoN, so I could not take Tristayne Olliven plot deck this time around. So I took Kyndrithul, and although this deck is nice and has interesting mechanic, I cannot find any good combo between his deck and overlord cards. Maybe something that takes advantage increasing the stamina cost:

Broken+ Worn down+ Exploit Weakness + Mistrust + Word of Despair+ Imploding Rift 

Unfortunately, the Heroes have a Bard so he regenerates their fatigue all the time...  

I think Ariad can really shine, but I have not tried her yet. 

Actually I find the option of increasing the cost of:  Whirlwind, Army of Death, Plague Cloud.

It is especially devastating for classes that use one basic skill all the time, Necromancer or Apothecary for example.

I'll add another one for the Tristayne plot deck.

Hybrid Sentinel + Wild Energy = consistent fire breath.

My group is absolutely getting their butt kicked by this guy.  Its one of the only groups that includes a Master monster in a 2 hero game, has great defense, high life total, and with Prey on the Weak and fire breath,  is just absolutely slaughtering them.

10 hours ago, Silidus said:

I'll add another one for the Tristayne plot deck.

Yes, but if Tristayne is not there, who is your second pick? Or maybe better, which Plot decks do you think are most fun? 

I do not like Zachareth since he is a bit too easy and not fun to play against. 

For me Ariad and Alric are a lot of fun, although Alric requires a lot of gimmicks. I think Raythen can be fun as well, but I do not have this one yet, so not tested. 

Alric a really good cards (dark champion is awfully stong!)

I personnaly really like Skarn and Valyndra (the first one to summon him on a small passage and make lose the more possible time for heroes, the second with Valyndra's shadow, but beware of the Prophet)

Ariad is really cool with basic 2 since it lack of reroll

I really like the Ardus Ix'Erebus deck.

One card in particular allows you to treat minions as masters (having the surge abilities and stats of masters) for one round after a master monster is killed.  This can be absolutely brutal in 4 hero games.  Heroes worried about Lash on Bone Horrors so they burn down the master? Guess what, now you have 2 lashes next round instead of one.  Or 2 firebreathing hellounds or hybrid sentials... etc.

By the way, I have a question about Skarn plot deck:

When an Overlord uses Delusional Path to move a hero on lava, if that hero has already spend both of his actions this turn before, is that hero defeated? 

That could add some flavor to this deck, as it is useful only for summoning Skarn over and over again. 

If Delusional Path is used during that hero's turn and he ends his turn on a lava space, he is defeated.

If he manages to leave the lava space before the end of his turn or if it is not his turn, he is not defeated at the end of the turn.

On 7.03.2017 at 10:03 PM, rugal said:

- Finally, playing the Soulbinder and Unkindness class are really powerfull. The Raven can be summoned by draining life of the Scourge (but the Scourge cannot be summoned when Raven flock dies), all cards of the two class can be used on the servant of your choice or the situation. Haven't found out a good plot deck with it but Verminous looks like fit since Servant have 4 or less life to activate his plot cards.

That is a though one, servant is treated as a minion monster, not master, so most of Alric, Trystain and Ardus cards will not work. They do not have any traits so Splig and Ariad also will not work well. Verminous cards do not work on act 2 Scourage since it has 7 hp, not 6. 

I would still go with Kyndrithul, since it can increase fatigue cost together with Soulbinder, but I am bias, and I like this plot deck a lot :)

I was even thinking about Bol'goreth plot deck, since Grotesque from Soulbinder and Ill Omen from Unkindness apply conditions that can be taken by Mass Mutation plot card. Plus if you use Envenom or Infected on act 2 Raven Flock (BRY dice), you really have option to put those conditions. However, this was not tested and I doubt it would be efficient.