Shenannigan

New FAQ. It's crazy

2 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

In what universe are people happy that Palaptine, the galactic Emperor and one of the most powerful Sith to have ever lived, is on a comparable power level to a chatty cathy protocol droid?

Your feelings speak more to the unintended power level of C-3P0 than anything about Palpatine, in my opinion. What was supposed to be a "Never tell me the odds" joke turned out to be an incredible durability upgrade. So, hate Goldenrod, not the palpatine nerf.

3 hours ago, Larky Bobble said:

They sold the Raiders. Palp had his time....

Just like Manaroo  and the rest...

Long live the next wave of juicy Star Warsness, it looks like it could be fun! 

:)

Really wishing I had sold my extra Palp card sooner. I imagine I'm stuck with that thing now.

In what universe are people happy that Palaptine, the galactic Emperor and one of the most powerful Sith to have ever lived, is on a comparable power level to a chatty cathy protocol droid?

If nothing else, Palp costs more than twice as much as threepio, and takes up TWO crew slots.

And can be used on any ship on the table not just the one it's on, and can affect any dice roll not just defence, and isn't really tied to only being good on ships with 1 agility.

Palp was previously undercosted - perhaps even a good example of a card that doesn't HAVE a fair points cost.  This Palp is maybe a point or two overcosted, but he's still more balanced than he used to be for his cost.

1 minute ago, takfar said:

It means you have to take a dice roll result into account when playing in a game where there are dice rolls. You have to analyze how the round is going to go, and decide whether (considering you're attacking first) to guarantee that crit right now and hope you survive an enemy attack without using Palps for an evade, OR you forego that crit and guarantee one evade.

Before the change, if your first roll goes right, you don't have a decision to make: you simply don't use the power, period. If anything, that effect was even more chance based: the result of the first roll, not your experience and skill at analyzing the odds of scucess, was the deciding factor on whether to use the card.

With the new rules, It's a lot more tactical to have to think about your odds of hitting or surviving whatever attack comes later in advance, rather than in retrospect. You have to think about whether to push your luck in attack or defense. Yes, the card is weaker, but it's also more interesting and more fun, imo.

It also makes more thematic sense that Palps is watching the fight and focusing his Sith powers to help direct a specific crucial attack or push an evade, rather than sensing every possible battle interaction and guiding a shot into a critical spot after it's already missed, or veering an enemy hit away from your ship after it's already hit. I don't recall him ever being presented as this omniscient entity that can act beyond the possibilities of space and time; in fact, he's always pointing and cackling and being very physically involved every time he uses his powers in the movies.

I think it's perfectly valid to like the change! I'm glad that you find it more fun.  I think we have a disagreement about what constitutes greater chance, when you have the information already in front of you. Remember, even before the nerf, you still had to weigh the odds of your action being worth it.  But here, if you roll poorly, palp is less optimal.  He's no longer the comfy cushion that he was before. 

I think my original argument still stands though. That it may not have needed a nerf, and that in it's current state, it may not be worth the points and the double crew slot. 

I remember Palp as the crotchety old man that fell down a hole due to a lack of railings. C3PO might actually have even walked faster than him at that point... Even as Sheev he was mugged and disfigured by Snoke Windu, so you know that when he's on his DS2 throne under that robe his pants are hiked up to his armpits.

x7 still hands out evade token. It is just now there are restrictions (can't be stressed, can't bump).

Zuckuss can't chow down on stress tokens like Tycho can (unless he is on the C-ROC).

Palp is now more by design than coincidence. When you need that crit (such as I'll show you the dark side of the force) you tap him before the roll not after. So now palp shuttles are a little more vulnerable to random chance like everyone else.

Manaroo got smashed by a sledge hammer. No seriously FFG wants all 2 and 3 toilet seat lists gone. Manaroo might as well not be used anymore.

Some cards with the corrections in a "most wanted" like expansión would be fabulous at this time.

Otherwise, really good faq, FFG shows that they are looking at the health of his best selling game at the competitive level.

I hope FFG will also show the same level of care with the "casual" play in a short time, hopes for a thematic campaing Armada style.

The game was allready in very good shape, this could be even better.

1 hour ago, Astech said:

Fel's Wrath is still so bad that his FAQ isn't updated. I just want to fly him in a tournament just to mess with the TO.

I took him to GenCon one year. The one time all day that his ability came up range 1 against Mauler Mithel, I blanked my roll. I even saved my focus token for offense because Fel's Wrath was dead anyway. Bummer that was.

1 hour ago, Shot in the Dark said:

As a new player who has been playing the game only a little more than a year, this FAQ and the previous one really make me question getting into the game and continueing with it.  I thought the game was stable.  But these are huge changes.  I want stable rules and minimal errata.  This seems like I/we are playtesting the game.

You want a game that isn't constantly being improved upon?

Just now, benskywalker said:

You want a game that isn't constantly being improved upon?

"Improved" is an interesting take on it.  I say it was published in a broken state.  These are not minor tweaks, these are major re-writes.  This a do over to make up for lack of proper play testing.

Just now, Shot in the Dark said:

"Improved" is an interesting take on it.  I say it was published in a broken state.  These are not minor tweaks, these are major re-writes.  This a do over to make up for lack of proper play testing.

Even if that is the case it would be considered improvement. I hope they keep doing what they're doing because having a game with this many option be perfect isn't going to happen. I want to see that issues are corrected. 

X7 Good happy with that its the way it should have been

Manaroo. Nerfed to much I would have been fine with 1-3 but the part of her ability that needed nerfing her moving RED target locks. I was fine with the way she worked PS 4 is easy to get locks on and kill in a Alpha strike her sending the RED Target Locks to a ship on the other side of the board was the only thing I found to be annoying

Zukuss was to much should have only been nerfed to in arc only. that was all that was needed. would have fixed the card without so much text

Palp changes I guess was FFG deciding that they don't want Palp Aces builds any more I don't think it needed to happen everyone said it was broken but how is a 29 point easy to kill card broken? I never had a problem with it I guess FFG were sick of having another "Biggs" in the game

Now he sucks tho I might start playing with him :P

Execute order 66

1 hour ago, Hawkstrike said:

Good changes overall.

Slightly annoyed that these changes would have converted three of my four System Open losses into victories while not affecting my non-meta list, but them's the breaks.

If these changes were in effect, your opponents probably would have been running completely different lists.

Question:

did FFG mess up the FAQ for Hotshot Co-pilot? As worded now, both attacker and defender need to spend a focus token. 

Otherwise it should have read:

When attacking a ship with Hotshot Co-pilot equipped, the attacker must spend the focus token after the "Declare Target" step and before the end of the "Modify Defense Dice" step.

When defending against a ship with Hotshot Co-pilot equipped, the defender must spend a focus token after the "Declare Target" step and before the end of the "Modify Attack Dice" step. 

Edited by X-Aegis

1 hour ago, pkreynolds said:

If these changes were in effect, your opponents probably would have been running completely different lists.

True, true. Certainly the Dengaroo player would have; the Palp Defenders are still viable, but have less room for error. I blocked a lot of Defenders to no avail. 

1 hour ago, Arkanta974 said:

Look like the Faq hit hard ! For some reason I have strange feeling about this. One part is happy to see the meta go away but nothing about the TLT ?

And what about mid interceptor pilot ? Kir Kanos, Lorrir need a EPT

I know right, if they are going to be dumping ink on the cards why not all of them. Hawks are now firepower 2, X-wings are 20 points, Lorrir, Horton, and Deathrain get EPTs, and Falcon becomes a mobile firing arc.

Well at this time I might be using my phone more than pulling out upgrade cards. I'll pull the pilot cards but I'm going to need something that can keep track of all the changes. I could keep track of Tactician being Limited, and Heavy Scyk's hull upgrade, even Dead eye small ship only.  The rest of the erratas didn't change the way the cards function, but now there is just too much change to keep track of and the erratas actually do change how the card functions.

Printouts are now piratically a requirement.:(

Edited by Marinealver

2 hours ago, Shot in the Dark said:

Major rewrite is a bit hyperbolic no?

They changed 4 cards, all for the better.

26 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

True, true. Certainly the Dengaroo player would have; the Palp Defenders are still viable, but have less room for error. I blocked a lot of Defenders to no avail. 

Not for nothing, though - blocking Defenders before this FAQ was still a smart play; PTL Ryad hates getting blocked. This change makes sense though; I always though that still getting the Evade token even if you get blocked felt off. I'm glad they did this, it's definitely the slickest change here - x7 is certainly still very powerful, but you have to fly a bit more carefully. The other changes are major power reductions.