Shenannigan

New FAQ. It's crazy

8 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

In what universe are people happy that Palaptine, the galactic Emperor and one of the most powerful Sith to have ever lived, is on a comparable power level to a chatty cathy protocol droid?

In a universe where I'm playing a game of pushing plastic toy spaceships around a mat and balanced gameplay takes precedence over fluff.

As somebody noted before, the outspoken minority had their way.

Palpatine was made pretty much useless for the price and slot cost. He needed a ship in the first place in order to get him into play, usually a BAD ship! I bet all Raider owners are having a ball.

Thanks FFG, for ruining a working and properly priced card.

14 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

In a universe where I'm playing a game of pushing plastic toy spaceships around a mat and balanced gameplay takes precedence over fluff.

Palpatine is also significantly better.  When's the last time you saw threepio on a 3-4 agility ship?  Threepio is basically only good on a 1 agility ship where you have a 5/8 chance of getting a free evade.  Palpatine on a higher agility ship has a MUCH higher chance of giving you a free evade result, because the more dice you have, the more likely you are to have blanks or eyeballs to convert.   And as pointed out, he also works on offense.  Or when you roll over a rock.  Or a bomb.  Or any other effect that maeks you roll a die and you want to guarantee the result.

2 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

No, it's not independent.  But it is irrelevant to your original rant about "powerful Sith Lords and chatty protocol droids."

Don't conflate IP fluff and game play mechanics/balance.

It's not irrelevant at all. Palpatine is arguably the most powerful player in the entire Star Wars galaxy, and deserves an equally powerful in-game effect. This change effectively knocks him entirely out of the top tier, relegating him to B list status which is NOT something that is good for the game.

That's your opinion.  It's not a fact.

It's far too early to tell what effect this might have on how Palp is used. 

Personally, I like the fact there is some actual thought required as to when/if you use him as opposed to him being a crutch to fall back on.  Perhaps a minor points reduction or dropping to a single crew slot was merited, but lets see what happens with this change first, shall we?

If FFG changed him once; they can change him again after observing what has changed.

7 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

It's not irrelevant at all. Palpatine is arguably the most powerful player in the entire Star Wars galaxy, and deserves an equally powerful in-game effect. This change effectively knocks him entirely out of the top tier, relegating him to B list status which is NOT something that is good for the game.

So, for the game to "be great again", Palpatine needs to be ultrapowerfull and cheap enought to be ever present in the meta.

¿More or less than Vader or Luke?

¿We need superpowerfull and cheap cards of Obi and Yoda?

1 minute ago, Draconis Hegemonia said:

So, for the game to "be great again", Palpatine needs to be ultrapowerfull and cheap enought to be ever present in the meta.

¿More or less than Vader or Luke?

¿We need superpowerfull and cheap cards of Obi and Yoda?

For X Wing to be great, the iconic and important characters and ships need to be in the top tier of the meta. X Wings and TIE Fighters and the other OT ships should dominate the tables, and the most seen characters should be people like Vader, Wedge, Luke, Han and Leia, not Zuckuss or Manaroo or some other bounty hunter no one had ever heard of before they started playing this game.

The IP is what made this game great, and if it gets sacrificed on the altar of game balace and competitive play then the game will die.

If I could say one thing about this FAQ, it's that FFG want to steer away from easy-mode token gains and dice modifications to focus on tighter flying and better planning.

Personally, I think Zuckuss is warranted; Palpatine is overkill; Manaroo could have been range 3 and x-7 is a good compromise (I was a fan of that card).

I forsee a big shift towards Kylo and the Upsilon shuttle. Which is perfect as First Order is my bag at the moment!

25 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

For X Wing to be great, the iconic and important characters and ships need to be in the top tier of the meta. X Wings and TIE Fighters and the other OT ships should dominate the tables, and the most seen characters should be people like Vader, Wedge, Luke, Han and Lei

But those ships are from the very first waves. So, for the game health, the meta should be stagnated forever?

At tournament level?

9 hours ago, Shot in the Dark said:

As a new player who has been playing the game only a little more than a year, this FAQ and the previous one really make me question getting into the game and continueing with it.  I thought the game was stable.  But these are huge changes.  I want stable rules and minimal errata.  This seems like I/we are playtesting the game.

I think you are exaggerating a bit. These changes will have the most effect at the top level of competitive play. At my local club, I haven't run any of the errated cards for weeks in casual play (faced them a few times mind).

X-wing was conceived as a fairly casual game. It has now grown into something larger and more competitive than originally imagined and FFG are still catching up with that to some extent. Don't fret, just enjoy the game.

A hard way to play something after a FAQ, in competitive play means "you have better options" then it concludes in less use of theese things. Defenders, Palp, Zuck, Manaroo. I don't know if it is a good or bad way to do the things right for the meta-game. Its a fact that the tier 1 lists are vulnerable against a faq nerf in future. That's my opinion.

Edited by Riky wan Kenobi

26 minutes ago, Draconis Hegemonia said:

But those ships are from the very first waves. So, for the game health, the meta should be stagnated forever?

At tournament level?

Yes. Like, totally yes. Above all else the game needs to retain it's strong Star Wars appeal, and having obscure ships never seen on screen like the bounty hunters or some of the more esoteric Rebel or Imperial ships is bad for the game. 

The meta doesn't need to stagnate, but the most poweful ships need to remain the most prevalent ships on the table. Why are there so many calls for an X Wing fix, a ship that was released before wave 1? Because despite it being one of the oldest ships in the game, people want to fly it and see it flown. IP matters, and in a game like this it matters a LOT and just riding roughshod over it in order to keep the tournament scene flowing is going to eventually kill the game.

11 hours ago, DailyRich said:

See, I like the fact that Palp has some risk to him now.

Despite having to pay 8 pts, two crew slots and being forced to take space cow to use him? Are you joking or just don't have any idea how to play this game?

7 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

Yes. Like, totally yes. Above all else the game needs to retain it's strong Star Wars appeal, and having obscure ships never seen on screen like the bounty hunters or some of the more esoteric Rebel or Imperial ships is bad for the game. 

The meta doesn't need to stagnate, but the most poweful ships need to remain the most prevalent ships on the table. Why are there so many calls for an X Wing fix, a ship that was released before wave 1? Because despite it being one of the oldest ships in the game, people want to fly it and see it flown. IP matters, and in a game like this it matters a LOT and just riding roughshod over it in order to keep the tournament scene flowing is going to eventually kill the game.

I am the one who loves bounty haunters in SW university. I want to run them. I play only scum for that.

Some people love Rebels, and want to play Ghost &co.

And what about the others who enjoied Ep7? Rey?

Oh, and some others love the Black Sun Organisation (as I do).

It seems a pretty unfair point of view to me. 

Edited by Cerve

1 hour ago, Chucknuckle said:

I fail to see how the Emperor being less useful in a dogfight is bad for game balance.

Above all else the game needs to retain its strong Star Wars appeal, and having obscure ships never seen on screen like the bounty hunters or some of the more esoteric Rebel or Imperial ships is bad for the game. 

FFG nerfed x7 and fired killshots into Zuckuss (although he's still broken on a huge ship but he'll probably be disallowed from them by the tournament rules like Navigator), Manaroo and Palpatine.

Edited by Blue Five

21 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

I think the opposite, the OT prevalence is great in casual play (in casual play, actually, is great that everyone fly with whatever they want, and as OT ships are known by more people, they are prevalent).

But I think that maintaing the prevalence of the same 2 ships for 5 years in the tournament scene... thats would be a real danger for the live of the game (in the tournament scene at least, casual will be casual).

Of course the better scenario is an utopic one with exactly the same pressence of new and old ships even in the most competitive scene, al ships, al cards... But between the game as we have now, and the game you ask as dessirable... I find the first much more able to survive for the years to come.

1 hour ago, Chucknuckle said:

Conversely, I always found it a little silly that the emperor of the freaking galaxy was slumming it in a shuttle in the middle of a dogfight and would actually consider it worth bothering to help his allies as opposed to just hyperjumping the f out of there and leaving them all to die.

Fluff cuts both ways.  If you want to find s fluff justification for something, it's usually possible to do so if you start from the question: the mechanics are fine, WHY are they fine?

Just now, thespaceinvader said:

Conversely, I always found it a little silly that the emperor of the freaking galaxy was slumming it in a shuttle in the middle of a dogfight and would actually consider it worth bothering to help his allies as opposed to just hyperjumping the f out of there and leaving them all to die.

Fluff cuts both ways.  If you want to find s fluff justification for something, it's usually possible to do so if you start from the question: the mechanics are fine, WHY are they fine?

I always imagine it as a rescue scenario. The aces are trying to protect Palp from being captured by traitors or Rebels. It specifically reminds me of a level from the old TIE Fighter PC game where Zaarin tries to kidnap the Emperor who's just traveling on his starliner and you have to go and save him.

54 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

I always imagine it as a rescue scenario. The aces are trying to protect Palp from being captured by traitors or Rebels. It specifically reminds me of a level from the old TIE Fighter PC game where Zaarin tries to kidnap the Emperor who's just traveling on his starliner and you have to go and save him.

And the outcome where the emperor dies but the kidnappers are all killed is a victory for the empire.

5 minutes ago, Verlaine said:

And the outcome where the emperor dies but the kidnappers are all killed is a victory for the empire.

Just a decoy. One of his many doubles. A trap to kill Solo, or Antilles, or Miranda... In most cases, yes, a full imperial Víctor y and another show of the Emperors cunning.

Edited by Draconis Hegemonia