Shenannigan

New FAQ. It's crazy

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Generally speaking, does this change Palp that much? That dice roll you absolutely need to make is not really unexpected. You know Soontir really needs to evade, you know Whisper really needs that crit...now you just have to commit.

Obviously this removes Palps flexibility, but does it change his power? I'm thinking if not, then the change is pointless.

Yes it does actually. Palp's power gets washed out quickly the more instances there are to use him. It wasnt that big of a deal since you could largely hold off on using him until either the last attack (might as well make that hit a crit) or until one of your defenses botch. Now you HAVE to use him for a specific event in your list every time (Soontir's defense) because you cant roll it and happen to not need it so you can palp something else.

he should NOT be 2 crew AND 8 points if you cant save him if you didnt need him after all.

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Generally speaking, does this change Palp that much? That dice roll you absolutely need to make is not really unexpected. You know Soontir really needs to evade, you know Whisper really needs that crit...now you just have to commit.

Obviously this removes Palps flexibility, but does it change his power? I'm thinking if not, then the change is pointless.

if yes, then his points cost needs reducing.

It does because you can't choose to modify your results if things go your way.  What it really does is add a pretty huge degree of variance. If I roll 3/3 hits, I don't need to Palp.  But this says I have to now. 

17 minutes ago, Punning Pundit said:

I'd be 100% on board with the Palp change if they also said that if all the dice you rolled were the desired result without Palp intervention, it wouldn't count as your "once per round". If I roll all crits, don't punish me for that unlikely happenstance.

See, I like the fact that Palp has some risk to him now.

Huh. Well, the nerf bat is quite something. Seems like some of this stuff came a little too late, though. Palpatine has been a bit out of the meta as it is, as has Dengaroo, and Defenders are getting pushed out by Paratanni.

It will be interesting to see how the Manaroo nerf affects Paratanni. Still probably Tier 1, just a little more difficult to fly.

Love it. Love the changes, and the more proactive direction FFG seems to be taking. Hopefully they'll manage to bring more variety to the tables and the discussions, by shooting down consistently overpowered combos that reduce most gameplay to the same four or so lists. Also, Rebels weren't hit, so yay for faction balancing as well!

1 minute ago, Vineheart01 said:

Uh, theres nothing red for PTL and it says nothing about 2 stress from a previous faq.

I think he's confusing the two stress from using PTL and EI with a PTL nerf. Or something? I honestly have no idea what he's talking about. Unless this is some weird attempt at a joke.

Lame. What's the point of having cards with the rules on if I have to constantly refer to the faq to see if the text is still accurate? At the very least FFG should let people attend official tournaments with squad-builder print-outs now, since at least the text on those will be more accurate than the text on the cards!

14 minutes ago, takfar said:

Love it. Love the changes, and the more proactive direction FFG seems to be taking.

Proactive? Proactive?! These are totally reactive changes because of unforeseen broken combos and stuff which is awful because of this:

1 minute ago, Chucknuckle said:

Lame. What's the point of having cards with the rules on if I have to constantly refer to the faq to see if the text is still accurate? At the very least FFG should let people attend official tournaments with squad-builder print-outs now, since at least the text on those will be more accurate than the text on the cards!

6 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Proactive? Proactive?! These are totally reactive changes because of unforeseen broken combos and stuff which is awful because of this:

I said more proactive. I sure as hell prefer a very specific errata directed at four cards that dominate the game (out of I don't even know how many hundreds they have put out by now), rather than waiting 1-2 years for a "veterans" set as an attempt to rebalance the game.

I don't even play competitive, but I like watching, and it's boring to watch the same half dozen lists fighting over and over again. It's like watching chess, but every player gets to choose the pieces they will use, but the horse totally dominates the current meta, so you're stuck watching horse vs horse, maybe a rook once in a while, but that one gets trounced easily enough.

Of course it would be infinitely better if they never released an unbalanced card, and the tournament scene was full of variety, with every ship being used competitively in some shape or form. It's an unrealistic goal, tho, so card erratas are, in my opinion, a positive measure.

Meh. I rather they correct their balancing mistakes after they become known rather than leave us stuck with an unbalanced game. I do agree with the second part of the statement, tho. Either that, or release inexpensive errata card packs or even printable errata stickers (I know, I know, some people will hate them. I sleeve my cards personally, so I'd be fine with em), if owning the base card is as valuable to them as it appears to be.

@takfar, you make some really good points. I am not happy about having to relearn all these card texts, but it will be okay in the end.

I'm still shaking my head about Palpatine, though. Good thing I didn't play him very often anyway.

P.S. Lt. Lorrir needs an errata to remove that stress token penalty. After that, FFG could do no wrong in my book.

Actually, I don't mind any of these. x7 makes sense, you shouldn't get a token when you smack into something (though you still can get it by just running over an obstacle I think). Palp is now basically as powerful as C3PO, what with having to decide to use him before a roll. Manaroo has to be flown in formation rather than just kitting around the board at range 3. Zuckuss is limited to uusing every 1-2 rounds to clear stress. Doesn't invalidate any of the builds, just makes them less powerful. Opens up the game a little.