MandoBard

Which would enhance the game more: Adding in the Clone Wars as an additional era with unique factions, or just adding CW era ships within the context of the current era

I see these 2 thrown around a bit, people either wanting a Clone Wars era ship in the base game(primary example being the Venator Class Star Destroyer), or the occasional thought of adding in the Old Republic and the CIS as seperate factions. Personally I think either could work in theory, but a mix of both could cause the greatest benefit. At some point FFG's going to reach an end of practical OT era ships to add, and while they could pull legacy ships, there is a stronger option.

Simply adding the Republic and the CIS in would cause issues because it'd take several waves to achieve the ability to create an actual fleet aligned with either side. However a way to benefit the game would be to do the first 2 waves of ships with classes that were still active during the OT. By doing Dual faction typing, say OR/Empire for the Venator, the ship would have an instant application, however the ship would come with commander upgrades and named ship classes that can only be used by the primary faction, in this case say Obi-Wan Kenobi for the Old Republic. Eventually FFG would add in ships that could only be practically be used by the CIS/OR such as a Droid command Ship, Droid Fighter pack, and a Clone Wars heroes and Villains pack. By giving the first waves dual utility it'd allow for the phasing in of full new factions, and possibly new tactics around them, while supporting the central start of the game as well.

This reasoning isn't perfect, and while it'd be a possible solution to continue expanding the game, who knows what FFG has planned. But it never hurts to talk about possibilities. So what's your two cents on the idea, and what would it take for such a concept to work

3 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

We already have several CW era ships in the game currently. Making two new factions wouldn't make sense. Besides FFG said they were going to stick to the Civil war era.

Shrug, pretty new to this, so didn't know. Although I can't think of any major ships in-game right now that were really iconic Clone Wars era ships. at least above fighter size. Just a thought I had that I thought might be worth discussing. Guess not.

I brought up in another thread a cool idea would be something along the lines of an expansion Core set for Clone Wars stuff/New Trilogy stuff. You would need the original core set maneuver tool and damage cards and so on, but it would have possibly a new rule set and three ships or so like the original core set and a handful of squads. It wouldn't be tournament legal or anything, but a little branch that they could keep expanding off of to add some variety. 

I would just rather have them focus their finite resources on balancing the game as Imperials and Rebels along with the campaigns. I also don't want pure CIS/GR ships because I don't want to buy them for upgrading my Rebels/Imperials. Honestly would rather see a scum faction before CIS/GR. (And I REALLY don't want to see a scum faction.)

4 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

I would just rather have them focus their finite resources on balancing the game as Imperials and Rebels along with the campaigns. I also don't want pure CIS/GR ships because I don't want to buy them for upgrading my Rebels/Imperials. Honestly would rather see a scum faction before CIS/GR. (And I REALLY don't want to see a scum faction.)

True, and there are a number of fun Clone wars era ships that would be super easy to do just during the Civil War period. Venator and Seperatist cruisers are obvious picks.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a Scum faction, used to mod SWEAWFOC back in the day, so there's quite a few ships from that. and in general, like Die-fighters. But I can understand why some wouldn't like it. That and justifying anything over Small size for the most part would be tough, although a medium sized Droid Control ship could work. Now that would be an amusing fleet, since the DCS is powerful, yet pretty vulnerable

I would really ABSOLUTELY love clone wars factions in the game but I think that ship has long since sailed. Rebels is the show now and with the spin offs all set in the OT era there is no impetus to return to the prequel era.

I think it more likely we will see the First Order and Resistance/New Republic appear as seperate factions many years from now once that trilogy is done. Before that maybe we will get a scum faction but that depends on whether the spinoffs provide us with Scum capital ships, if not then its extraordinarily unlikely.

For now I think the best hope is seeing the Venator come in as an Imperial ship and a seperatist ship for the rebels.

2 hours ago, MandoBard said:

Shrug, pretty new to this, so didn't know. Although I can't think of any major ships in-game right now that were really iconic Clone Wars era ships. at least above fighter size. Just a thought I had that I thought might be worth discussing. Guess not.

Cant think of any really iconic clone wars era ships? Yeah agree with the iconic part ;)

1 hour ago, Ophion said:

Am I allowed to say none of the above?

I think it would bugger up the aesthetic.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.  The Venator fits the Imperial aesthetic pretty well, while putting some republic or CIS ships in the Rebel fleet would match their aesthetic, which is "no unifying aesthetic" or maybe better put "some mon cal ships and a floating junkyard"

6 hours ago, MandoBard said:

Pelta

Victory

Arquitens

Really, the only ones we DON'T have are the Acclimator and the Venator.

And don't get down on yourself, totally worth the discussion, and I would LOVE seeing a Venator in the Imperial fleet.

Edited by FatherTurin

15 minutes ago, FatherTurin said:

Pelta

Victory

Arquitens

Really, the only ones we DON'T have are the Acclimator and the Venator.

And don't get down on yourself, totally worth the discussion, and I would LOVE seeing a Venator in the Imperial fleet.

Heh, always associated those more with Civil War era than Clone Wars, but I guess you're right on that. Although those latter 2combined with Quasar Fire class would round out the Imperial options pretty well.

Personally I'd love to see the Lucrehulk Droid Control ship in the game, but that'd make more sense has a Scum ship than a Rebel, I could see the Hutts buying an hiding a few during the pre-Clone Wars years as insurance. Hmmm, anybody have any objections to me putting together a potential Scum thread? There's some fun possibilities, and I have some class familiarity from my SWEATFOC days, since that's where a lot of the core ships would come from.

If FFG would create CIS and Republic, I would want them to integrate into what we currently have. I wouldn't want to play essentially the same game, but have it labelled as something else. Sure, it breaks the immersion for people when they have Rebels vs CIS, but it would be a whole lot easier to just add the 2 factions into Armada. 

Make it 4 factions, with cross over ships between CIS and Rebel, and Republic and Imp. This way you can still stick to your "general side" and have CIS vs Republic or Imp vs Rebel, but you also get the old CIS and Republic ships trickling into the Rebel and Imp fleets. If you limit what ships can do this, like the Arq, CR90, Pelta, Venator, and Providence, you can still maintain some hard faction lines. And you can have different stats for the same ship based on which faction it has. So a Republic Venator can be a maintained ship of the line, but an Imp Venator would be on par with the Vic.

8 hours ago, Card Knight said:

I brought up in another thread a cool idea would be something along the lines of an expansion Core set for Clone Wars stuff/New Trilogy stuff. You would need the original core set maneuver tool and damage cards and so on, but it would have possibly a new rule set and three ships or so like the original core set and a handful of squads. It wouldn't be tournament legal or anything, but a little branch that they could keep expanding off of to add some variety. 

I'd be interested in something along those lines. A partially self-contained set or sets meant to be played at 200 points on 3x3 as Clone Wars battles that included scenarios and/or objectives that could create 400 point 6x3 games with the stuff we've already got. The Clone Wars stuff would be scrounged equipment or some faction of Clones whose chips malfunctioned on Order 66 and they "went to ground" as it were. 

It doesn't seem likely though. The prequels-suck reflex is quite strong. The "Rebels" show got a fourth season so we're likely looking there and to Episode VIII for new material. 

I think the Venator is just about universally desired. Honestly, like was already said, the Acclamator was the only other common ship from the GAR that isn't in Armada already. There have to be a few around somewhere still used by Imps.

Rebels can get Rebel One. That covers TCW pretty solidly. 

This is also coming from a guy who badly wants droid fighters.  It will just be easier to introduce the last few ships as extensions of existing factions. 

2 minutes ago, Church14 said:

I think the Venator is just about universally desired. Honestly, like was already said, the Acclamator was the only other common ship from the GAR that isn't in Armada already. There have to be a few around somewhere still used by Imps.

Rebels can get Rebel One. That covers TCW pretty solidly. 

This is also coming from a guy who badly wants droid fighters.  It will just be easier to introduce the last few ships as extensions of existing factions. 

Once upon a time, canon said that the Acclamator-Class stayed on in the Imperial Navy and was largely used as an Assault Transport.  I'm sure that got nuked by Disney though.

Neither.

I want a true star wars ground minis game. Preferably set in the CW era. Think about it a small base turned sideways to hold a squad of infantry..... Just saying this game makes itself. And it would be like printing money.

I would want them added are additional factions.

Diversity of play is a key element in these types of games - its nice to not always face the same opposing forces.

* Republic - clone wars

* CIS - clone wars

* OLD republic - kotor era

* Sith empire - kotor era

* Corporate sector

Of course, as others have stated it would be cool to see a few cross overs - after all, some ships do cross the somewhat blurry lines here and there.

Finally, to the person who says "but a battle were Imperials are fighting old republic is not realistic" - neither is the same faction fighting with both sides fielding vader .....

Anyway, just my two cents.  Oh, and I would love a good large scale battle ground game too! ;)

To be honest, I'd like to see more "neutral" ships. What I mean is a released expansion having one card for Rebels and one for Imperials (Katana fleet dreadnoughts would be a perfect example, if they were still canon). Clone War Republic ships could easily fit into this idea.

I don't know if I'd want more factions. Neutral ships that can belong to either side would be interesting, but trying to add two entire factions is maybe too much. I'd love to see some of the "leftovers" make their way into Armada, though. Apparently the Rebels at some point had a ship like the one that Grievous used as his flagship, and they briefly had a droid control ship. That might be too big for Armada, but still. 

The rebels show has certainly shown that the droid armies were not all shut down so I could live with a CIS droid fleet faction.

Personally I'd like to see some creativity by adding a Chiss faction & some completely original designs.

Or perhaps the EU Confederation fleets, Bothans, Corellians etc etc. I saw a design for a Mandalorian ship on a website they other day that was pretty cool.