Sign in to follow this  
usgrandprix

Newbie questions, thanks for any help

Hi, We've played a few times and love it. We came up with a few questions and if any vets on here can help I'd really appreciate it.

1. On a test if you add dice that takes you over 5 dice do you roll the extra dice over 5?

RR: "Clues, Darkness, and Fire are not limited by the number of
components provided. If there are no remaining tokens of
the needed type, track those tokens on paper or with a small
object such as a coin.
All other components are limited by the quantities provided."

2. Do you have to make an evade check before you attempt to push a monster?

3. If you push an investigator and that investigator "chooses to move willingly" does the investigator need to make an evade check to use the move granted by push to move out of a monster's space? In other words is this pushed investigator moving voluntarily?

4. If you push an investigator and that investigator "chooses...to resist the movement" does the investigator need to make an evade check to use the move granted by push to move out of a monster's space? In other words is this pushed investigator moving voluntarily?

For the last three:

RR: "If an investigator in a monster’s space attempts to move out of the
monster’s space voluntarily or perform any action other than the
attack action or move action, that investigator must resolve an
evade check against the monster in his space."

"An investigator that moves out of a monster's space involuntarily
does not resolve an evade check."

and

"Determine Willingness: If pushing another investigator, that
investigator chooses to move willingly or to resist the movement."

Thanks for any help!

Hi,

On 1): I hadn't thought about it like this before, but the intention seems to be that you can roll more than 5 dice. Circumstantial evidence: the extra dice pack that is for sale contains 6 dice. 

On 2-4): the pusher has to make an evade check. Whether the investigator being pushed has to make a check as well is under debate: 

I would say no - if only because a common consequence of failing an evade check is having to forfeit the action - and being pushed is not an action, as such.

Edited by Frekol
Elaboration

Thanks. We need all the help we can get so we'll take the extra dice.

Thematically I don't like the evade check for pushing a monster specifically. I'm actually not evading it at all, much like an attack.

Thanks for the link. I think that clears it up pretty definitively.

"Involuntary movement is movement generated by an effect that
does not use the phrase “may” or “up to,” For example, “move
2 spaces away from the Ghost.”
• An investigator who moves out of a monster's space
involuntarily does not resolve an evade check."

For Push: "Resolve Movement: The monster or chosen investigator moves
1 space toward the chosen space."

So the pushed investigator is moving involuntarily and therefore makes no Evade check.

On 1, Rules Reference, Page 18, Section 2. If the number of dice needed exceeds the dice pool, roll, record passes, re-roll any as needed.

On 2, RR, Page 14, Push Action, Section 3. If pushing a monster you use the monster's brawn which is the number on the bottom in red. So it doesn't say anything about an evade check, just a strength test. Of course this is a contridiction of itself on Page 12 when it states that you have to make an Evade check. I agree with usgrandprix. No need for an Evade since is comes off attack like, you are directly affecting the monster.

On 3, Evade for the pusher, not the pushee.

On 4, Evade for the pusher, and then a strength test between the two investigators to see if the pushing takes place.

Welcome and hope you're having fun!

19 hours ago, LordPyrex said:

On 2, RR, Page 14, Push Action, Section 3. If pushing a monster you use the monster's brawn which is the number on the bottom in red. So it doesn't say anything about an evade check, just a strength test. Of course this is a contridiction of itself on Page 12 when it states that you have to make an Evade check. I agree with usgrandprix. No need for an Evade since is comes off attack like, you are directly affecting the monster.

On the other hand getting in close enough to push a monster is significantly different than attacking with a 2x4, axe, gun etc…  you have to get in close enough that you would put yourself in harms way and need to be careful of a counter attack (i.e. evade)… unless you're a judo master or something LOL